Author Topic: Fantasy short stories  (Read 2884 times)

Bibliophage

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Fantasy short stories
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
Hello, I'm a Writing Excuses listener who wandered in. I'm currently enrolled in a fiction writing class that involves writing short stories. As a fan of fantasy, I'd like to write fantasy short stories. However, as fantasy involves a lot of world building it doesn't seem terribly suited towards short stories. Could anyone recommend a collection or place to find quality short stories? There seems to be tons of places to find sci-fi short stories, but not so much on the fantasy side of things. I'm mostly looking for stories set in totally made up worlds as this is what I'd like to do in my own short stories. I hope this isn't too specific of a request.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:04:15 PM by Bibliophage »

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: Fantasy short stories
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »
The one that first comes to mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Dark-Magic-Sword-Sorcery/dp/0061723819

My copy is currently sitting on a shelf at home in my TBR pile, though a reliable source has already commented on it...

http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/07/swords-dark-magic.html
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bibliophage

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
A short story collection that features Stephen Erikson, Glen Cook, and Gene Wolfe? Yes please! Thanks.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
Dan beat me to the punch by recommending my own review...and yeah, it is an amazing collection for the most part.

Another anthology you may consider is WARRIORS.
http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0765320487/ref=sr_1_10?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285685648&sr=8-10

It was also reviewed at Elitist Book Reviews:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/warriors.html

It isn't all Fantasy, but it is pretty solid.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

craigles

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
Legends I and II edited by Robert Silverberg are worth checking out.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
If you're interested in audio fiction, I've listened to all of the Podcastle short stories that Ryos recommended to me over here, and I'm happy to second his vote re: their excellence.

Flash Fiction Online publishes a mix of science fiction, fantasy, and mainstream (for lack of a better term) stuff. I always enjoy their issues, so if you're in the mood for something really short check them out. :)

There are quite a few well-known and well-regarded SFF magazines that publish online, but I'm going with the ones I've actually read material from. :)

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
There are 2 Legends books from the late 1990s that are still around. Robert Jordam has one story in them and I think George RR Martin has 2. I remember really like Robert Silverbergs short story based in one of his worlds. I intended to read some of his books, but never got around to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286227414&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-II-Masters-Fantasy-ebook/dp/B000FC0Y0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286227414&sr=8-1

George RR Martin recently announced on his blog that he is editing another short story book.

It looks like there is no particular subject for it. He got stories from authors and put his name on it ( I don't know how much time editors of short story books spend editing)

However, I'm pleased to report that Gardner Dozois and I have completed work on our original anthology DOWN THESE STRANGE STREETS and delivered it to our editors at Penguin Putnam. The final lineup:

THE BASTARD STEPCHILD (introduction), by George R.R. Martin
DEATH BY DAHLIA, by Charlaine Harris (a True Blood story)
THE BLEEDING SHADOW, by Joe R. Lansdale
HUNGRY HEART, by Simon R. Green
STYX AND STONES, by Steven Saylor (a Gordianus story)
PAIN AND SUFFERING, by S.M. Stirling
IT’S STILL THE SAME OLD STORY, by Carrie Vaughn
THE LADY IS A SCREAMER, by Conn Iggulden
HELLBENDER, by Laurie R. King
SHADOW THIEVES, by Glen Cook (a Garrett story)
NO MYSTERY, NO MIRACLE, by Melinda Snodgrass (an Edge story)
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PUZZLE AND A MYSTERY, by M.L.N. Hanover
THE CURIOUS AFFAIR OF THE DEODAND, by Lisa Tuttle
LORD JOHN AND THE PLAGUE OF ZOMBIES, by Diana Gabaldon (a Lord John novella)
BEWARE THE SNAKE, by John Maddox Roberts (a SPQR story)
IN RED, WITH PEARLS, by Patricia Briggs
THE ADAKIAN EAGLE, by Bradley Denton (novella)

DOWN THESE STRANGE STREETS is another of our crossgenre projects, this one a mix of fantasy, science fiction, urban fantasy, hardboiled mystery, historicals, and private eye stories. We've got some great stories in the book, and I think you'll all enjoy the read. No word yet as to when the book will be released, but I'll be sure and let you know once it's scheduled.
Mood:  pleased

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:13:27 AM »
There's another anthology that GRRM's doing with Dozois, which is getting released in November.

Songs of Love and Death

Only reason I knew about it though is because Daniel Abraham (as M. L. N. Hanover) has a story in it called "Hurt Me" that he mentioned on his blog.  Abraham thinks it's the best short story he's ever written.  That's enough for me to be excited about getting my hands on the anthology.

I noticed that Abraham has another short in this anthology as well.  Even if we're not getting any more ASoIaF books from GRRM any time soon, at least he's doing stuff that gets Daniel Abraham's name out there more.  Quite possibly my favorite author.  And since you want short stories, why not his own collection...

Leviathan Wept and Other Stories

along with a review:

Leviathan Wept @ Elitist Book Reviews

by a reliable...uh...me.  :)

Again, this one is also not all fantasy, but it's pretty much all good.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
I am surprised that Dianna Gabaldon is doing a Zombie Story. She does more Sci-Fi/Romance/Historical Fiction. I do not like romance books, but the research she did for Outlander really got me to enjoy the book.