Author Topic: WoK: Top 5 Villians That Really Really Need to Die (*Spoilers*)  (Read 18527 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: WoK: Top 5 Villians That Really Really Need to Die (*Spoilers*)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:21 AM »
I'm also not sure I'd classify Szeth as an irredeemable villain... he's a weapon, and I'm not entirely certain as to the extent of his free will. We don't know yet why he's bound to the oathstone or what that actually means, beyond the fact that he must obey whomever holds the stone (with certain caveats).

Taravingian was the shocker for me, partly because in my head I saw him as this sweet old man (I pictured him looking a bit like the old king from The Princess Bride, though I'm not sure if that melds with the proper description).

Sadeas's betrayal was terrible, but not exactly unexpected.

I look forward to the day when both get their comeuppance.

sdelu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
Taravangian is an interesting fellow.

I'm really not sure if he is a "bad guy" or not, in the sense of him being part of the "voidbringer cause."

I can understand what he is doing, and I can even see the sense in it, even if it is something horrible.  But collecting those pre-death statements very well COULD be a clue to help in their survival.  If that is the case, then he's a monster, yes, but a monster who helped save the world...

However, I can't help but wonder why he believes that uniting the Highprinces is something that they wouldn't want...

The problem with all of the villains presented in this book is that they're not utterly, no-doubt-about it bad. I like that. I'd prefer to almost agree with a villain than hate him outright.  It makes for more tension.

I'll wait a few more books before I make my determination of who is truly evil and who is just a jerk.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »
However, I can't help but wonder why he believes that uniting the Highprinces is something that they wouldn't want...
I can think of four possibilities.

First is that he's being controlled by Odium without realizing it. He thinks he's saving the world, but he's actually just making it much, much worse. Like Rashek!

Second, there's about Odium or the Voidbringers that makes them especially dangerous to a unified nation. I don't know what this could be, but I'm sure there's something that could do that. And Taravangian could have learned about that vulnerability through the prophecies he's learned.

The third theory is related to the second. Taravangian is misinterpreting something he's hearing in the deathwords, and therefore thinks that he needs to keep everything divided.

Fourth is the most likely, in my opinion. His words to Szeth are telling: "Sometimes, you must tear down a structure to build a new one with stronger walls". He's planning to force a collapse, then rebuild a nation that can survive what's coming.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 05:08:19 AM »

But but but I don't want Szeth to die. D:  T-T

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:08 AM »
What if he died at the very end of the series?  Would you be okay with that?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Oh, Szeth is awesome. Are you excited as I am that he'll be getting his own book? It's true :D

The Taravangian reveal was emotional, but it didn't match my horror when Sadeas betrayed Dalinar. That was just... God. I can't put words into that one.
Please can you get that interview posted....

Soon! The weekend! Maybe!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
Fourth is the most likely, in my opinion. His words to Szeth are telling: "Sometimes, you must tear down a structure to build a new one with stronger walls". He's planning to force a collapse, then rebuild a nation that can survive what's coming.
Yeah, I think his plan is to cause everything to fall apart so that he can build a strong nation in everything's place, assumaby with himself as king.

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »
The only one on that list I really hated was Roshone.  The other villains (besides Szeth if he even is one) at least thought they were doing the right thing for the greater good.  Roshone was just a bastard.

Tangletalon

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 04:04:23 AM »
The only thing Szeth has left is his religion. Are you asking for him to betray the only thing he has left? And besides, how do you know that Szeth is only obeying religion?

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
You know how it says, somewhere, that one of the three viewpoint characters would ruin the world?  (I don't remember where, but that means that either Dalinar, Shallan, or Kaladin are going to do something really stupid.)  My bet is on Kaladin.  He just seems too easily embittered, and while he did a ton of good in this first book, I can easily see him turning into a much shadier guy as we get deeper into the series.

I mean, once he gets his powers developed, he'll be just as unstoppable as Szeth--but without any random oaths to anybody else.  I can see him going Loose Cannon on Roshar brightlords sometime in the future. 

Dalinar or Adolin might never kill Sadeas, but Kaladin?  Oh, boy.

Guinevere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Oh, my goodness!  I nearly threw my book in anger when Sadeas abandoned Dalinar.  My husband was in the next room and thought I was going nuts.  I just kept yelling, "Oh, I hate that Sadeas!  He's so stupid! I'm going to kill him!!"  haha.
And now that stupid jerk has a Shardblade.  Great.

Also, I'm with everyone else.  I don't think Szeth is a villain.  Yeah, he kills people, but I have a feeling magic is involved somehow.  I think after the whole epic Szeth vs. Kaladin rivalry plot unfolds, he'll become one of the good ones.  Maybe he'll send Kaladin after Taravangian, get his Oathstone back, and then they'll be the beginning of the new Windrunner order. That's just my prediction though.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
You know how it says, somewhere, that one of the three viewpoint characters would ruin the world?  (I don't remember where, but that means that either Dalinar, Shallan, or Kaladin are going to do something really stupid.)
It's in the text on the back of the book, and it says "one of the four will destroy us", the four being Dalinar, Shallan, Kaladin and Szeth, it doesn't say who the "us" are, it doesn't necessarrily mean destroy the world.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Oh, my goodness!  I nearly threw my book in anger when Sadeas abandoned Dalinar.  My husband was in the next room and thought I was going nuts.  I just kept yelling, "Oh, I hate that Sadeas!  He's so stupid! I'm going to kill him!!"  haha.
And now that stupid jerk has a Shardblade.  Great.
I really would like to have your Husband and (yourself of course) over for tea one day, ROFL.  ;D
As for Sadeas being killed...
Call me twisted, but I would enjoy reading more of him, especially now that he has betrayed Dalinar.
If he is now forced to work together with him, mabe even to the extend where this cooperation plays a major part in the saving of the world... *Kykeon favours the room with one of his more sardonic smiles*

Celegus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
You know how it says, somewhere, that one of the three viewpoint characters would ruin the world?  (I don't remember where, but that means that either Dalinar, Shallan, or Kaladin are going to do something really stupid.)
It's in the text on the back of the book, and it says "one of the four will destroy us", the four being Dalinar, Shallan, Kaladin and Szeth, it doesn't say who the "us" are, it doesn't necessarrily mean destroy the world.
I've been trying to figure that one out as well. Honestly, even after reading the book, I could see it taken ways where any of the four could either "save" or "destroy" us.

I was hoping to see Amaran show up at some point. It said he was coming to the Shattered Plains, right? Really looking forward to see how that little reunion pans out.

brycex99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
I have a feeling that Amaram really isn't going to be the guy we all want to hate. It seemed like he genuinely regretted his decisions, and he probably legitimately believed he had a responsibility to do what he did.  I'm definitely curious to see what Brandon does with his character, because there is a lot of potential with that guy beyond "scumbag who deserves to die".