Author Topic: Galivar: "The Parshendi? That makes no sense."  (Read 3501 times)

kain243

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Galivar: "The Parshendi? That makes no sense."
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
Why did galivar think that it makes no sense that the parshendi were trying to kill him?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Galivar: "The Parshendi? That makes no sense."
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
Why did galivar think that it makes no sense that the parshendi were trying to kill him?

Because they were currently there to make a peace treaty? At least that's what i got out of it. You dont, generally, try to assassinate the person you came to make a peace treaty with.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Gavilar was also personally fascinated by the Parshendi and had been studying them, so it's likely he understood something about them that most other people (including the reader) don't, which led him to make the comment.

I figured that the Parshendi were framed for Gavilar's murder, and their inability or unwillingness to communicate with humans has led to a war based on a lie (and to be certain, most of the Highprinces are fighting the war on the Plains to gain gemhearts, and because it's like a game to them by which they can scuffle for power and prestige without risk -they think- to their homelands).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:31:43 PM by Inkthinker »

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
Even knowing that the Parshendi had hired the assassin, he handed over the orb or whatever and said 'Don't let them get this'. I assume he is referring to someone else because he wouldn't have mentioned it at all if he were worried about the Parshendi.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Gavilar was also personally fascinated by the Parshendi and had been studying them, so it's likely he understood something about them that most other people (including the reader) don't, which led him to make the comment.

I figured that the Parshendi were framed for Gavilar's murder, and their inability or unwillingness to communicate with humans has led to a war based on a lie (and to be certain, most of the Highprinces are fighting the war on the Plains to gain gemhearts, and because it's like a game to them by which they can scuffle for power and prestige without risk -they think- to their homelands).
Szeth at least deemed the Parshendi to be his masters, and it's said that the parshendi claimed responsibility for the assassination.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

Szeth at least deemed the Parshendi to be his masters, and it's said that the parshendi claimed responsibility for the assassination.

My theory on this is that a certain group of parshendi carried it out (if it was, in truth, parshendi that did it). I, honestly, don't think the parshendi are united as a whole. The whole thing, to me, reeks of conspiracy, and I don't think the average parshendi wanted the war.

This comes with big ol' disclaimer of "This is what i think/feel"
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sdelu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »
Even knowing that the Parshendi had hired the assassin, he handed over the orb or whatever and said 'Don't let them get this'. I assume he is referring to someone else because he wouldn't have mentioned it at all if he were worried about the Parshendi.

I would assume that if not the Parshmen, then the people he didn't want to get the orb were the people he THOUGHT were killing him.  Off the top of my head I don't really remember them (Thaikandar or something? Sadeas was one as well, no? Also, doesn't it seem really, really odd that Gavilar names Sadeas as a potential murderer when Sadeas is the man who pretended to be Gavilar?).  Members of the Ghostblood or whatever they were, perhaps?

Not to mention that Gavilar doesn't seem to have any problem with Szeth flying around and running on walls.  He just says that he was expecting him.  Was he literally expecting Szeth, or just any old assassin?  I mean, I'd be pretty surprised if I walked out with Plate and Blade--one of the deadliest men on the planet--and some dude running around on walls killed me. Also, we know Taravangian had knowledge of him and his abilities, so maybe Gavilar did as well.

More interesting, could Gavilar have been a member of the Ghostbloods or a similar organization? That could explain why he has a wonky glowing black sphere thing that he doesn't want other people to get....

And no, like many things right now it makes no sense that he would give Szeth the black orb and say "Don't let them get this" if he meant the Parshendi... but perhaps there is an explanation that WOULD make sense.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
Also, doesn't it seem really, really odd that Gavilar names Sadeas as a potential murderer when Sadeas is the man who pretended to be Gavilar?). 

Well, the King could have come to the conclusion merely because Sadeas was the one that suggested that he pretend to be the king, running away with the guards, leaving Gavilar to face the assassin alone. Pretty convenient.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

mehul

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
Well, the King could have come to the conclusion merely because Sadeas was the one that suggested that he pretend to be the king, running away with the guards, leaving Gavilar to face the assassin alone. Pretty convenient.

Yeah but I thought they were friends. Why would he assume Sadeas over some other Highprince and the other thing I didn't get is why he would entrust the black element to the Szeth. Did he know something about the Shin culture? If he did that would seem strange since he didn't seem to be knowledgeable  of different cultures until after he meet the Parshendi and then it seemed like he was focusing on learning only about Parshendi.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
It's also possible that Gavilar was no longer himself when he gave the stone to Szeth, nor when he made his last request.  He may have still known who he was, but whatever vision or knowledge people in this world seem to receive right before death made him know to give Szeth that stone, and make sure Dalinar got his message.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:24:08 AM »
It's also possible that Gavilar was no longer himself when he gave the stone to Szeth, nor when he made his last request.  He may have still known who he was, but whatever vision or knowledge people in this world seem to receive right before death made him know to give Szeth that stone, and make sure Dalinar got his message.
That makes entirely too much sense.  People saying things in their final moments guided by extra knowledge granted by deathspren (or whatever) fits with all the warnings about the Everstorm and the True Desolation, and knowing about that phenomenon would explain why dying requests are sacred to the Shin.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 05:19:39 AM »
But he was expecting an assassination before that, hence getting ready with Sadeus.  I don't think they had enough to get ready  from scratchafter the first alarm was raised,  I think they had plans laid already as a contingency.  He thought someone else was trying to kill him for the sphere, and was surprised when the parshendi did it (if they did).

I think the ghostbloods area good guess.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

AzWingsFan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Sadly My wife and I are in the moving process and we havent been able to afford TWOK. Although I have been reading the courtesy chapters on TOR, and just finished the Prologue... Szeth did see himself as a subordinate to the Parshendi. It seemed that Galivar knew an assassination attempt would be made on him that night, but he had no idea it would be from the Parshendi.. It doesnt make too much sense because its just the prologue of an epic series, and we all have to RAFO to see why they put a hit on him..

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
But he was expecting an assassination before that, hence getting ready with Sadeus.  I don't think they had enough to get ready  from scratchafter the first alarm was raised,  I think they had plans laid already as a contingency.  He thought someone else was trying to kill him for the sphere, and was surprised when the parshendi did it (if they did).

I think the ghostbloods area good guess.

Being king of a very volatile, young nation with independent amoral subordinates mean having plans in case of an assassination attempt, period.  Don't forget that, per the Parshendi's orders, they had a lot of warning (relatively speaking) that Szeth was coming.
Nature hates being reified.