Author Topic: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*  (Read 28773 times)

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »
This might be nitpicking a bit but this is really bothering me. I think you guys have the whole Reod thing wrong. The Elantrins didn't become "zombies" because the dor was cut off or slowed down. They became zombies because after the chasm was added to landscape the Aon was suddenly INCOMPLETE, thus their transformation into elantrins got "stuck" halfway through. Now I have no idea what would happen if they went to another planet. But they wouldn't become zombies again. That was a very unique set of circumstances. (Which it now seems was orchestrated by odium)
Well, the issue there seemed to be that they were getting the Dor "wrong", or perhaps not enough.

The question is how reliant Elantrians are on the Dor to survive.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:03 AM »
This might be nitpicking a bit but this is really bothering me. I think you guys have the whole Reod thing wrong. The Elantrins didn't become "zombies" because the dor was cut off or slowed down. They became zombies because after the chasm was added to landscape the Aon was suddenly INCOMPLETE, thus their transformation into elantrins got "stuck" halfway through. Now I have no idea what would happen if they went to another planet. But they wouldn't become zombies again. That was a very unique set of circumstances. (Which it now seems was orchestrated by odium)
Well, the issue there seemed to be that they were getting the Dor "wrong", or perhaps not enough.

The question is how reliant Elantrians are on the Dor to survive.

Exactly, I never read anything in Elantris that implied they required the Dor OR the Aon that Elantris formed in order to actually survive. They simply received their power ( and for a while their curse ) through it. I feel like if an Elantrin were to venture far enough away from the Elantris aon then they would simply revert back to whatever they would be if the city of Elantris had never been built. Which could very well be the non-glowy guys we saw in the interlude.
The question I ask is that if their powers are so vastly reduced as they travel away from Elantris (that's a fact) then what power are they using to planet-hop? As far as we know there is no actual 17th shard, that's probably just some romantic name that the group came up with. And if they can't use the AonDor, then we have to assume the Elantrins ( if they are indeed Elantrins and not just some random people from Sel) have discovered quite a bit more about the cosmere than they previously knew.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2010, 03:26:40 AM »
The question I ask is that if their powers are so vastly reduced as they travel away from Elantris (that's a fact) then what power are they using to planet-hop?
They could have just used the teleporting Aon to make a one-way trip from Sel.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »
The question I ask is that if their powers are so vastly reduced as they travel away from Elantris (that's a fact) then what power are they using to planet-hop?

I doubt this. No one wants to be lost so far away from home. They probably have a way to get back, maybe being helped by the person in charge of the 17th shard (the person Hoid's letter is addressed to?).
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »

I doubt this. No one wants to be lost so far away from home. They probably have a way to get back, maybe being helped by the person in charge of the 17th shard (the person Hoid's letter is addressed to?).
Yeah, I just meant that they couldn't get back by the same means. I'm sure they know of a way to get back, though.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
Using the teleportation Aon requires knowing the precise direction and distance to your destination.  Figuring out that information for an interplanetary jump with sufficient precision to neither land underground (and instantly die) nor high in the air (and probably die from impact) nor in outer space (and die from cold, lack of air, and friction of reentry) strikes me as implausibly difficult.  Assuming most of real-world physics and cosmology is followed in the Cosmere, you would also have to account for the relative velocities of the two planets - which would require both changing your velocity drastically at the same time as the teleport and timing it correctly with microsecond or even nanosecond precision.  Good luck with that.

The 17th Shard definitely does, as an organization, have a means of interplanetary travel, but I really doubt that particular Aon is involved.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »
Using the teleportation Aon requires knowing the precise direction and distance to your destination.  Figuring out that information for an interplanetary jump with sufficient precision to neither land underground (and instantly die) nor high in the air (and probably die from impact) nor in outer space (and die from cold, lack of air, and friction of reentry) strikes me as implausibly difficult.  Assuming most of real-world physics and cosmology is followed in the Cosmere, you would also have to account for the relative velocities of the two planets - which would require both changing your velocity drastically at the same time as the teleport and timing it correctly with microsecond or even nanosecond precision.  Good luck with that.

The 17th Shard definitely does, as an organization, have a means of interplanetary travel, but I really doubt that particular Aon is involved.
Fair enough.

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »
I think I remember reading that the plan was to write the Stormlight Archive later but that Brandon felt comfortable doing it now.  Maybe the mystery would be solved or somewhat explained by the Elantris sequel or some other book that hasn't been written yet.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
Among the Elantrians' numbers is a math savant and an idea man.  Also: if they ARE Elantrians (in the interlude), perhaps they're hunting Hoid because he's their ride home!

As for the nature of the Aons and the Elantrians, my understanding: the city is constantly affected Elantrians, every moment, with constant superbuffs.  Screw up the main Aon, and you're buffing everyone incorrectly (like the woman who was healed improperly in the story whose aftereffects sounded exactly like the Zombie-elantrians).

I dunno about you, but that seems like a critical weakness to the Elantrians.  One Raoden would be trying hard to close up.  If his fix also makes the Dor easily accessible on other planets, I won't be surprised.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
I know that Brandon is thinking of writing a few standalone books in addition to the stormlight archive, so I hope we may see a sequel to either Elantris, Warbreaker or both sometime in the next ten years
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier