Author Topic: *Spoilers* General Shard List  (Read 21556 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: *Spoilers* General Shard List
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
About p119 and Elithanathile:

"a heretic wielding one of the most sacred powers in all the world. The power of change itself, the power by which the Almighty had created Roshar. He had another name, allowed to pass only the lips of ardents. Elithanathile. He Who Transforms."

It is possible that this is referring to Adonalsium, which is certainly the power by which the Almighty had created Roshar.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
I find it highly unlikely that the Almighty's actual name is Elithanathile. Why? Because if you look, the Ardents have changed every last one of the Herald's names so that it's either a palindrome or closer to one than it was.

In the prelude, we have Kalak (which, admittedly, is already a palindrome), Jezrien, Talenel, and Ishar.

In the prologue, we have Kelek, Jerezereh, Talenelat, and Ishi. We also get a quick comment about a Herald named Shalash.

I realize this is from Szeth's point of view, and therefore could just be something from Shin culture, but Szeth specifically calls them the Ten Heralds from ancient Vorinism.

The Almighty's name could certainly be related to Elithanathile, but I don't think that it is that exactly.

I was also under the impression that Stormfather was reffering to Jezrien. I'll try to find the relevant quote.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:36 AM »
How 'bout Elithan as a name?
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 04:42:44 AM »
Elithanathile for the Almighty is absolutely fine, as the reason names aren't quite symmetrical on Roshar is because it would be heretical to Vorinism, and tantamount to claiming divinity. But it's probably not the name of the shardholder anymore than Ruin was Ati's real name- it's probably just a fourth name that the "Almighty" picked up in addition to his real name and shard name.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:57 AM »
Random Theory, slightly related to the topic:

Hoid is somehow rooted in why Adonalsium split into Shards.  The "element" that was mentioned in the part 2 epigraphs is either the element that split Adonalsium, or the centerpiece that held them together, and can be used to rejoin them.

And no, I don't think that the "element" is the black crystal that the king gave to Szeth.  Besides being random and mysterious, there's no connection, and it makes no sense for Hoid to have "protected" it by giving it to the king whom many people wanted dead.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
Something I'm curious about is what Aona's and Skai's shards were. The part 2 epigraphs give me the impression that they were particularly dangerous to Rayse.

If a Seon is a splinter of a Shard, the Shard is probably Love. Seons are basically pure love. Or maybe Loyalty, since Seo means Loyalty.

If we follow an analogy to Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth, then the other Shard would be Obedience. Maybe Fear, but probably Obedience. That's more of a guess though.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »
I'd probably go with Structure (rigid hierarchy, all manifestations of the Dor).

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
Is it possible that not all of the shards are held by someone? Or can other species (koloss, kandra, various animals) hold shards as well?

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »
I would think that sentience is required to hold a shard (access to all three realms, spiritual, cognitive and physical). That is likely the only requirement.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »
I thought that the Stormfather was a Shard, and it was highly implied in my opinion that the Stormfather and the Almighty were one and the same.  It just made sense to me that Dalinar would have his visions during highstorms if this was true... because highstorms are the Stormfather's legacy on Roshar, and we know from the end that the visions are from the Almighty.

It is specifically stated by Sigzil that Stormfather was another name for Jezrien. It's in Chapter 55 (pg 768 on the UK version)

"Jenzien?" Malop said, standing and scratching his head. "Who's that?"
"You call him the Stormfather, here in Althkar," Sigzil said. "Or Jezerezeh'Elin. He was the King of Heralds. Master of storms, bringer of water and life, known for his fury and his temper, but also for his mercy."

It does sound here that Jenzien has some great power. Whether it is something connected with one of the ten essences, or a splinter of the shard of the Almighty (whatever the shard is called), I can only guess. But maybe this implies that the face seen in the high storm by Kaladin is Jenzien. In addition, the voice Kaladin hears in his dream where he is riding the high storm (it tells him that the oathpact has ended and Odium reigns) may also belong to Jenzien.

Thoughts anyone?
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

jcats

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
I think the Face in the Highstorm is the Face of the Almighty, but that the Highstorms are part of the Automatic powers left over after the Almighty's Death.   IE: the Raidents, and the Highstorms are both Effects of the Almighty's shard, and possibly part of the Defense against Odium.

i believe the Reason they call the Stormfather Jezerezh'elin is because they've mixed the terms and effects of their religions up a bit.

in essence, the 10 Heralds, being the only ones with Names, have been ascribed more and more importance, and have been mixed into the Effects of the 3 shards, since the Humans on Roshan are only aware of The Allmighty, and the Voidbringers.

One question i have,  who is the Nightwatcher?  she's described with a Female Gender, while both Odium, and the Allmighty are described/shown to be Male.  Could she be the 3rd Shard Cultivation?

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
One question i have,  who is the Nightwatcher?  she's described with a Female Gender, while both Odium, and the Allmighty are described/shown to be Male.  Could she be the 3rd Shard Cultivation?

I'm pretty convinced she is.  The Almighty says at the end, that Cultivation is much better at seeing the future than he, and it is mentioned several times in the book that Vorinism despises all forms of future telling, but that in the Western countries, it is more accepted, due to their belief in the Old Magic.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
could she be the one that hoids letters are adressed to?  and if all it takes to hold a shard is sentience would nightblood count?

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:28 AM »
i guess nightblood could TECHNICALLY hold a shard... but i don't know how she/it would get one

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »
i guess nightblood could TECHNICALLY hold a shard... but i don't know how she/it would get one

Plus, everyone would be screwed if that happened.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.