Author Topic: Looking for "political" epic Fantasy  (Read 3780 times)

Kykeon

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Looking for "political" epic Fantasy
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
Stuff like ASOIAF. WOT (not many house-wars, but I think you get what I mean) The Stormlight Archives etc...
Help? :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:03:51 AM by Kykeon »

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for political epic Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »
How is a Song of Ice and Fire political? Do you mean ones that focus on political leaders like kings and queens? I am a bit confused.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
How is a Song of Ice and Fire political? Do you mean ones that focus on political leaders like kings and queens?
Like that, yes.
I am asking for books were the hero(s) not only have to complete their mission, but also have to look after their people.
I am a bit confused.
Sorry. :D

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
KJ Parker wrote politcal fantasy with THE FOLDING KNIFE. I wouldn't call it epic, but it's pretty political.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
If you'll accept sci-fi recommendations, go for the Vampire Earth series (Vampires are actually pretty nasty aliens that have taken over the earth) by E. E. Knight, Honor Harrington books by David Weber and the Change Series by S. M. Stirling.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »
Try the Shadows of the Apt series.  Starts with EMPIRE IN BLACK AND GOLD.  Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  You could import James Barclay's CRY OF THE NEWBORN and SHOUT FOR THE DEAD.  James Enge's WOLF AGE counts if you consider werewolf politics.  ACACIA by David Anthony Durham.  The list goes on and on.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Michelle West might fit into this. You could start with Hunter's Oath, which is the first of a duology that then leads into a six book series.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
I second Empire in Black and Gold; The Great Book of Amber; The Blade Itself (Sci-Fi has much more to choose from)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for "political" epic Fantasy
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham fits the bill (moreso in the second, third, and fourth books than in the first, though).

The first book is called "A Shadow in Summer".

The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks also has some politics in it, although it's not really a focus.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
Thank you folks, you rock ;D

Unicorn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
I absolutely hate politics, both in real life and in literature. I was just looking for a series with a good female lead. A number of people in the Fantasy girls, where are you? thread have recommended the The Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts, and it totally blew me away.

The entire series is a huge knot of political intrigue, machinations and manipulation. Something I'd never normally read. But for some reason, the Empire trilogy was interesting. I read all 3 books in less than a week and now recommend it to anyone who would listen :)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »
I also like political fantasy. Unfortunately its hardly ever done, and it never really takes a preference. Most of Brandon's books include politics - Elantris, Warbreaker, Misborn - but there not the major plots.

I am working on an idea for a story at the moment which is based on a huge parliament like government called the Court, where only powerful magicians are given seats. There are lots and lots of different parties, each one trying to fight for coalitions and superiority. However, it is still a work in progress.  :(
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »
I also like political fantasy. Unfortunately its hardly ever done, and it never really takes a preference. Most of Brandon's books include politics - Elantris, Warbreaker, Misborn - but they're not the major plots.
*Kykeon high-fives Stormblessed*
I am working on an idea for a story at the moment which is based on a huge parliament like government called the Court, where only powerful magicians are given seats. There are lots and lots of different parties, each one trying to fight for coalitions and superiority. However, it is still a work in progress.  :(
Like  a blend of the White Tower and the magicians Guild on steroids?  ;D
I'd like to hear some more about this!
*Looks at "Writing Excuses" and raises left eyebrow questioningly*
Would you be so kind? 8)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
*Looks at "Writing Excuses" and raises left eyebrow questioningly*
Would you be so kind? 8)

Currently working on a stand alone novel - its a fantasy murder mystery. However I am continously working on the above idea, fleshing out the world building and magic systems. This idea is big, in fact it's epic. I am going to break it down into a number of series, all based during different periods of time, from modern day, to the distant future and even the past. However, I have yet to establish a workable plot to any of the current stories I am playing with. When I finally do get some ideas, I will definitely post up sample chapters in "reading excuses", until then...
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
That's great!
*smiles*
Looking forward to it!  ;D