Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

WoK: Kaladin and Syl *Spoilers*

(1/17) > >>

jrh1524:
It seems like every time Kaladin does something honorable or heroic, Syl grows in power and/or gains memory.  Do you agree with that?  What is Syl becoming, what is her ultimate form?  Will she top out in power eventually or will she keep going?

Also, do you think there is any chemistry between the two?  Kaladin keeps commenting in his head that Syl is "pretty".  Do you think he'll get the sweets for her or Syl for him?  Will they even be able to get "romantic"?

VegasDev:
I imagine it would go down a little something like this

happyman:

--- Quote from: jrh1524 on September 07, 2010, 08:41:34 PM ---It seems like every time Kaladin does something honorable or heroic, Syl grows in power and/or gains memory.  Do you agree with that?  What is Syl becoming, what is her ultimate form?  Will she top out in power eventually or will she keep going?

Also, do you think there is any chemistry between the two?  Kaladin keeps commenting in his head that Syl is "pretty".  Do you think he'll get the sweets for her or Syl for him?  Will they even be able to get "romantic"?

--- End quote ---

Syl definitely responds to Kaladin being honorable.  I suppose that's why she's an honorspren:  She shows up naturally around honor the way painspren show up around pain or firespren around fire.  That bit of logic made sense.

My guess is that it is a two-way process:  She feeds Kaladin's sense of honor, and his honor feeds her.

My guess is that Kaladin's raw power has maxed out now that Kaladin has taken the oath of the knights radiant.  It seems like a good mortal (i.e. Elantrian or Returned or powerful Mistborn) level, and will take a lot of practice to master.  Also, it seems to me that it is the same level as Szeth has hit, and Szeth never said anything about increasing in power over time, nor have we seen such shown onscreen.

As for romance---I doubt it.  She's not human, after all.  In some sense, she's a metaphysical representation of Kaladin himself.

Aranfan:
Personally I'm wondering where Szeth's honorspren is.  Syl really doesn't like leaving Kal, so why is Szeth missing his companion?

ryos:
My theory is that it's related to what I've come to call Geranid's Certainty Principle. Namely, that measuring an attribute of a spren (and recording that measurement) fixes said attribute for as long as the record stands. Kaladin serves as caliper and record for Syl. Remember when she left him, and almost lost herself? Somehow, he is measuring her, and she evolves along with his "record" of her attributes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version