Author Topic: Question about some of the pictures in TWoK. (Major spoilers)  (Read 3538 times)

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Question about some of the pictures in TWoK. (Major spoilers)
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »
I kept waiting for a discussion of Navani's sketchbook pictures to come into the story, but it never did unless I missed it.  Does anyone know what those two pictures were supposed to be?

Also the final picture of the Herald.  Was that picture mentioned in the book?

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Question about some of the pictures in TWoK. (Major spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:39:48 AM »
Oh and one more question:  are there any theories on who the faces are at the beginning of the chapters, and why they appear at which chapter?  I assume they're the Heralds + Hoid, since the masked face always shows up when Hoid is there.  I also noticed that the faces in Chapter 2 changed from the ARC to the final version.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:05:30 AM »
I believe that the first sketch from Navani's sketchbook is the fabrial which dulls pain, mentioned in one of the later chapters (i forget which).

The second sketch is not explained. However it does resemble the Double Eye of the Almighty and the ten essences. Thus I think it might have something to do with the essences. (see front cover of the hardcover? I actually have the UK version which doesn't include the drawing of the double-eye of the Almighty so I can't be certain of where you can find it.)

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe it is a modified Soulcaster that Navani is trying to produce. Definitely the first sketch is something new that has yet to exist, so maybe this is also something new that Navani is trying to create,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:07:52 AM by Stormblessed »
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

jacobfake

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:19:40 AM »
it's probably nothing but I noticed the axehound and the chasmfiend have similarly shaped heads, at least the way the top comes to a point and the front of the face is drawn from the side as a straight vertical lline...you kinda have to just know what i'm talking about haha but it stood out to me

edit: ack sorry slightly off topic but i'm still curious if you noticed that
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:25:34 AM by jacobfake »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
Remember that the image of the chasmfiend is copied from a painting, and is not intended to be an accurate representation the way Shallan's sketch of the axehound is.  The artist who painted that work probably never saw a real greatshell.

That being said, the resemblance is uncanny, isn't it?  ;D

Isaac is the man to ask about the header art and Navani pages, but I'm pretty sure that if he told you the answers outright it might contain spoilers for future books.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »
Actually the only one you can ask is Brandon. And he may or may not tell you anything.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:41:56 AM »
I think the second picture from Navani's sketchbook is definitely some sort of teaser to something in a later book. But I would like to hear people's speculations on it.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Speaking about pictures, I have the Kindle version and the Maps and pictures are really small and I can't seem to find a way to zoom in. Am I missing something simple or is it just not possible. Are there good pictures of the map online anywhere?

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
Also did anyone notice the design of the two greatshells/chasmfiends/whatever within the glyphs inside the front cover?

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »
it's probably nothing but I noticed the axehound and the chasmfiend have similarly shaped heads, at least the way the top comes to a point and the front of the face is drawn from the side as a straight vertical lline...you kinda have to just know what i'm talking about haha but it stood out to me

edit: ack sorry slightly off topic but i'm still curious if you noticed that

Axehounds and Chasmfiends are both described as having multiple voices trumpeting at the same time.  I don't remember if Chulls are or not.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
Axehounds and Chasmfiends are both described as having multiple voices trumpeting at the same time. I don't remember if Chulls are or not.
where did it say that? because i remember one of jasnahs journals said that the voidbringers spoke with the voices of the souls it devoured, or something along those lines.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
Also did anyone notice the design of the two greatshells/chasmfiends/whatever within the glyphs inside the front cover?

I assume your talking about that orange thing behind the glyphs. I didn't see it at first, but now you mention it it does look sort like a chasmfiend. I'm really angry because the uk version of WoK (which i got) doesnt have the pictures from the front and back covers.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:44:58 AM »
Oh and one more question:  are there any theories on who the faces are at the beginning of the chapters, and why they appear at which chapter?  I assume they're the Heralds + Hoid, since the masked face always shows up when Hoid is there.  I also noticed that the faces in Chapter 2 changed from the ARC to the final version.

I was wondering about that as well while I was reading the book.  At first I thought the faces represented the the main characters in the chapter, but eventually decided they were the Heralds once chapters starting coming up with doubles of the same image.
The Herald faces also appear the in the border of the map and eye of divinity diagram inside the front cover -- although the masked face is absent, so I think you're right about that being Hoid.

I'm also working on cracking the Alethi? script from Navani's notebook -- I'll post again once I have something concrete.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:10:34 AM by Harakeke »

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
I was wondering about that as well while I was reading the book.  At first I thought the faces represented the the main characters in the chapter, but eventually decided they were the Heralds once chapters starting coming up with doubles of the same image.

The Herald faces also appear the in the border of the map and eye of divinity diagram inside the front cover -- although the masked face is absent, so I think you're right about that being Hoid.

Indeed. Connecting the shown Herald to the contents of the chapters has proven to be difficult.