Author Topic: WoK Part 2 Epigraphs *Major Spoilers*  (Read 2732 times)

Aranfan

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
WoK Part 2 Epigraphs *Major Spoilers*
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
Is anyone else worried about Saze?  I can't imagine that Rayse would react well to Ruin and Preservation being held by the same person.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: WoK Part 2 Epigraphs *Major Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »
Is anyone else worried about Saze?  I can't imagine that Rayse would react well to Ruin and Preservation being held by the same person.

Good point. I'm worried, too. If Odium went to Scadrial now to destroy Sazed, he could probably win, because Sazed doesn't have enough experience with the power.

On the other hand, who knows what would have happened if the Shards held by Aona and Skai were held by the same person, like Sazed with Ruin and Preservation? Odium may be able to kill Shardholders individually, but perhaps Sazed would have some distinct advantages for holding two Shards. Then again, holding two Shards may be more susceptible to Splintering, for all we know.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

jrh1524

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »
Why don't the other shards try and get Sazed, then gang up on Odium to take him out? 

Also, maybe Odium is holding is holding more than one shard as well.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »

Good point. I'm worried, too. If Odium went to Scadrial now to destroy Sazed, he could probably win, because Sazed doesn't have enough experience with the power.

On the other hand, who knows what would have happened if the Shards held by Aona and Skai were held by the same person, like Sazed with Ruin and Preservation? Odium may be able to kill Shardholders individually, but perhaps Sazed would have some distinct advantages for holding two Shards. Then again, holding two Shards may be more susceptible to Splintering, for all we know.

Does Odium even know about Scadriel?  I haven't seen any indication that Odium has gone anywhere near the place.  Let's hope this is true.  That world had enough trouble with its own, natural gods and their problems.  It doesn't need that spanner thrown in the works.

If I were writing these stories, I would make Sazed strong enough to keep Odium away, due to having two complementary shards, but not well suited to taking him out all by himself.  That would keep the stories somewhat separate in a completely natural way.
Nature hates being reified.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:57 AM »
I have a mad conjecture that Odium visited Scadriel during Hero of Ages. Remember when Vin was jumping around Yomin's city, gathering information from various sources? She landed near a possible source, but her instincts told her to flee, so she did without question. Now, it's possible that Brandon was just using this to reinforce Vin's character. But, as a Mistborn, there are very few things in that city that could threaten her, and I think she'd been a Mistborn for long enough at that point for her instincts to have adapted to her power. She could feel that something dangerous was in that alley.

What would Odium have seen? Leras dead, Preservation's power broken, Ruin's power bound, all on a world mere weeks from destruction. He'd not have needed to help it along—indeed, why bother?

Now, if indeed he ever does learn of Sazed's ascension, there may be trouble, but I wouldn't count the Terrisman out. He's got two complimentary Shards where Rayse has one, and he's frickin' Sazed.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
The thing that REALLY complicates that scene in HoA is that the informant she's going to see is frickin Hoid.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:08:45 AM »
The thing that REALLY complicates that scene in HoA is that the informant she's going to see is frickin Hoid.
Remember that Vin was spiked at the time, so Ruin probably didn't want her talking to him.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
Was it? I forget. It has been a year since I read that book, after all.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:37:21 AM »
Well, his name isn't mentioned, but what Vin sees is consistent with Kelsier's description of him.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:52:20 AM »
Oh, his name's in there.  HoA Paperback Pg.231 second to last paragraph.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:37 AM »
Remember that Vin was spiked at the time, so Ruin probably didn't want her talking to him.
I never thought of it like that!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:06:40 AM »
I actually saw someone else post that, so I can't take the credit.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
I actually saw someone else post that, so I can't take the credit.
I think "Ruin's influence" is the current standard theory.  It works all by itself, although I'm not completely certain why Ruin would want Vin not talking with Hoid.  Although Hoid does have a way of being in the right place at the right time, and knowing the right thing to say, so maybe it makes sense after all.
Nature hates being reified.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
I think "Ruin's influence" is the current standard theory.  It works all by itself, although I'm not completely certain why Ruin would want Vin not talking with Hoid.  Although Hoid does have a way of being in the right place at the right time, and knowing the right thing to say, so maybe it makes sense after all.
It doesn't even have to be anything in particular that Ruin was worried about. Things were going well, and he didn't want something unexpected to enter the equation.