Author Topic: *Spoilers* The element  (Read 2924 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
*Spoilers* The element
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
This bugged me a lot when I read this. Maybe I'm making something small bigger (in my mind).

Chapter 14
Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

So, assuming that the part 2 epigraphs are Hoid conversing with Sazed, what element do you think he's referring to? I'm thinking Atium.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* The element
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »
I can't imagine Sazed having a non-intervention policy.... And I can't think why Sazed would want Atium looking after....

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Maybe Lerasium, if there was any left.  Element+Sazed=Allomantic metal in my mind.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
This bugged me a lot when I read this. Maybe I'm making something small bigger (in my mind).

Chapter 14
Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

So, assuming that the part 2 epigraphs are Hoid conversing with Sazed, what element do you think he's referring to? I'm thinking Atium.

Well, since I'm quite certain the adressee isn't Sazed, I really can't say much more on the subject.

My reasoning:  Sazed wouldn't know Hoid, let alone hate him.  Sazed wouldn't reasonably be referred to as "You old reptile".  Sazed doesn't know any of the Shard's besides Ati and Leras, and he met them only well after their powers had transformed them.  The author's familiar references to Ati from before, not to mention Rayse and the other shards strongly suggest he is corresponding with somebody as familiar with those people and powers as he himself is.  Which rules Sazed right out.
Nature hates being reified.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
Darn. I should re-read the book more before I post :). I'm still curious as to what element Hoid is trying to protect. Damn you Brandon for making such an epic universe!

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
Not just epic...I don't think there's a big enough word to describe his universe.  He actually said last night at the D.C. signing (on the way out the door) that the series is part of a 32 or 36 (I can't remember which) ultimate part concept (includes Elantris, Mistborn, WoK, etc.).  At an average of one to two books per year, I'm wondering if anyone will survive to complete it!  If there was ever a reason to wish to live a long, healthy life, this is it.  Oh, and we've got to put a few bodyguards on him and assign him a professional driver as well. 
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
I think that this is just one of the things that we don't know enough about yet.

The only thing that could possibly qualify as an "element" is the black sphere Gavilar had, but Hoid doesn't HAVE that.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
I think that this is just one of the things that we don't know enough about yet.

The only thing that could possibly qualify as an "element" is the black sphere Gavilar had, but Hoid doesn't HAVE that.

Bah the Black Sphere. Are there any theories out on this thing yet?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »

Bah the Black Sphere. Are there any theories out on this thing yet?
My guess is that it's infused with black stormlight from a dark highstorm (like in Dalinar's vision).
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »
My books on lone so I can't look atm, but was there really some sort of black stormlightmentioned or is it an off the wall idea that someone has postulated?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
There was a black highstorm in one of Dalinar's visions.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Well, it's seems as though Surgebinding requires a fuel for it to work (Stormlight). As such, I would assume that Voidbinding also requires a fuel, and my guess is that the black sphere holds just that (I call it voidlight in my head, but there's probably a better name for it in the series). I'm also guessing that Gavilar acquired from the Parshendi either through theft or trade, but, really, any manner of acquiring is on the table.

As for how you infuse a sphere with voidlight, why it doesn't deplete like a stormlight-infused spheres, why certain people want it, etc. I have no idea.