Author Topic: *Spoilers* General Shard List  (Read 24298 times)

Pechvarry

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* General Shard List
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
The rock could've been Adonalsium.  /back at the "Hoid broke the universe" theory again.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
alternatively, it could have just been a rock, a special rock maybe, but still just a rock.  I doubt that Hoid had a shard, besides I dont think the shards are rocks, atium was metal, preservation was mist, endowment is colors, seons on sel.  and when sazed took the power of ruin and preservation it wasnt like he found two glowing rocks on the ground

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:07 AM »
Maybe this has something to do with Tien. He could tell the difference between an ordinary rock and a special rock.  :P
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
it could have been the same rock that Rock was named after :D...there do seem to be a lot of rocks in this story, so maybe they are more important than I thought

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
It could also---get this---be a part of his backstory that we haven't heard yet!

I know this is an extreme suggestion, but I just wanted to toss it out there.
Nature hates being reified.

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
"I've many." The man took Kaladin's hand. "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock."
"A pretty one, I hope."
"A beautiful one," the man said. "And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it"

I posted this quote up on 17th shard, The second part makes me think he held one at one point and time, and then lost it.

He says he began life as a thought and concept. Is it possible that he wasn't originally human like the others appeared to be, but some creature from Shadesmar?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
He says he began life as a thought and concept. Is it possible that he wasn't originally human like the others appeared to be, but some creature from Shadesmar?

I like that one. It would go far to explain how he can planet-hop so easily using Shadesmar.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

heatemyhorse

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »
"I've many." The man took Kaladin's hand. "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock."
"A pretty one, I hope."
"A beautiful one," the man said. "And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it"

I posted this quote up on 17th shard, The second part makes me think he held one at one point and time, and then lost it.

I kind of thought that Hoid began life as Brandon Sanderson's concept (words on a page). Maybe Sanderson will write himself into the novels as the supreme god of his cosmere.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
In Warbreaker i thought storytelling Hoid was supposed to represent Tolkien
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »

Naw, you're thinking of Slowswift from Hero of Ages.  Hoid is Hoid, and I suspect that Brandon has a perfectly consistent in-world interpretation of him.

He may well not have always been human, though.  It sounds like he has an interesting backstory, although nothing in his description makes me think he held a shard.  Maybe at one point he went by the pseudonym of Jaddeth, and it stuck?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

Naw, you're thinking of Slowswift from Hero of Ages.  Hoid is Hoid, and I suspect that Brandon has a perfectly consistent in-world interpretation of him.

He may well not have always been human, though.  It sounds like he has an interesting backstory, although nothing in his description makes me think he held a shard.  Maybe at one point he went by the pseudonym of Jaddeth, and it stuck?

Jaddeth is imprisoned in rock, only to be released when all on Sel are converted.  ;)
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »

Jaddeth is imprisoned in rock, only to be released when all on Sel are converted.  ;)

Now that we know there were two Shards on Sel (and suspect that pieces of the shards are floating around), I seriously wonder what this really meant, back in the day.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 02:34:50 AM »
I'm re-reading Elantris again and I'm like whoa. There are so many religions, but none of them seem to be linked directly to a shard. Are the religions independed of the shards, or are there other shards on Sel we don't know about. Or maybe some shards came and left like Odium did?

But then again, there is some similarity between Jesker and Aona, mainly that of the Dor. But in addition, I have a theory that Aona put her shard essence into the land, which is why there is such a strong connection between the land and the aons (thus the roed occured when aona's shard was shattered). If this is true, then it would be similar to Jaddeth who is imprisoned in the rock.

So in the end I am really confused.  ???
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:11 AM »
Maybe this has something to do with Tien. He could tell the difference between an ordinary rock and a special rock.  :P

I waited patiently for that particular fixation to become a plot point.

Even though he's now dead, I expect it will be. I've noticed Sanderson adheres strongly to the The Law Of Conservation Of Detail. (Danger: TVTropes)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »
Tien actually did not die. The body Kaladin found was placed there to look like Tien died. Tien is fact now part of a supersecret rock hunting squad. Just knowing of their existence is instant death.  :P
 -- Darkeyed Soldier