Author Topic: Sazed, The effects of holding two shards, and Odium  (Read 7133 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Sazed, The effects of holding two shards, and Odium
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:06 AM »
I have relevant quotes for these questions, not just mere speculation!

When does Way of Kings take place relative to Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker? It may be that Sazed has been Shardholder for a while, or that Alendi isn't even born yet.

I thought I remembered the books were scattered all over the Overall Timeline. I think Elantris was either very early or late, comparatively.

Though maybe you're right, because now that I think about it, the epigraphs did seem to mention Ati as finished.

This is one of the answers we got in the 17th Shard interview which should* come this weekend. He said all the books have occurred in chronological order in the cosmere as they've been published. So Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, then Way of Kings, in that order.

Also, Will found out at the Chicago signing that Odium went to Sel before the events of Elantris.

Next, for the actual question at hand, here's what I asked him in May:

Q: Will Sazed eventually go mad trying to hold two Shard's power at the same time (being pushed to two different Purposes simultaneously for millennia)? Why hasn't anyone else tried this trick before in the Cosmere?

ANSWER: No.  Since they're so opposite they work together to create a whole.  However, after a LONG time it would change him as a person.

So... there you have it, I guess?

whats odium? i've read all but way of kings in the adolsuim universe is it something in the way of kings?

Yes, this is probably quite spoilery. I strongly suggest you read it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
whats odium? i've read all but way of kings in the adolsuim universe is it something in the way of kings?
Heheheh, you're so close to knowing everything, it's just that the majority of what we know comes from WoK now.  Sorry, you're out of the loop!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
Heheheh, you're so close to knowing everything, it's just that the majority of what we know comes from WoK now.  Sorry, you're out of the loop!
DANG! I just don't have the cash to get it right now!!!!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
Q: Will Sazed eventually go mad trying to hold two Shard's power at the same time (being pushed to two different Purposes simultaneously for millennia)? Why hasn't anyone else tried this trick before in the Cosmere?

ANSWER: No.  Since they're so opposite they work together to create a whole.  However, after a LONG time it would change him as a person.

So... there you have it, I guess?

It sounds to me like Sazed won't go mad or become either of the powers individually.  He will become the embodiment of both powers together, becoming the mandate that both powers be used.

Could be worse.  At least using the powers together implies creation and balance rather than absolute stasis or destruction.  I do hope he shows up again in the timeline so we can know how it turns out for him, and if he ever gives up the powers.  There's gotta be something that happens with all this, right?
Nature hates being reified.

goateye

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:57 AM »
well,  all they need to do is get some imodium that should fix things.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:38 AM »
Some... what?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

jacobfake

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 03:00:02 AM »
maybe the ruin/preservation combo creates the policy of nonintervention that HOID mentions in his letter

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 03:17:15 AM »
maybe the ruin/preservation combo creates the policy of nonintervention that HOID mentions in his letter
The letter isn't written to Sazed, though. Note how it refers to Ati and Rayse as though they both knew them.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

wvufan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »

Oh, that was bad.  Where's the rimshot? :)

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »
I think Sazed will be pushed to some Taoist ideal of balance, although Chaos2651 has the quotes saying it'd take a long time if it happens.

And as for Odium being dangerous, I just think HATE HATE KILL KILL HATE KILL is an awfully more useful Shard power when it comes to combating other Shards. What it lacks in raw power, say against the 2 Shards on Sel, it makes up for in having no limits in its application. (edit: It's basically what power-gamers do when we realize all these different things have the same cost in character creation, but one sure is a lot more useful in combat... Rayse was clearly a power-gamer.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:35:02 PM by Morsker »

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:57:03 AM »
We can hope he's a min-maxer, and the game has 20 point flaws like 'dies instantly if you eat the egg of a golden chicken.'