Author Topic: ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** Theory on Elhokar's Mysterious Assassination Attempts  (Read 7544 times)

guy

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** Theory on Elhokar's Mysterious Assassination Attempts
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
that would make more sense, so he could have been of a totally different order of radiants, one that we know nothing about.

jcats

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
Jasneah mentions that Two of the Orders of Knights Radiant had inherent Soulcasting ability's, which is what the Fabrials are based on.

Theory; what if one of the Orders had normal soulcasting: Transformation of Object to Another; and the other order had a Different type?  perhaps, Transformation of Self to Other?  baiscly, rebuilding your body from wounds, reinforcing your body against blows, enhancing...

just tossing this idea out...

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
Repairing badly damaged shardplate breaks gemstones, too. I think. I remember Dalinar thinking that at one point, but I could be remembering wrong.

Not to mention that just using the plate can break gemstones. Elhokar just broke more than could reasonably be expected.

Maybe Elhokar unconsciously tried to soulcast in a moment of stress (like how Shallan was stressed the first time she succeeded in soulcasting, or Kaladin was always stressed whenever he succeeded in unconsciously using his powers), but his shardplate interfered with the process. He broke gemstones trying, but no effects were visible due to the interference.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

TnSRaven

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Maybe Elhokar unconsciously tried to soulcast in a moment of stress (like how Shallan was stressed the first time she succeeded in soulcasting, or Kaladin was always stressed whenever he succeeded in unconsciously using his powers), but his shardplate interfered with the process. He broke gemstones trying, but no effects were visible due to the interference.

This is exactly what I think is happening, ryos!  Thanks for articulating that.

By the way, when can we expect another masterpiece fan art?  I set your rendition of the bridge leap as my desktop background.  If you plan on getting some prints done, let me know so I can purchase one!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »
In fact I don't think Elhokar realises his own power yet, as he hasn't made any references to Shadesmar or weird soulcasting things going on around him yet, though that might be because he can hide it very well. But then, if he knew what was happening, would he reveal to others that he can see the line spren?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that he has realised his power, the suggestion is that he has in some way used it without realizing, to create an effect he hasn't even noticed, either on the ride to the battle or in the battle itself.

Bad wording on my part  :(. What I meant to say is that he hasn't used his power yet, just seen the line spren. If he had used his power he would of gone to Shadesmar and that would've totally freaked him out and everyone would be talking about it for months.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:43 AM »
Jasneah mentions that Two of the Orders of Knights Radiant had inherent Soulcasting ability's, which is what the Fabrials are based on.

Theory; what if one of the Orders had normal soulcasting: Transformation of Object to Another; and the other order had a Different type?  perhaps, Transformation of Self to Other?  baiscly, rebuilding your body from wounds, reinforcing your body against blows, enhancing...

just tossing this idea out...

I like this. It would fit in nicely with what Dalinar saw in his visions. The woman healing the wounds.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 08:49:03 PM »
But why would Elhokar needed to do that? he was not wounded or damaged in any way, the only thing i can think is that there must be some connection between the chasmfiend attacking them and Elhokars gemstones, maybe someone did try to assasinate him, or maybe he somehow drew the chasmfiend to him or something

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
Bad wording on my part  :(. What I meant to say is that he hasn't used his power yet, just seen the line spren. If he had used his power he would of gone to Shadesmar and that would've totally freaked him out and everyone would be talking about it for months.

Hahaha "everyone would be talking about it for months".  I think that the idea sounds right, that he might be in the early stages of Soulcasting.. but he has not succeeded because Shardplate, presumably, stops Soulcasting as well as Windrunner abilities.  I think that the "Soulcasting spren" add to Elhokar's paranoia, but I think someone really is interested in assassinating him.  I was going to say that may explain the broken gemstones in his plate, but like someone else mentioned, he or his servants would have noticed that when they geared him up for the hunt.

It seems that if he was the real cause for the breaking of his plate's gemstones, then Soulcasting affects gemstones BEFORE you enter Shadesmar, because he definitely would have said something about entering a crazy other dimension.  I feel it would be likely that, knowing Dalinar is also having visions, that he would suggest that they might be experiencing the same thing (even though they obviously wouldn't be.

Just my two cents.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

LoneStar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 04:10:58 AM »
I think the fact that Elhokar is constantly wearing his Shardplate adds weight to the undiscovered/emerging power theory. If he is a natural Soulcaster like his sister and Shards cause interference it could be why his powere have not come upon him as quickly as they did with Shallan.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 04:58:06 AM »
I think the fact that Elhokar is constantly wearing his Shardplate adds weight to the undiscovered/emerging power theory. If he is a natural Soulcaster like his sister and Shards cause interference it could be why his powere have not come upon him as quickly as they did with Shallan.

Shallan's not really a point of comparison. And Jasnah is eight-ish years older than Elhokar, and a scholar who was probably trained by her mother Navani—that same Navani who's playing a prominent role in the artifabrian community. Not that I don't like the emerging ability theory, because I do; I'm just sayin' you'd expect Jasnah to develop her power a lot faster than Elhokar.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »
Well I dont think learned people normally consider themselves to have a magic superpower, so how would Jasnah have learned of her abilities

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
Totally off the top of my head:

I glanced through the book last night and noticed that in Alethkar there's a river called Windrunner. There's also one called Deathbend, and mountains called Sunmaker. The majority of place names are not made of English words so I wonder if those other two are hints as to other Orders.

Also, there appear to be 10 Highprince regions shown on the map.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
Well I dont think learned people normally consider themselves to have a magic superpower, so how would Jasnah have learned of her abilities

But smart and learned people are more likely to discover the ins and outs of a newfound superpower than a superpowered moron.  This is why Vin always wins, afterall.