Author Topic: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2  (Read 16230 times)

Kykeon

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
5. I was wondering if Shallan's Memories might be connected to/ the same thing as the Almighty's picture journal thing.  Dalinar mentions that the visions are some sort of journal, and I'm thinking they are a very advanced form of Shallan's Memories; the Almighty does say that most of the visions are ones he has seen directly and the rest of borne out of his fears.  I'm thinking he took Memories of those visions and then projected them into the future/past/whenever.
Projected them into the future?
I think it is more -ahem- mundane than that.
My theory is that The Origin of storms contains a larger part of The Almighty that "leaks" a part of his power in the form of highstorms, and was imprited with his memories.
Sort of like a supernatural answerinng machine.
Which is the reason why the visions repeat themselves after a while.
I also think that spren are a part of the "mental" component of the Almighty, and that they need humans to channel the "spiritual" power which is the Stormlight.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
I wouldn't count Kaladin out of the fight with Szeth. He has taken the Oath whereas Szeth presumably has not. He has experience fighting (and beating) shardbearers. He can already use two of the three Lashings, and has time to learn the Basic Lashing (which is, ironically, the best for combat). And, he may well have other surgebinders on his team.

That's my hope for book 2. I want at least some of Bridge 4 to be able to learn Surgebinding. I really think that group will be the seed of the restored Knights Radiant.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »
Oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE more Sigzil.   :-*

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
I really want to read Sigzil's reaction when Kaladin told him what Wit/Hoid said about his apprentice. When nothing happened I was like boooo.... :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:25:26 AM by Stormblessed »
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
A Szeth vs. Kaladin fight would be super cool. I worry of course that Szeth may kill Dalinar but, I really don't see that happening. Maybe just some paranoia from my time reading George R.R. Martin. That man uses his characters like kleenex. I really want to see the rising of the new Knights Radiant. When that was mentioned in the book I got goose bumps! I really look forward to seeing what happens between Hoid and Talenel. Oh hells, I just want the second book out now!!

AMM

Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination.
Dalinar = Ned, Sadeus = Lord Bailish?  ;D
If GRRM had had a hand in the last plateau-assault, Dalinar would now have to bury one of his sons...

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
I really want to read Sigzil's reaction when Kaladin told him what Wit/Hoid said about his apprentice. When nothing happened I was like boooo.... :(
Same here. :-/

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Untill one of the interviews told us that Dalinor is going to be the main character of a future book which may or may not be the next book I thought that we had a high likelihood of Szeth killing Dalinor (Adolin could take his role), but Szeth's encounter with Dalinor pretty much has to happen in the next book, and if Dalinor may be the main character of it, or if not will be the main character of a future book, that sounds like his death is not going to happen soon.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »
A Szeth vs. Kaladin fight would be super cool. I worry of course that Szeth may kill Dalinar but, I really don't see that happening. Maybe just some paranoia from my time reading George R.R. Martin. That man uses his characters like kleenex. I really want to see the rising of the new Knights Radiant. When that was mentioned in the book I got goose bumps! I really look forward to seeing what happens between Hoid and Talenel. Oh hells, I just want the second book out now!!

AMM

If GRRM had had a hand in the last plateau-assault, Dalinar would now have to bury one of his sons...

If GRRM has written that passage, they probably would've lost and Elohkar would have been killed by his wife that was having incest with the her twin brother, so then Dalinar would come in all high and mighty to fix things and also end up without a head.

Lol I love GRRM, he has a way of writing that no other fantasy author can recreate. His books are dunked in realism and set alight, so that all characters slowly burn. It is awesome, but thank the Almighty this doesn't happen in WoK. Books can get depressing when cool characters die. I dont want that to happen here.  :(
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

AMM

If GRRM has written that passage, they probably would've lost and Elohkar would have been killed by his wife that was having incest with the her twin brother, so then Dalinar would come in all high and mighty to fix things and also end up without a head.

Lol I love GRRM, he has a way of writing that no other fantasy author can recreate. His books are dunked in realism and set alight, so that all characters slowly burn. It is awesome, but thank the Almighty this doesn't happen in WoK. Books can get depressing when cool characters die. I dont want that to happen here.  :(
...Because Brandon Sanderson doesn't kill off cool characters?

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Clubs, Hrathen, and Lightsong would like a word with you.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »

AMM

...Because Brandon Sanderson doesn't kill off cool characters?

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Clubs, Hrathen, and Lightsong would like a word with you.

Vin, Elend and Lightsong die at the end of the book and are usually wrapped up in a way that is usually very comforting, like there better off. Ned dies near the end of the first book with seven to go, seven long long books, and he is not the only cool character to die so early in the series. With the exception of pretty much Kelsier, all Brandon's characters die at the end, and there deaths feel like they meant something.

Sorry but when Ned died I was like, well he didn't really get much done. They killed him as soon as he tried to do something.

But this is all besides the point. Both authors are fantastic. Both having amazing books. But I wouldn't want GRRM to write Brandon's books and vice-versa.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

C12VT

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
I agree with the Shalan/Adolin thing--except I can't decide who I want her to be with.  Maybe Renarin?  (a love triangle would be sad, but interesting)   

A Shallan/Adolin/Renarin love triangle would be an interesting parallel to the Navani/Gavilar/Dalinar love triangle in the backstory... I don't know if I could see Shallan and Adolin together though. I'd like to see more of Renarin in general - he's an interesting character.

I hope Shallan gets the next book. She's probably my favorite character, and I really want to find out what happened with her father. I also want to see more of Jasnah.  And I want more Bridge Four.

I think Dalinar will die or be taken out of the action at some point in the series, so that Adolin will be forced to take on his responsibilities.

My wild theory: I think that Adolin's current girlfriend is some sort of spy.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
I can definitely see a Shallan/Adolin relationship blooming. Whether it will be like a Vin/Elend thing with Renarin (or someone else) being the spook equivalent. Personally i would rather Adolin liking shallan (for some unknown reason he actually has feelings for her, instead of her just being the next interesting thing which seems to be his take on woman) and shallan liking Renarin, but Renarin doesn't want to go against his brother, which would create alot of tension.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
I want Shallan to somehow die. Hate me. And I know it won't happen.
Through reading the book I couldn't help loathing the person she was.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
I suppose this is pretty terrible for a reader of fiction, but the only thing worse than love triangles for me is love triangles involving siblings.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
she could fall in love with Kaladin, that would be more appropriate wouldnt it? i doubt that either of Dalinars kids are going to fall in love with their cousins student