Author Topic: ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** Theory on Elhokar's Mysterious Assassination Attempts  (Read 7547 times)

TnSRaven

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
After my second read through, I think I've come up with a solid theory on Elhokar's presumed assassin. 

All the characters are convinced that someone is trying to kill Elhokar.  The reason for this is because of the cracked gemstones in his ShardPlate.  Elhokar admits to Dalinar that he cut the strap of his own saddle to force him into taking his paranoia more seriously, but does not admit to cracking the gemstones in the Plate. 

"What of the cracked gemstones in your Shardplate?  Did you place those too?"
"No."
"Then maybe you did uncover something," Dalinar said with a grunt.  "I guess you can't be completely blamed." pp959

So Elhokar didn't break his own gems.  Well, that's good.  That would have been profoundly stupid of him, yes? 

I think Elhokar's statement about not being responsible for the gemstones is untrue.  I'm not calling him a liar, though.  I just think he doesn't KNOW he cracked them. 

Consider another section, where Elhokar's paranoia is highlighted. 

"We go to war for years and years, never noticing the real villains, working quietly in my own camp.  They watch me.  Always.  Waiting.  I see their faces in mirrors.  Symbols, twisted, inhuman." pp826

Huh.  That's weird.  That sounds an awful lot like what Shallan sees. 

She had drawn something standing in the doorway behind the king.  Two tall and willowy creatures with cloaks that split down the front and hung at the sides too stiffly, as if they were made of glass.  Above the stiff, high collars, where the creatures; heads should be, each had a large, floating symbol of twisted design full of impossible angles and geometries. pp 467

...A figure that wasn't really there, a figure with a sharp, angular symbol hovering above its collar instead of a head. pp641

And five symbol-headed figures in black, too-stiff robes and cloacks.  Each had a different symbol, twisted and unfamiliar to her... pp642

Jasnah tells us what they are late in the book. 

"These are a type of spren, Shallan.  They are related to what you do."

So, Elhokar is seeing the Soulcasting spren.  Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to put before you the theory that Elhokar is (surprise) a Soulcaster!  I believe the reason behind his broken gemstones is because he is inadvertently Soulcasting and using the Stormlight and cracking the gems in the process.  In Shallan's chapters, we learn that Soulcasting sometimes breaks or cracks one of the gemstones.  It's not much of a stretch to think that perhaps Elhokar has accidentally broken his Plate's gems by Soulcasting. 

You might ask why, then, have we seen no evidence of Soulcast materials near Elhokar?  I'm afraid here I have no answers, only speculation, though I only just came up with this theory and haven't had an opportunity to go back in search of evidence.  But as far as speculation goes, consider the following:

We know from Szeth's viewpoints that his Lashings do not affect Shardplate.  I'm keen on the idea that the same is true for Soulcasting and Shardplate.  Perhaps he is dumping the stormlight into the Plate attempting transmutation without any of the obvious effects, kind of like how a Windrunner can expel Stormlight from their bodies. 

Let me know what you all think! 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:25:50 AM by TnSRaven »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** Theory on Elhokar's Mystery Assassin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
It's a good solid theory.  We've been batting it around a bit, actually, but you're the first to lay it out so formally.  It seems very likely, given everything else we know.
Nature hates being reified.

Dryone

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
But what would he have been soulcasting at that moment? I prefer the other theory that Dalinar is a windrunner and drew from the gemstones when he stopped the chasmfiend. Also others noted that his shardblade gleamed in this scene, like with the Knights Radiant.

Carn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:28 AM »
Just an idea, but your post probably shouldn't say major spoilers than have a major spoiler within it (i.e. mystery assassin). Since I haven't read the book yet, only 800 pages thus far, I didn't read the whole post, but I will when I am done. My theory thus far is it is Wit.

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:47:14 AM »
But what would he have been soulcasting at that moment? I prefer the other theory that Dalinar is a windrunner and drew from the gemstones when he stopped the chasmfiend. Also others noted that his shardblade gleamed in this scene, like with the Knights Radiant.

I really really doubt windrunners can drain the gemstones from shardplate while someone else is wearing it.  If they could, Szeth could have killed Galivar a lot easier.

TnSRaven

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:13:56 AM »
Just an idea, but your post probably shouldn't say major spoilers than have a major spoiler within it (i.e. mystery assassin). Since I haven't read the book yet, only 800 pages thus far, I didn't read the whole post, but I will when I am done. My theory thus far is it is Wit.

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture with a bunny with a pancake on its head.

There are no major spoilers in the title. You misinterpreted what the post was about. That said, I can see how it might be confusing.  Edited the title of the thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:26:36 AM by TnSRaven »

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** Theory on Elhokar's Mysterious Assassination Attempts
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »
The spoiler that he's referring to is that someone is (or is not) attempting to assassinate Elhokar.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
Well, I like your theory so much that I really want it to be true. Now I need to go reread those chapters with an eye towards indications of Elhokar soulcasting. I mean, that sequence was so epic that we can be forgiven for not noticing something like that.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
Hmmm... maybe not soulcasting, but I could certainly see it being related to some other ability that hasn't been clearly revealed yet. That's a really sweet theory, I like it!

Doesn't Elkohar take a major hit to the armor in that scene? Maybe a blow that should have killed him was deflected by a power he doesn't know he's using, much like Kaladin deflecting arrows.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Szeth was able to drain the gems of Gavilar as long as the shardplate was open. If Elhokar's plate was broken from the fall and leaking stormlight, maybe that's enough for Dalinar to be able to drain the gems.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
Who says the gems broke during the fight sequence?  Maybe Galivar has been soulcasting at other times.

Of course, it would be much more dramatic if he did it during the fight.  But that could also be a red herring.

Incidentally, the reason we believe Elhokar is a soulcaster is because he can apparently see the same type of Spren as Shallan.  Also because Soulcasting is the only magic we've seen that can break gemstones.  Of course, it could be a third type of magic entirely.  We're going to get an awful lot of variation in the magic, all things considered.
Nature hates being reified.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
I agree that Elhokar is a soulcaster. But I doubt he broke his own gems as there are no references to any strange soulcasting going on around Elhokar in that chapter. And I doubt the gems were broken before the battle as his servants would have surely seen a broken gem when they were getting his shardplate ready for him to put on.

In fact I don't think Elhokar realises his own power yet, as he hasn't made any references to Shadesmar or weird soulcasting things going on around him yet, though that might be because he can hide it very well. But then, if he knew what was happening, would he reveal to others that he can see the line spren?
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »
In fact I don't think Elhokar realises his own power yet, as he hasn't made any references to Shadesmar or weird soulcasting things going on around him yet, though that might be because he can hide it very well. But then, if he knew what was happening, would he reveal to others that he can see the line spren?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that he has realised his power, the suggestion is that he has in some way used it without realizing, to create an effect he hasn't even noticed, either on the ride to the battle or in the battle itself.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
If the shardplate interferes with windrunning, wouldnt it interfere with soulcasting as well? and how exactly does the whole gemstone thing work anyways? how does the plate draw the light from the gemstones?  and is it constantly drawing it out, or does it just do that when it neesds to be fixed?

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
If the shardplate interferes with windrunning, wouldnt it interfere with soulcasting as well?

As I understand it, there are 10 magic systems and 10 Orders of Radiants. I doubt they would all interact with shardplate the same way as they seem to operate on different principles.