Author Topic: Brandon's Secret Project  (Read 19310 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's Secret Project
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »
Someone will publish this.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

libraloco

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »
Someone will publish this.

Like it's under contract or it's so awesome that someone will for sure take it?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 03:15:47 AM »
I edited the post, but it didn't keep.

The way the market is now, there is no way that Brandon will not be able to find a publisher for anything he writes (as long as Brandon himself is happy with it). So while it's not under contract currently, that's not a problem.

There are a number of authors out there who only write under contract once they have established careers. For some authors, that is detrimental to their creativity. Lois McMaster Bujold mentioned that before she wrote her Sharing Knife first two books (it was one big book to start with, and IMHO should have stayed that way). Writing the books with no contract was much less stressful.

Brandon is doing something similar now. He has no external demands or expectations on his time for the rest of the year (except for touring). So he can write something that's fun and relaxing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 03:43:02 AM »
Well, according to Brandon's twitter, it involves a necromancer protagonist.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
Well, according to Brandon's twitter, it involves a necromancer protagonist.

Surely the protagonist won't be an evil undead overlord.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
maybe he is preparing his platform to challenge John Scalzi for the Science Fiction Writers Association presidency?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »

The way the market is now, there is no way that Brandon will not be able to find a publisher for anything he writes (as long as Brandon himself is happy with it). So while it's not under contract currently, that's not a problem.

There are a number of authors out there who only write under contract once they have established careers. For some authors, that is detrimental to their creativity. Lois McMaster Bujold mentioned that before she wrote her Sharing Knife first two books (it was one big book to start with, and IMHO should have stayed that way). Writing the books with no contract was much less stressful.

Brandon is doing something similar now. He has no external demands or expectations on his time for the rest of the year (except for touring). So he can write something that's fun and relaxing.

john scalzi wrote that he did the same thing with his Little Fuzzy reboot. I would think that midlist authors may not be able to afford to write without a contract. If you spend alot of time on a story, then no one buys it or it gets you less money than you thought. That could be a problem for authors just getting by.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
Since it's his secret project, it doesn't sound like he's that worried about it getting published...it's something that he wants to do because he wants to do it.  Kind of like the books that he wrote back when he worked at the hotel.  I've got a few projects like that that I want to do that will probably have to wait until I retire...*sigh*
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »
"Secret project almost at 50%. For those guessing, yes it is urban fantasy. No vampires, with or without sparkles."
http://twitter.com/brandonsandrson

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
Urban fantasy with a necromancer hero? And pizza? Pizza with the Devil is my guess.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »
john scalzi wrote that he did the same thing with his Little Fuzzy reboot. I would think that midlist authors may not be able to afford to write without a contract. If you spend alot of time on a story, then no one buys it or it gets you less money than you thought. That could be a problem for authors just getting by.

I should think there's no such thing as wasted time spent writing, every bit you do is practice and you never know when you'll be able to use something you wrote a while ago but which didn't sell at the time. So long as you're not blowing off contract work or some other thing you could be doing to pay for bacon, I don't see how any writing isn't constructive in some way, even if it doesn't directly result in a sold book.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
Yep...even Brandon's "doodles" are artwork compared to most authors...I'll take his practice works as well as the ones that he publishes.  :)
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

ROSHtafARian

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »

Peter, does this mean we might yet see books like Dark One, Steelheart or The King's Necromancer after all, if finding a publisher is no longer an issue?  Or is the problem with those books now simply that Brandon doesn't like them enough to sell them?

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Necromancer Urban Fantasy!!!  Hmm......do you guys thinks it'll be YA or Adult?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 03:17:19 AM »
Necromancer Urban Fantasy!!!  Hmm......do you guys thinks it'll be YA or Adult?

A bit of both.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier