Author Topic: Chicago signing  (Read 2956 times)

Hobbun

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Chicago signing
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Well, just got back from the signing in Chicago. It was pretty standard from his TGS signing, but the store couldn't make up their minds if they wanted to use the writsband method or not (the color wristband determines what group you are in for the order of your signing). A couple days ago first it was they were using the wristband, but when showing up this morning, they said it was first come first serve. Then at the signing, it was the wristband again.

But either way, it didn't affect the signing all too much. I think there was actually a larger turn out for Way of Kings than for The Gathering Storm, which I did not expect. Way to go Brandon!

Afterwards, a few of us did go back to Brandon's hotel and play a couple of magic games, myself included. That was the absolute best part of the night, to be honest. Being able to play and just sit and talk with him on a casual basis. So awesome.  :)

Here are some pics from the evening. Nothing too spectacular, not the greatest photographer (especially noted by that second picture.)

This was during his Q&A.

Ugh, this was a horrible pic of him while reading.

Ok, here is a much better picture of him reading. Although at this time he was replying to a remark made by someone.

And here is one of the magic games we played with Brandon back in the lobby of his hotel. We were there about two hours. I was the first to die in the first game, so I snapped a picture. Brandon actually pretty much stomped all over us both games. If you don't know already, Brandon is a very good Magic player.

I hadn't played Magic in about 2 years, but I didn't care I really didn't do much. Just the experience of sitting, talking and playing a couple games with him was the best.    :)

Thanks Brandon!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:28:35 AM by Hobbun »

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago signing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »
Sounds like you had fun.  Do you remember any of the WOT or Kings related questions that were asked during Q&A/answers?

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
This Q&A was nice in that it seemed we had a lot more time this time around (than when he was here for TGS). But unfortunately, I don't remember a lot what was asked.   

I remember someone had brought up that Brandon had mentioned in the past that Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies and that down the road, one of the trilogies will involve sci-fi. The person's question led to when that does happen, how does he plan to handle the allomancy in space. Brandon basically gave him a RAFO as he didn't know yet himself.

What my question was since it has been said many times that The Stormlight Archives is a planned 10 book series, I assume he has an outline of all the books already to have an idea it will be 10 books? Brandon said he does have one, a very detailed one, to be honest. To give an idea how detailed, he said the outline is as thick as WoK. 

There was a question that everyone knows here already, when the next WoT book comes out. Which we know as Nov. 2nd. Someone else had also asked when the final book is going to be released. Brandon said he is still hoping for late next year, but could be as late as Spring 2012. But stressed again they are still shooting for late 2011.

Hmm, what else. There was a question in regards to how he handles linguistics as well, but I can't really recall what the answer he had given now. I believe he had indicated he handles it different ways, depending on what kind of society he is trying to build.

Oh, and for those who might not have heard it on his previous tour stops, but it appears Brandon plans to put out two books for every 3 yr span for his Stormlight Archive series. So if it stays with the planned 10 books, we are looking at 15 years.   

Finally, I asked Brandon later at the hotel if he has started A Memory of Light and he had said not yet. He is planning to take a short break until January 1st, which is when he would go right back into it. I said "Well, you deserve the break from any writing, even if only a few months." He responded with "Oh, not completely stopping writing, it would be like stop breathing for the next few months." He finished with saying he'll probably be writing a few short stories.

That's all I can think of right now. I asked him some other questions at the hotel, but they were more in conversation than any big news to splay online.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
Regarding the Q&A someone else who was there has posted about this signing on the 17thShard, he also linked to a recording of the Q&A, his post is here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php/topic,106.0.html

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Thanks for that post, Rhuan. It is obviously a lot more informational than mine in regards to the Q&A and has better pictures, as well.   :)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
We would have stayed, but it was a three hour drive down and a three hour drive back, and I had class in the morning. I did, however, tweet it for 17th Shard, and I gave him salt. Hickory smoke salt ^^
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
What time did you end up leaving?  I assume you stayed to at least to have your book signed and then took off?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
We were in the first group (green wristbands) and towards the end of that segment of line. Got the books signed, chatted a little, Brandon took my picture with the salt, I blanked on half the stuff I was gonna say, and then my friend got a call about a personal matter that... well, something happened that would have not made us good company for the rest of the night. So, as much fun as it would have been to hang out longer, it was probably better we left when we did.

You might remember me. I was the guy who referred to the books, around the beginning, as doorstops? ^^
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about whatever news your friend received.

And yes, I do remember hearing that comment (about the book being used for a doorstop) but did not look and see where it came from.

As I said earlier, I was the one who asked the question on detailed of an outline he had for the series. I figured he had an outline of some sort, most authors do so if they write a series with a definitive end. But I was curious how he was able to narrow down to a number and so many books while at it. But yeah, with an outline as thick as WoK I can it is very detailed.   :)

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
Thanks for that post, Rhuan. It is obviously a lot more informational than mine in regards to the Q&A and has better pictures, as well.   :)
The post I linked to is not mine.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »
@Hobbun: I was sitting a few seats away from you, then. You were on the aisle, right side (if you were looking towards Brandon)? I remember seeing the person who asked that question. We chatted a little bit, I think, if you are the person I'm thinking of. The conversation about Terry Goodkind and Law of Nines? I was in the black shirt... yeah, probably don't remember. No worries :P

The link is from HardcorePookah on 17thShard, who I hung out with before and during the signing. We "represented" the site - he did the recording and the writing, and I just tweeted. :P

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 06:53:14 AM »
The post I linked to is not mine.

I was more just thanking for you posting the link.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
@Hobbun: I was sitting a few seats away from you, then. You were on the aisle, right side (if you were looking towards Brandon)? I remember seeing the person who asked that question. We chatted a little bit, I think, if you are the person I'm thinking of. The conversation about Terry Goodkind and Law of Nines? I was in the black shirt... yeah, probably don't remember. No worries :P

The link is from HardcorePookah on 17thShard, who I hung out with before and during the signing. We "represented" the site - he did the recording and the writing, and I just tweeted. :P

Yep, that was me and of course I remember you. Well, talk about timing, we spoke about meeting up on here before the signing and apparently we did so coincidentally.  :)

Well, if you represented the site from the link Rhuan posted, you should have written the Chicago report thread, here. Would have done a lot better job than myself.  lol