Author Topic: Brandon's Secret Project  (Read 19312 times)

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's Secret Project
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 03:43:22 AM »
Oh someone PLEASE!!!!!! waterboard Goodkind!! My hope is that he is working with scientists to manufacture shardblades.  ;D

This would no doubt inspire Goodkind to write a novel about the incident, explaining -- at great length -- how waterboarding him was perfectly justified. Unfortunate side-effects would be a) sex scenes involving waterboarding, and b) Goodkind writing another novel. So I have to say it's not worth it.
My spleen hurts from laughing so hard.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

kbob_o

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »

lol.  SCRIBBLER TWO!!!!! ZOMG!

For those of you who weren't around "Y.A.S.P. (Yet Another Secret Project)" was Scribbler.

So I conclude mark II must mean Scribbler II. =DDDDDDDDDDDD

That's funny. As soon as I read twitter I responded "scribbler 2?!?!?!". Makes sense since Scribbler got picked up.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:14 AM »
Scholastic turned down Alcatraz 5 (if I remember right), which means that he can have someone else publish it. He said that he would probably write Nightblood like he did Warbreaker, where he writes some chapters, post them online, and continue (Which will be a mess now that he's so popular).

My money is on a completely new novel (unlikely), Elantris 2, or, probably, a short story or two. I've really enjoyed his sci-fi short stories in the past, and look forward to more of them.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 04:09:48 AM »
18% down on Brandon's Super Secret Project Mark II!!! :D
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 04:27:44 AM »
Scholastic turned down Alcatraz 5 (if I remember right), which means that he can have someone else publish it.

The trouble as I understand it is that, due to Scholastic's mismarketing and underprinting of Alcatraz, it hasn't sold very well, so it's a tough sell to get any other publisher to pick up the final book of a series that they don't own (and so don't control the marketing/distribution of). If it had strong sales numbers backing it up then it might be a risk worth taking, but as it is...
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 04:32:34 AM »
Scholastic turned down Alcatraz 5, but will keep the first 4 books until they go out of print. So it's hard to get a sequel published somewhere else.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
There's now a meter on Brandon's website for Super Secret Project Mark II. If he's already 18% done with it, I don't think it could be novel-length...

But this is Brandon, after all. You never know.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »
Peter, what's Brandon's percentage marking based on?  Number of pages done?  Is there a certain landmark that gets him to the next percentage?  First draft finished is 50%?  Final draft is 85%?  Publishing ready is 100%?  Or is it each phase gets its own zero to 100 percentage?  Just curious as to how the "Mind of Sanderson" works.  :)
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »
Peter, what's Brandon's percentage marking based on?  Number of pages done?  Is there a certain landmark that gets him to the next percentage?  First draft finished is 50%?  Final draft is 85%?  Publishing ready is 100%?  Or is it each phase gets its own zero to 100 percentage?  Just curious as to how the "Mind of Sanderson" works.  :)

I'm not Peter, but as an observer I have observed:

1. Each phase gets its own bar. So first draft, rewrite, revision, etc. all get their own bars.
2. For drafts, each bar's percentage is  based on Brandon's rough estimate of how big something will turn out. He has been known to adjust this target during the course of writing.
3. For revisions, the bar's percentage is obviously how far he has progressed through the revision. So when half the book has been revised, the bar reads 50%.
4. The bars don't get updated very often. IMHO that's a good thing—he really does have better things to do.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »
Okay, so now Brandon says he's done things (secret projects) like this before, and of the five or so he's done only one's made it to print. If that is Alcatraz, I wonder what the other four are...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »
Scribbler, Dark One, King's Necromancer, and...? There's one more I know about but that's a short story, and then there's that other thing...and that other thing...one of which may be what he's working on now, but it may be something completely new.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »
Scribbler, Dark One, King's Necromancer, and...? There's one more I know about but that's a short story, and then there's that other thing...and that other thing...one of which may be what he's working on now, but it may be something completely new.

Can anyone give a quick summary of each story?
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
Especially the Thing, That One Thing, and The Other Thing. Those sound awesome!

;D

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Especially the Thing, That One Thing, and The Other Thing. Those sound awesome!

;D

I know those titles just really grab your attention, haha. :)

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 03:15:06 AM »

Wasn't there also Steelheart?