Author Topic: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2  (Read 16229 times)

Salkara

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes/Predictions/Wild Theories for Book 2
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
One thing that's been itching at me: Szeth is the only person with a small shardblade.  Perhaps he's already completed his cycle, merged entirely with his spren (or something), and been granted his own shardblade instead of inheriting it.

I seem to remember one of Szeth's point-of-views stating that he was burdened with the Shardblade by his people, which made me interpret it was they made him take it.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
i always thought that different orders of the radients would use different kind of weapons, so it makes sense that there would be some smaller sword out there, and maybe there are other kinds of weapons out there somewhere, spears bows that sort of thing

Tangletalon

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 03:29:39 AM »
I want to see spren!! And more from Interlude viewpoints

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
I hope that Elhokar matures.  Brandon likes playing with fantasy stereotypes, and one fantasy stereotype is the irredeemably spoiled young king.  Dalinar cares enough about helping Elhokar grow up that it better happen.  Dalinar is kind of the man.

Jasnah was quite defensive of King Taragavarariawhateverhisface.  For being one of the smartest people in Roshar, you'd think she would know something about him.  Is Jasnah evil, and involved with King Traraggvvaiean?

Elokhar has some kind of power, perhaps similar to Jasnah. There's no way the faces in the mirror he's scene with narrow faces are a figment of his imagination.

I think she probably knows about his crazy ethunasia program, how else would she be so convinced that the world's on the brink of disaster. I don't think she knows of his involvement with the assassin.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
Wow.  I have a lot!  I don't expect most of these to completely play out in Book 2 (It would be even longer than the first one!) but I do hope they at least get addressed as the series progresses.

1. Taravangian: I'm wondering about his connection with Odium. 

2. Absolutely Kaladin vs. Szeth.  I foresee this becoming an ongoing rivalry.

3. I got a little too excited when I had this thought: Shallan and Adolin!  It makes total sense!

4. The epigraph letter is totally by Hoid (sorry non-believers).  The 17th Shard are the men looking for him--I can't wait to see more of them--and they are definitely from Sel.  No way would Brandon use the word "kayana" by accident.

5. I was wondering if Shallan's Memories might be connected to/ the same thing as the Almighty's picture journal thing.  Dalinar mentions that the visions are some sort of journal, and I'm thinking they are a very advanced form of Shallan's Memories; the Almighty does say that most of the visions are ones he has seen directly and the rest of borne out of his fears.  I'm thinking he took Memories of those visions and then projected them into the future/past/whenever.

6. It was mentioned somewhere on the forums that Odium visited Sel before the events of Elantris.  I can't believe no one has made the connection yet, but hello: Odium caused the Reod!  My guess is that his killing Skai and Aona was what created the Chasm and therefore the fall of Elantris. 

7. This is a tall order, but I'd like a scene from Hoid's POV.  Better yet, I'll wait a few years so Brandon can write a book specifically about Adonalsium with Hoid as the main character!  Oh, my goodness gracious.  I think I'll go get in line for that book right now!!!

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »
7. This is a tall order, but I'd like a scene from Hoid's POV.  Better yet, I'll wait a few years so Brandon can write a book specifically about Adonalsium with Hoid as the main character!  Oh, my goodness gracious.  I think I'll go get in line for that book right now!!!
We already got a scene from his POV. Did you read the last chapter?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »

Oh, yeah!  Oops.  :)  I guess for some reason I didn't feel like there was enough there.  It was mostly just his speech.  I wish there would have been more internal monologue.  I really want to know how he thinks.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »

Oh, yeah!  Oops.  :)  I guess for some reason I didn't feel like there was enough there.  It was mostly just his speech.  I wish there would have been more internal monologue.  I really want to know how he thinks.
I don't think that's gonna happen, since he knows way too much. It would spoil a lot of the plot.

Remember how Vasher's scenes in Warbreaker said almost nothing of what he thought?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »

I don't think that's gonna happen, since he knows way too much. It would spoil a lot of the plot.

Remember how Vasher's scenes in Warbreaker said almost nothing of what he thought?

Yeah.  That's why I'll be waiting for him to get his very own book, and put all of this theorizing to rest.  I realize it probably wouldn't happen for 20+ years... but here's to hoping.

AndrewMM

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
A Szeth vs. Kaladin fight would be super cool. I worry of course that Szeth may kill Dalinar but, I really don't see that happening. Maybe just some paranoia from my time reading George R.R. Martin. That man uses his characters like kleenex. I really want to see the rising of the new Knights Radiant. When that was mentioned in the book I got goose bumps! I really look forward to seeing what happens between Hoid and Talenel. Oh hells, I just want the second book out now!!

AMM

Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination.
Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »
Szeth and Kaladin are almost certain to fight in the next book. But like someone said earlier, Szeth will wipe the floor with him. At least in their first fight. Szeth has been doing this for a lot longer, and has a Shardblade. Even if Kaladin were properly trained and experienced he still is simply not as well armed.

Hey maybe we will see if stormlight can heal Kaladin's arm after Szeth kills it with his blade..

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »
I want Kaladin's father to turn up at the Shattered Planes as a surgeon, and for Kaladin to reunite with him, maybe learning more about being a surgeon under him for old times sake.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
I think if Kaladins father shows up it will come along with a really sad story, and i think someone else deserves to have something sad happen to them now, maybe Jasnah

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:25 AM »
I agree with most everything that was said, so I'll just focus on one point:  CAN I GET SOME ROMANCE PLEASE?  hehe  Ok, so there was SOME in book 1, but it wasn't satisfactory.  I'm happy for Dalinar and all, but Shalan's didn't really end well...I wish that guy was still alive--his character is so interesting.

I agree with the Shalan/Adolin thing--except I can't decide who I want her to be with.  Maybe Renarin?  (a love triangle would be sad, but interesting)  Maybe Kaladin?  That'd be interesting with his hatred of lighteyes.  I'm not really interested in learning of Kaladin's long lost love--Tarah or whatever.  I certainly don't want her to come into the story.  I don't know why--she just didn't seem interesting.  Especially since he didn't even think of her until the end of the book.  lol  She couldn't have been TOO important to him.  "Tien, Tien, Tien...oh yeah Tarah..."  I'd be more interested in that girl he was childhood friend with who married the old guy--by far.

I loved book 1 SO much, but Brandon's romances are always SO good--he's very talented at that...

PS If Szeth kills Dalinar, that'd be the worst thing ever.  :( 

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
I don't think Szeth will kill Dalinar. I heard somewhere that Brandon is plaining for Dalinar to be the main PoV character for one of the books, and his still unsure of whether it will be the second or third book, which means he obviously hasn't planned for Dalinar to die anytime soon. Even if he was the main character of the second book, if Szeth killed him he would be dead in the prologue, which wouldnt make much of a story lol.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier