Author Topic: *Spoilers* General Shard List  (Read 21558 times)

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
*Spoilers* General Shard List
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »
I thought I'd try to catalog all the information we have about the Shards of Adonalsium in one place.

The format is:
Name - Shard - World - Status (alive/dead)

Italicized data is unconfirmed.

Here goes:

Ati - Ruin - Scadrial - dead
Leras - Preservation - Scadrial - dead
Sazed - Ruin/Preservation - Scadrial - alive
Aona - ?? - Sel - dead
Skai - ?? - Sel - dead
Rayse - Odium - Roshar - alive
Bavadin - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - Cultivation - Roshar - ??
Elithanathile (Almighty) - ?? - Roshar - dead
?? - Endowment - Nalthis - alive
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ?? - ??

Is there anything I'm missing?
I didn't put Hoid in there, because I don't think he has a shard.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:53:33 AM by Sir_Read-a-Lot »
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

zraith

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* General Shard List
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:51:18 AM »
Was looking up this recently and Warbreaker's world is Nalthis.

Question that is somewhat related to this, is the world in Way of Kings called Roshar?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »
Question that is somewhat related to this, is the world in Way of Kings called Roshar?
Yes.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:59:11 AM »
Cultivation is a Roshar Shard.  And we're not sure whether the Almighty and the Stormfather are the same entity.  Rayse/Odium is also a Roshar Shard.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
I was under the impression that "Stormfather" was just another name for Jezrien.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:01:07 AM »
I was under the impression that "Stormfather" was just another name for Jezrien.

I thought that the Stormfather was a Shard, and it was highly implied in my opinion that the Stormfather and the Almighty were one and the same.  It just made sense to me that Dalinar would have his visions during highstorms if this was true... because highstorms are the Stormfather's legacy on Roshar, and we know from the end that the visions are from the Almighty.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »
Cultivation is a Roshar Shard.  And we're not sure whether the Almighty and the Stormfather are the same entity.  Rayse/Odium is also a Roshar Shard.
I disagree slightly.  Cultivation is mentioned by the visions (Almighty), but I don't think this means that she is necessarily a Roshar Shard.  Clearly, Rayse can travel between worlds, so clearly there is some communication between them.

The same is true for Odium, but even more so, because we know he has traveled between worlds.

I do agree that for them to be Roshar shards is highly likely, though.  Except that if Cultivation and Odium are Roshar Shards, why is the local religion monotheistic?
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
It mentions in the book that Elithanathile is the Almighty's name. Could just be a creation of the Ardents though.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
I do agree that for them to be Roshar shards is highly likely, though.  Except that if Cultivation and Odium are Roshar Shards, why is the local religion monotheistic?
I'd say it's because Cultivation's influence is concentrated in Shinovar.  The rest of the world was forced to focus on the Almighty/Odium conflict to survive, and Cultivation took one look at that situation and went as far away from it as possible without leaving the world, ending up in the far west to induce the present-day overwhelmingly peaceful farming-focused culture of the Shin.  Shinovar ended up with Cultivation as the dominant influence and was isolated from the rest of the world.  Everywhere else had little connection with Cultivation's claimed domain and focused almost exclusively on The Almighty as a god figure and Odium and his Voidbringers as a devil/satan figure, with the eternal war between the two as the primary focus of the entire culture.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 03:45:49 PM »
Although if Cultivation is the focus of the Shin religion, does that mean the whole "stone is sacred" thing came from her? And if so, what does that tell us?

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
During Lightsong's flashback near the end of Warbreaker, he says a voice offered him the choice to Return. I'd take this as decent evidence that Endowment was alive at least up until shortly before the book starts.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
It mentions in the book that Elithanathile is the Almighty's name. Could just be a creation of the Ardents though.
Could you find the reference, please?

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
Hardcover pg. 119

RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
Thanks.  The page also indicates that his Shard might be Change, or Transformation.

I do notice that his name is symmetrical.  That seems to be his signature, just like 16 was Preservation's signature.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:30:37 PM »
Something I'm curious about is what Aona's and Skai's shards were. The part 2 epigraphs give me the impression that they were particularly dangerous to Rayse.