Author Topic: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2  (Read 16254 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »
I tend to think that one of the 10 people in all of the world chosen to become an immortal warrior who battles against the armies of a dark god is probably resourceful enough to deal with the local magistrate.
Just sayin.
I think that even an immortal would be incredibly disoriented after 4500 years of torture.
If they put him in jail he'll just summon his sword, break free and stomp up to the castle to speak to the man in charge, who unfortunately is in the Shattered Planes.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:43 AM »
My hope/prediction/wild theory? Hoid turns out to be a Time Lord.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
My hope/prediction/wild theory? Hoid turns out to be a Time Lord.

Hoid is the Doctor!  :o
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51:33 AM »
Kaladin is dangerous no doubt about it. But Szeth is a friggin killing machine. Lets not forget that Gavilar was considered one of the best swordsman alive, and Szeth took him down. The he took down what 3? 4? Full Shard bearers at once? I suppose it depends on the time line we are talking about.  If Kaladan actually gets trained then I expect to see a serious battle on par with Drizzt vs Artemis

Ew.  Salvatore's "spin like a top with swords in hands" fight scenes.  I'd prefer to think "on par with Kelsier vs the Steel Inquisitor."

Szeth's good, and has a huge edge against Kaladin.  But... Kaladin killed a man with shardplate and shardblade.  Wth ordinary weapons.  That's absolutely insane. 

And it certainly would be cool if Taln's the reason none of the main characters kill each other.  Szeth sure would be surprised to fight someone who understands his lashings likely as well as he does.  Bonus points if shardblades can't harm him (Stonesinew's the name, and all that).  That'd be a shock to Szeth.

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
Ew.  Salvatore's "spin like a top with swords in hands" fight scenes.  I'd prefer to think "on par with Kelsier vs the Steel Inquisitor."
Meh, I was talking more about the skill of the combatants involved and less about the skill of the authors. ;)

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
Szeth versus Kaladin is going to be interesting, Szeth is going to be shocked to run into another Surgebinder, and he's probably never fought anybody as good with a spear as Kaladin is.

It also depends on whether Kaladin figures out the Basic Lashing before Szeth gets there, since that's really the most useful for combat stuffs.  Also the coolest.

I don't think either of them will be killed, and I don't think Dalinar will either, something will happen to interrupt their fight before that happens.  Maybe Talanel will.

Also, I'm looking forward to Kaladin and Shallan meeting...

XJface

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
Everyone focuses on Szeth vs Kaladin because they're both Windrunners, but how about Szeth vs Jasnah instead?

That fight would go rather differently for Szeth.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
The only way Jasnah would win that is if she caught Szeth by surprise. She'd never be fast enough to get him otherwise.  He would be on her before she had a chance to do anything.

Also, Szeth is too cool to die.  At least that soon.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
Everyone focuses on Szeth vs Kaladin because they're both Windrunners, but how about Szeth vs Jasnah instead?

That fight would go rather differently for Szeth.

The other reason everybody focuses on this fight is because Szeth was just sent to assassinate Dalinar.  Dalinar just employed Kaladin to be his bodyguard.  It's not hard to speculate where that might be headed.  Of course, we could be surprised, and knowing Brandon, it would be an even better plot than what we're imagining.  But it's a very natural fight to expect.
Nature hates being reified.

XJface

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 03:09:04 AM »
True, but remember, Jasnah and Shallan are going to the Shattered Plains too.

CyberSpren

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
That Szeth's honorstone will turn out to be a fabriole of sorts...a prison in which his HonorSpren has been bound.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »
The only way Jasnah would win that is if she caught Szeth by surprise. She'd never be fast enough to get him otherwise.  He would be on her before she had a chance to do anything.

Also, Szeth is too cool to die.  At least that soon.

Are you sure about that (the question of speed and surprise, not that Szeth is protected by his position in the plot)?

Jasnah can turn a man into fire without touching him, and I don't recall anything that suggests you can dodge a Soulcasting. Against a group of attackers (well, supernaturally enhanced attackers like Szeth) I think Jasnah might be in trouble, but one on one... I don't know.

zalasta

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
I for one appreciated the (general) lack of romance in this book, this series certainly would not benefit from any unnecessary hookups or love triangles.  With that said, I thought Shallan's brief flirtatious scenes with Kabsal felt really awkward and out of character.  Navani was a disappointment, I thought she'd be as interesting as Jasnah but all she ever did was to seduce and distract Dalinar.  I sure hope she'll be more developed later on rather than seen just as a romantic interest.

The reveal about King Taravangian really did not sit well with me.  Felt too forced to elevate a rather minor character all of a sudden to the big bad brain of the operation.  Another thing that need to be rectify in the future.

Food for thought: Is Shallan potentially the most powerful of all of the characters we've seen so far?  She has a shardblade and can soulcast.  Granted she has no training in either, but having both abilities certainly gives her an edge.  Szeth is probably the only person on par since he also has a shardblade and can surgebind.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:27:23 PM by zalasta »

ShadowSoul

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2010, 06:32:09 AM »
i've only just really gotten into Brandon's work,
Way of Kings was my first and Mistborn book 1 is my second,
haven't read anything else but am damned impressed by him!!!!

well right off the bat i want to know about the Dawnshards - are they the shardblades of the heralds? because in the prelude a line states "these Blades were weapons of power beyond even Shardblades. these were unique. precious."

And more on the Dawnsingers (who supposedly created everything on Roshar as far as i understand it) and the Dawnchant.
was the Almighty a Dawnsinger? is Odium one also just gone bad?
we all know the Almighty is dead since he tells Dalinar odium killed him in one of the visions that the Almighty seems to have left inside the magical stormlight inside Highstorms and Dalinar sees them every Highstorm.
also somewhere in WoK (dont ask me which page) it is mentioned someone else gets these visions so that implies Dalinar isn't unique... so maybe Dalinar is a descendant of the radiants just like Kaladin but of a different Order...
only problem is Dalinar doesn't have an honorspren like Kaladin has in Syl... and on that subject i want to know all the orders and their powers and i want to know about Honorspren?

it seems Jasnah and Shallan are some kind of Radiants because they can Soulcast without a Soulcast fabrial, but they have those puzzle-headed spren i'll call "Soulcaster spren"
near the end of the book Elhokar also mentions seeing these Soulcasterspren in the mirror or out the corner of his eye, which is why he's so paranoid about assassins.
also honorspren seem to have a default type when not bound to a radiant, Syl starts off as a windspren until she is bound to kaladins honorability and binds him with the powers of Surgebinding and i assume windrunning, (only cos Szeth says that he is a surgebinder and windrunner somewhere)! so if a firespren is actually a honorspren does the radiant it binds get firepowers? etc?
did the radiants lose their light and powers because they somehow lost their honor and so their honorspren left them powerless? maybe thats why modern shardplate doesnt glow - no spren magic?

So the parshmen/parshendi are supposedly the voidbringers, so does that mean they wait for the Desolations Odium sends and then use their telepathic communications to all rise up and kill humans? or do they start the Desolations and summon those Shadowhounds and thunderclasts with Stormlight magic?

ShadowSoul

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:05 AM »
just read someone elses post,

they said they want to see the Herald returned Taln fight Szeth cos he'd understand the Assassin in whites powers...

maybe he would understand them but i think Taln represents a different set of powers, he probably founded the only other Order of Radiants mentioned in WoK the Stonewards, so i think Jezrien (who the Alethi call Stormfather) probably founded the Windrunners/Surgebinders since Jez is the lord of winds...
so Taln would know of Szeths wind-powers but not necessarily be able to stop them...
He is a Herald but the Heralds continuously died in the hundred or so desolations and returned to their torment in the fiery pits where i'm guessing Odium awaits the final desolation...
so Heralds can be killed, they just come back every desolation.

now just a guess but i think the Almighty created the races of man and Odium created the Voidbringers/Parshmen and couldn't share Roshar so they made the Oathpact, whereby Odium would send the desolations with all the monsters and cause the parshmen to rise up and kill mankind and in return the almighty got to choose ten Heralds to come forward each time and lead mankind in the fight to survive... but each victory they had to go back into torment by Odium until the next desolation.

Also im dead certain Hoid/Wit is one of the Heralds who forsook the Oathpact maybe lost their powers but stayed immortal... maybe Kalak since the book starts with Kalak and Jezrien and ends with Hoid and Taln... bit of symmetry for you...