Author Topic: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*  (Read 52436 times)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Re: WOK: Navani's Notebook Translation *MAJOR SPOILERS*
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 05:53:16 AM »
I wonder... Peter, what is the present plan for foreign languages for the Navani pages? Will they be in Roshar-English, or will they be in Roshar-French (or whatever the language is)?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »
Probably Roshar-English just for convenience. Though I have thought about that a few times. I should ask Brandon.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Bump to the front page for awesomeness!
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »
Not to mention that the English language, especially American English, is (as the singer put it) ka-RAAAYY-zeeee... it's loaded with synonymic idiosyncrasies and pronunciation/definition tricks that you generally only pick up in context.

While English is a little worse than other languages because we steadfastly resist a comprehensive spelling reform, (I'm not talking about the vague and half-hearted attempts Americans well-meaningly implemented to clean up a little, that's not even a beginning) I think crazy is going a bit far. All languages have irregularities because that's just how languages evolve, because there's some interchange of words and they don't always get fully (or sometimes not even partially) naturalised, and finally because irregular words make the words themselves stand out, which can be pretty convenient for an irregular verb like "to be".

Hey, it wasn't me what said it... blame Pete Seeger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCO4vBjneE

;D

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Okay, so the stuff that was translated... does it mean that Shardblades are fabrials?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
Shardblades don't use appear to stormlight or spren as a power source the way that fabrials do, at least from what we know so far.

The half-shards do though, I think.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51:33 AM »
The half-shards are just really strong fabrials, yeah.

It's been repeatedly mentioned that the writing is impractical because of the vertical symmetry.  I don't actually think this is true, after a second look at it, it seems to be written with lots of sweeping motions.  It kinda resembles our own cursive style in that sense, though it's a lot more precise than in english.  True, you could just write the top half as a shorthand, but I could easily see it written in longhand.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

schmiddynick

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »
first off i just have to say major kudos goes to being able to translate that entire page... from scratch! thats just plain impressive. and i think that it wouldn't be that impractical to write out, in mean look at other languages such as japanese, russian, and similar alphabets/languages. to a plain old speaker of english it seems incredibly hard to write in those languages while to a native speaker its just natural.

Rew

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Shardblades don't use appear to stormlight or spren as a power source the way that fabrials do, at least from what we know so far.

The half-shards do though, I think.

Their descriptions don't explicitly say, and only one is described as having a gem of any sort.

Chapter 51, part 3 (704)
“He took the Shardblade from the cloth, holding it in his hand.  The gemstone at its pommel let out a flash of white light.”

the questions that follow are:
1 do all Blades have gems?
2 Are these ordinary fabrial-type spren-cages?

I would think the answers are: 1-Not enough info, and 2- probably not, or the Alethi fabrial scientists would have figured it out (unless they contain a spren that the scientists are unfamiliar with...) 

Lironah

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
It occurs to me to wonder if they're called shardblades because they're made from shards of the Blades in the prologue.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
It occurs to me to wonder if they're called shardblades because they're made from shards of the Blades in the prologue.

I doubt that because Kelek specifically compares his blade to a Shardblade. He says that his blade is more pure, but in any case, it means that Shardblades were around when the Dawnshards were.

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
If this is Alethi script there is a question of why Shallan's notebooks had normal english writing unless it's meant to be two different styles of writing that they use.
Probably the same reason all the Nazis  in WWII movies speak English as well -- so that the audience can understand.  ;)
Shallan's pages are directly relevant to the plot, so they need to be readily understandable. There are also a couple pages by Navani in plain English.  The Shattered Plains battle map comes to mind.  Again, these are directly related to the story.
The Alethi script pages seem like much more of an Easter egg for the hardcore fans, just like the snippet of Dula language in that Interlude chapter.

Did they really have much relevance? As a kindle reader, I couldn't really read them at all due to their small size.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 02:06:30 AM »
Most of the illustrations where to help supplement your reading. Roshar is such an alien planet that those pictures really help clear things up. I for one am really happy they're in there.

Navani's notebook pages along with the chapter headings however seem to be somewhat more spoilerish. For those who can crack their codes, there are easter eggs in them that may foreshadow future events (I know how much Brandon likes foreshadowing things. I keeps these forums interesting).
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »
I don't recall putting anything in Shallan's sketches that was spoilerish or foreshadowing in the way that this revelation about spren and spheres is. If you can't read the text in the illustrations, you're not missing anything vital... it's more like additional texture to the world being described.

Maybe in the next one he'll let me hide some spoilers.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:45:11 AM by Inkthinker »

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
WHAAAA, why didn't I open this thread before?!  :'(