Author Topic: WoK: Spren and Hoid (spoilers)  (Read 17465 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WoK: Spren and Hoid (spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »
Hmm... Someone should collect all the death-quotes from the entire book, and put them in one place (both the "Collected on's" and the ones from random  people dieing.)

That would probably help with our theorizing.

Anyhow, interesting correlation between the wavy-headed spren and the amount of death. But I don't think they are death-spren, consider how Jasnah was able to soulcast with a fake soulcaster well before she went to study in the palanaeum.

However, I strongly believe that they have something to do with death, and truth. Consider: The only person we know much of who has attracted one of these spren is Shallan (we don't know much about Jasnah, unfortunately). These spren take you to Shadesmar (which is likely the cognitive realm. It could also be the spiritual realm though, unless Brandon said otherwise).

Now, what do we know of Shallan that would make attract these spren to her?

These creatures take you to the cognitive realm. Shallan and Jasnah are both scholars.

I think something about the way these two women think and conceptualize the world draws these creatures, especially Shallan's perfect memory.

Maybe they are attracted to the honest search for truth?  Something like Truthspren.

Note that this doesn't mean that you don't lie.  Just that at some deep level you want the truth.  Or something like that.
Nature hates being reified.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
An ultimate quest for truth, that makes sense as Jasnah is a Verisatalian or whatever, and her primary goal in life is to uncover the truth, and Shallan does it only after being an apprentice Verisatalian

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
I was confused to how he knew Odium (I assume that was Odium) at the end of the book.

I'm not sure if someone already answered this, but I don't think the person at the end with a Shardblade was Odium..  Since he died (the shardblade remained as he let it go), and he is supposed to be the primary antagonist on Roshar.  I also don't think it was Odium, because the man said he was "Talaenel'Elin, Stonesinew, Herald of the Almighty".  If you look at the beginning of the book, you'll see that Taln (possibly short for Talaenel'Elin, as Rosharians often shorten names) is the last Radiant remaining, the one that the others appear to abandon.

Hoid probably knows who Odium is, because he appears to be quite omnipresent.  Throughout Sanderson's other books, Hoid seems to be extremely well informed about anything.  There are many threads on this forum as to the speculation on who/what Hoid actually is, so I won't go into all the possibilities.

Hope this helps a bit :D
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
Assuming he's speaking the truth, which I think is a pretty safe bet, that is Talenel'Elin, the only one of the Heralds who did not abandon the Oathpact as shown in the prelude, and that sword is a Dawnshard rather than a Shardblade. Following Kalak's mental remarks from the prelude, if Talenel had died his blade would have vanished, unlike a normal Shardblade. Thus, he is alive. Also, he's the only reasonable candidate for the "major viewpoint character who first appeared in the epilogue" that Brandon mentioned in an interview he linked to in his blog recently.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »
Pretty sure when the Prelude was first released on Tor's site, someone commented on the Talenel/Taln typo to which Peter confirmed to be a knickname.