Author Topic: Spren - (Major Spoilers TWoK)  (Read 13262 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Spren - (Major Spoilers TWoK)
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
It may be that the two magic systems merge together to create a specific powerset.

And didn't it say that Full Lashings may have something to do with atmospheric pressure?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 02:50:03 AM »
Perhaps the two different types of lashing are actually two magic systems. If that's the case, I expect there is a lot more to be learned about both of them, even if Szeth appears to know about as much as is possible in the current era.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
Perhaps there's another Lashing for forcing things apart, although that doesn't really deserve that name "lashing"......

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
Perhaps there's another Lashing for forcing things apart, although that doesn't really deserve that name "lashing"......

I could see that being another type of magic system. One magic to attract things, another magic to repel things.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »
Errr, why do people think Shallan only sees the creepy triangle-headed spren in her drawngs?  I'm pretty sure she looked around the room sometimes and would see them out of the corner of her eye.  A specific scene I remember without my book on me, is when she is running through the halls as though chased by them.  It might be plausible that drawing STIMULATES the vision of them (if drawing is connected to her "Order", then maybe its the act of artistic ability that attracts the spren).  We know that spren are attracted to certain things, hence where they get their sub names (honorspren, lifespren, deathspren), so why can't there be artistic spren, that are associated with an artistic Order of the Knights Radient.

This might explain why Jasnah can't see these spren (she isn't artistic, and isn't of the same Order as Shallan). 
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 03:33:48 AM »
Truthspren or Honestyspren, as they seek truths. I doubt they are artspren, as we already have creativespren (was that what they were called?) that appear when she draws the picture of Jasnah.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
creationspren yep.

I think Jasnah does see them somehow, since she recognized them,but she doesn't see them the same way Shallan does, since she doesn't draw much.

and yeah,  she started seeing them out of the corner of her eye in the hospital after she Soulcast the goblet.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 02:27:52 AM »
Ahh yeah, I forgot about the creationspren being visible when she draws sometimes.  So I guess it is a spren specific to Soulcasting, but is seen at different times for different people.  Jasnah doesn't see them in the same way that Shallan sees them, I'm guessing because of their different Order.  We will have to see what else we can learn about Spren in general I suppose, to find out exactly how they are attracted.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
Ahh yeah, I forgot about the creationspren being visible when she draws sometimes.  So I guess it is a spren specific to Soulcasting, but is seen at different times for different people.  Jasnah doesn't see them in the same way that Shallan sees them, I'm guessing because of their different Order.  We will have to see what else we can learn about Spren in general I suppose, to find out exactly how they are attracted.

Spren seem to be attracted to whatever causes them.  Or they're the reason things happen.  Either way, I suspect that for Jasnah and Shallan, they were attracted to their rigorous intellectual honesty.  Not honesty with other people, mind, but their love of scholarship.
Nature hates being reified.