Author Topic: *Spoilers* Two Quick Ideas: Way of Kings and Elantris!  (Read 3675 times)

HoidianSlip

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
*Spoilers* Two Quick Ideas: Way of Kings and Elantris!
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Hello first post here just wanted to put some thoughts out there

Odium Briefly visited sel. A giant chasm appeared on sel breaking the dor. pretty disastrous. Odiums home world has whole plains full of chasms. does WoK ever mention how the plains became shattered? Also in Elantris Raoden recalls the reod thusly: "it had come with a tempest-that much even Raoden remembered. The earth itself had shattered, an enormous chasm appearing in the south, all of Arelon quaking." could be a bit of a stretch but could that be a highstorm on sel?

Secondly when Dalinar hears/remembers the voice of the Almighty telling him to "unite them"  he always assumes this means the highprinces. I got the distinct feeling that he should be uniting something more. possibly the parshendi with the alethi, or maybe parshendi and parshmen. I do not think parshendi are voidbringers, there are many humanizing moments for them like when we find out half of them are probably women. also i dont think dalinar would feel guilty for killing voidbringers. but who even knows what voidbringers means...      brandon sandersons 5 signed hardcovers just arrived at my house as im typing this wooooooooo
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:59:20 PM by Brenna »

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: Two Quick Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
Please add a spoiler warning to your subject line.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Quick Ideas Spoiler way of kings elantris!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
I asked Brandon if odium's visit caused the chasem, and he said not directly, no.  I don't remember much else of the conversation since it was a while ago, but I do remember that one.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »
Secondly when Dalinar hears/remembers the voice of the Almighty telling him to "unite them"  he always assumes this means the highprinces. I got the distinct feeling that he should be uniting something more. possibly the parshendi with the alethi, or maybe parshendi and parshmen.

Yeah, just rename them Skeksis and Mystics.

Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

HoidianSlip

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
my thought was more that odiums presence causes the highstorms and they in turn cause chasms which could fit that "not directly" answer. someone else was just saying that odiums presence causes war and war is much more prevalent in the east than in the west much like highstorms. basically odium is somehow linked to highstorms !! shocker

and i looked up those names you said and i watched a trailer for the dark crystal.... i better not picture all rosharians as awkward muppets from now on

and sorry i forgot to put spoilers in the subject.. pretty major oversight... if i ruined anything for anyone im sorry, i havent seen inception yet you can ruin that for me if you want

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
Secondly when Dalinar hears/remembers the voice of the Almighty telling him to "unite them"  he always assumes this means the highprinces. I got the distinct feeling that he should be uniting something more. possibly the parshendi with the alethi, or maybe parshendi and parshmen.

Yeah, just rename them Skeksis and Mystics.

You know, I had never considered that as an idea, but I completely agree with you there!  Also, +3 awesome points for the reference.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

FollowYourMuse

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* Two Quick Ideas: Way of Kings and Elantris!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 02:14:06 AM »
I Think the  "unite them"  refers to the shardbearers and surgebinders .. to recreate the Knights Radiant.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:06 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear by the end that "Unite them" meant mankind. All of Roshar.

I could be wrong though.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:50 AM »
I'm with omelet du fromage over there.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
I thought "unite them" meant chells and axehounds.

/snarktheory.

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear by the end that "Unite them" meant mankind. All of Roshar.

I could be wrong though.

Yep, this was my impression, but I don't think Dalinar got it yet.
However, this may exclude the parshendi/parshmen if they are voidbringers/minions of odium.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
Yep, this was my impression, but I don't think Dalinar got it yet.
However, this may exclude the parshendi/parshmen if they are voidbringers/minions of odium.

Perhaps love and acceptance are the keys to defeating them.

;)