Author Topic: Brandon's D.C. Signing (Sep 8)  (Read 3929 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Brandon's D.C. Signing (Sep 8)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
I played Archenemy against Brandon at DragonCon a few times, so I've seen a lot of his deck.  Brandon's Archenemy deck focuses a lot on Eldrazi.  I think he's got all of the legendary Eldrazi (Emrakul, Kozilek, Ulamog, etc.), plus Eye of Ugin, 4 Eldrazi Temples, 4 Cloudposts, 4 All Is Dust (1 of which he got by trading with me at DragonCon ;D), and 4 Not of This World.  I don't remember much of what else he's got, but he has quite a few of the old no-drawback dual lands.

This is pretty much what he played against us tonight in Chicago. And just obliterated us with it. He is now 8-0 with this Archenemy deck.

That 15/15 flyer that has protection from every color and destroys 6 permanents is game over. It's what killed me.
Sir, you have just been Cthullu'd.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »

Good news:  As he was going out the door, he was talking with the bookstore staff and his local "handler" and I overheard him say, "I'll see you in November," so it sounds like he'll be back pretty soon...and at the same location.  From all appearances, that's the bookstore of choice for Fantasy/Sci-Fi signings, while there's another one downtown where most of the political and non-fiction ones are done.

I didn't realize they picked certain stores for certain genres. So I guess we will never see any sci-fi fantasy authors at the Barnes and Noble in Tysons Corner? It is right off the beltway. I think Newt Gingrich was there. They also had the guy who wrote the book version of the HBO series the Pacific. According to Peter, authors don't have any say over which store they go to. I really can't get to the one in Baileys Crossroads. I live in Reston and I get up for work at 5 AM. It is really not practical.

So does this mean all of the fantasy/sci-fi authors that come to town will go to Baileys Crossroads? Is there anyway to get on a mailing list from Barnes and Noble just for Sci-fi/fantasy authors coming to town for signings?

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
That was the indication that they gave when I talked with them.  I'm sure it's not a hard and fast rule, but it makes sense.  If you pay attention to a particular store, you'll find out about certain events more often, and they build a regularity that brings more people out.

One other thing Brandon mentioned at the signing...he IS planning on publishing Elantris II in the next few books (not next year, though).  The crowd cheered when he mentioned that. ;D
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Greymalkin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
@Calvin: I'd definitely like to meet up if he ends up coming here in November.  Posse up. 

And I have a quick question too.... Brandon mentioned an author he admires during his Q/A.  I have a horrible memory for names *and* things that I overhear... I want to say it was something like "Tom Archer", but I am pretty sure I'm 100% wrong about that (Google confirms).  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up "Bea Smith".  Does anyone remember who it was? 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »
Could it be Terry Pratchett? Brandon thinks he's a genius.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!