Author Topic: *Spoilers* General Shard List  (Read 23851 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* General Shard List
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
i guess nightblood could TECHNICALLY hold a shard... but i don't know how she/it would get one

Plus, everyone would be screwed if that happened.

I don't know if nightblood itself would be a shard, but it could possibly be a splinter of a shard (though of course I have no way of knowing if the shards on the planet of Warbreaker are whole or have been splintered).
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
Brandon has already confirmed that we have encountered splinters in Warbreaker in the form of the Returned.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
Brandon has already confirmed that we have encountered splinters in Warbreaker in the form of the Returned.

That does make more sense than Nightblood being a splinter, I must admit.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »
i guess nightblood could TECHNICALLY hold a shard... but i don't know how she/it would get one

Plus, everyone would be screwed if that happened.

Hahahaha!  Yeah, Odium would REALLY be in trouble, then!  :)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
I would like to insert here that we don't know all the shards involved in Roshar.  There are FOUR involved.  Odium, the Almighty, Cultivation and an unknown one.

Odium wasn't one of the three that created Roshar in the first place; those would be the Almighty, Cultivation, and the unknown.  Odium came after the fact, as it were, and has presumably been really messing around.  For a long time, apparently.
Nature hates being reified.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 01:01:28 AM »
I would like to insert here that we don't know all the shards involved in Roshar.  There are FOUR involved.  Odium, the Almighty, Cultivation and an unknown one.

Odium wasn't one of the three that created Roshar in the first place; those would be the Almighty, Cultivation, and the unknown.  Odium came after the fact, as it were, and has presumably been really messing around.  For a long time, apparently.
Bavadin, perhaps?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
Is there any particular reason that we don't believe Hoid has a Shard? 

I'm trying to think of some other explanation for the fact that he:
1. Planet-hops
2. Is potentially immortal
3. is on the same level/interacts with all the other Shardholders
4. was important enough to be at the Shattering
5. has the power to reconstitute Adonalsium (if that is, in fact, what he is trying to do)

It seems to me that he might be holding on to a Shard that we haven't been introduced to because it hasn't been important thus far. 

Any ideas?

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
I lean towards the idea that Hoid does NOT hold a shard for 2 simple reasons:

1) He's still walking around. Every other Shard holder we've encountered very quickly expanded into something that was more like a cloud consciousness and had no (humanoid) body. It's -possible- that Hoid's shard is unique in that respect, but I doubt it. Which leads me to point..

2) Hoid IS unique. I believe Brandon is creative enough that he doesn't need to fall back on the "Shard Holder" idea to explan every powerful being in the Cosmere. I like to believe that although Hoid was present during the shattering, he didn't actually get a shard, and his power has more to do with a deep understanding on how the Cosmere work. Basically he knows how to manipulate the natural forces of the Cosmere to his own ends.

I have more reasons to think this things about Hoid, including the wording of several quotes, but I'm going to hold off posting them for a different thread.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
"I've many." The man took Kaladin's hand. "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock."
"A pretty one, I hope."
"A beautiful one," the man said. "And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it"

I posted this quote up on 17th shard, The second part makes me think he held one at one point and time, and then lost it.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 02:50:54 AM »
Is it possible to try and assign numbers to the shards? Each world seems to have magic numbers. Mistborn is the most obvious, with Preservation liking the number 16. The number 10 is big in the Stormlight Archive. And after reading Warbreaker again, it seems like the number 5 shows up a lot: the five scholars, the five visions, Returned are of the fifth Heightening, and a few other places.

Would it be crazy to guess that Endowment is the 5th shard, The Almighty of WoK is the 10th, and Preservation was the 16th?

The only problem I see is that Ruin never had a number manifested (but that could just be because Preservation had more contact with humans), and on other worlds with multiple shards it'd be hard to decide what numbers are special, and which shard sponsors them.

I can't think of any numbers from Elantris either. Can anyone else help me out?

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:32 AM »
"I've many." The man took Kaladin's hand. "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock."
"A pretty one, I hope."
"A beautiful one," the man said. "And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it"

I posted this quote up on 17th shard, The second part makes me think he held one at one point and time, and then lost it.

This makes plenty of sense. I can't believe I didn't pick up on the "named for a rock" thing. That sounds like he was named for a shard, just like how Ati became known as simply ruin. Although how he lost it or how it became worthless isn't so clear. We haven't seen if a shard holder is even capable of giving up their power yet. But it would explain why Hoid is so well versed in the cosmere.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »
"A pretty one, I hope."

This makes plenty of sense. I can't believe I didn't pick up on the "named for a rock" thing. That sounds like he was named for a shard, just like how Ati became known as simply ruin. Although how he lost it or how it became worthless isn't so clear. We haven't seen if a shard holder is even capable of giving up their power yet. But it would explain why Hoid is so well versed in the cosmere.

It does sound like Hoid is special in some way. That the shard reacted differently to him than the others. Which might be why he is so different from all the other shardholders, and might be why he may have lost the shard (but there is nothing there implying that he did from what I can see).
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
perhaps Hoid did not take the shards personality upon himself, and if it was a shard, how did it become completely worthless?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
perhaps Hoid did not take the shards personality upon himself, and if it was a shard, how did it become completely worthless?
Maybe the shard was something completely at odds with his nature.

Y'know... "Straightforwardness", or "Full Disclosure" or something.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
Whichever Shard Hoid had/ has is probably the 4th one on Roshar, he is a PoV in this series.

Maybe the shard was something completely at odds with his nature.

Y'know... "Straightforwardness", or "Full Disclosure" or something.
Wouldn't matter Hoid says Ati was kind once.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz