Author Topic: Nine Survivors (WoK spoilers)  (Read 2253 times)

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Nine Survivors (WoK spoilers)
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:06:24 AM »
At the San Diego book signing, someone said "it seems contradictory for Kalak to refer to the fighting as 'extremely furious', and then for nine of the Heralds to survive".

I don't recall the exact wording of Brandon's response, but amid the RAFO, he said that there was a reason that they survived, in a way that implied that there was something else unusual going on.

My theory: Odium let them survive, giving them a chance to leave. This might be a part of his plan.

Alternate theory: Jezrien is a bad guy.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Nine Survivors (WoK spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
I'm more inclined to believe the first of the two theories, though anything's possible at this point.

Exact wording would be nice, though, if someone's got it. If not, eh, I'll live. Barely.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
OOooh interesting.  Nice catch.  I hadn't thought about that.  Maybe Jezrien is odium in disguise...

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Exact wording would be nice, though, if someone's got it. If not, eh, I'll live. Barely.
I think it was something like this...

Q: So, Kalak says that the battle was so fierce, but only one of them died. Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Brandon: Yes. [everyone laughs]

Brandon: You're just gonna have to read and find out. There's definitely more going on there than has been explained so far. But I really can't talk much about the prelude.

That was the gist of it, anyways. If anyone else was there, feel free to correct me.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
Q: So, Kalak says that the battle was so fierce, but only one of them died. Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Brandon: Yes. [everyone laughs]

Brandon: You're just gonna have to read and find out. There's definitely more going on there than has been explained so far. But I really can't talk much about the prelude.

I was on the opposite end of the room when this question was asked, but that's pretty much how it went. There was a lot of background noise (laughing) when the kid pointed out that it was a contradiction, so I couldn't hear some of Brandon's response. Still, I have to throw some support to the idea that Jezrien isn't actually a good guy in the prelude. He's the only one there and Kelek notices that Jezrien seems 'broken' and a 'coward' as well. Also, the way that Brandon read Jezrien's lines just made me think, "Wow, that character sounds like a d**che."

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
Yeah, the tone he used for Jezrien sounded sort of arrogant. That's actually what made me think of that possibility.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
Personally, I don't see Jezrien being a 'bad guy.' It's more like I see there being the possibility that he may have made a deal with the devil or something to that effect.

ashaman33

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
Personally, I don't see Jezrien being a 'bad guy.' It's more like I see there being the possibility that he may have made a deal with the devil or something to that effect.

That sounds more reasonable to me. Because he was a coward and couldn't take the torture anymore, he may have cut a deal with Odium.