Author Topic: Favourite Minor Character  (Read 9834 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Favourite Minor Character
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »
I know that we all have favourites among the main characters. I have included in this list of main characters all those who have a PoV chapter (excluding the interludes). This includes Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, Shallan, Szeth (he has had enough PoV chapters to be considered a main character and Wit/Hoid (assumed awesome  ;)).

Excluding the list above, who is your favourite WoK character (spren included). For me it is Axies the Collector. Anyone who gets completely drunk just to do a bit of mythbusting has my vote. Seriously though, I hope we see more of him.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Favourite Minor Character
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
For me it is Axies the Collector. Anyone who gets completely drunk just to do a bit of mythbusting has my vote. Seriously though, I hope we see more of him.

Oh man, I loved the little bit we saw of that guy. I wanna know what's up with him, and why he apparently is indestructible.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

SmokinEmber

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
(spoilers ahead)

Definitely Syl. She is awesomespren. Especially in the one scene where she fended off the deathspren by charging them with her lightsaber. Love her.  :)
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
I like some of the bridgemen, like Rock and Lopen.  Axies was my favorite of the interlude people.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
Syl is a minor character? I mean sure, she's kinda Kaladin's "sidekick", but I wouldn't call her role "minor".

Axies the Collector is most certainly my favorite interlude character. Of the others that come and go, I liked Gaz (rather, I disliked him intensely, but I enjoyed his scenes and his character) and I like both of Dalinar's sons and the ways they contrast. 

And Wit, of course. Though again... minor character?

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
I really like Kaladin's parents, especially his mother.  Lirin is interesting and gave Kaladin a lot of his morals and know-how, but Hesina is just awesome.  The scene where she climbs up on the roof with them in the rain said so much about her character.  She is quirky and there is definitely a lot about her that we don't know.  I hope we learn a little more about her past (I have a feeling it's an interesting one) in the next book.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
I'm a big fan of Rock, myself.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
Axies the Collector wins the interludes.  Brandon was really having fun with that scene.  It leaves more questions than answers, of course, but would we really want it any other way?
Nature hates being reified.

SmokinEmber

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:33:48 PM »
Syl is a minor character? I mean sure, she's kinda Kaladin's "sidekick", but I wouldn't call her role "minor".

Hey, I was following the criteria of the OP, which was any character that is not a POV character (or Hoid). :P
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »
Minor characters aren't minor or they would be characters not minor characters. They are only minor in relation to major characters who are PoVs. However that argument is immaterial because everyone knows Rock is clearly superior :P.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:41 AM »
 And Wit, of course. Though again... minor character?

I didn't include Wit as a minor character mainly because he is Hoid who firstly is strictly a character of all Brandon's books (making him the most major character of all) and secondly because we just assume his awesome anyway so there is no point discussing it anyway  ;).

Syl though is definitely on the edge. I had to rule a line, and unfortunately Syl fell on the wrong side of the line. But she definitely is important. Maybe more important than Kaladin!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

AndrewMM

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:41:05 AM »
I have to say for me it is Teft. Although I am not sure he is a minor character. It is because there is a lot to him. His past in the military, his upbringing with parents who longed for the Radiants return.  ;D
Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
The ardents Geranid and Ashir, for making a systematic study of spren while the rest of the world overlooks them as a mere curiosity.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »
The ardents Geranid and Ashir, for making a systematic study of spren while the rest of the world overlooks them as a mere curiosity.

I agree. Especially when they use of maths and statistics to create theories. I love it!  ;D
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
I really liked Renarin, though now that he has shardplate I doubt he will really be a minor character for long