Author Topic: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books  (Read 9845 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
I'd guess that Teft is going to be very important, no matter what happens.

So much so, I've almost wondered if he was going to be a main character somewhere along the line.  His backstory seems to have been fairly well developed.
Nature hates being reified.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 01:45:18 AM »
I  don't know if he'll be a main character, but I'm definitely looking for some expanded viewpoints and a bit of info on his backstory.

Also Sigzil, cause he used to hang out with Hoid, I wanna know more about what they were doing together.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
I read an interview in which Brandon said that one of the POV characters would be an engineer-type researcher, so I am quite sure Navani will be a POV character and probably get a book - she could also give great insight into Gavilar's actions from another viewpoint.  Since Gavilar's secrets are sort of at the center of the mystery, it would be very interesting story-wise to get her viewpoint, too. Plus, needs more women than just Jasnah and Shallan.

On the other hand, I don't think Elhokar will get a book, or even viewpoints. He is just too one-dimensional of a character for me - definitely not the most elaborate character in the book by far. That indicates to me that he will be more plot-device than viewpoint character in the future - I vote him most likely to turn to the dark side, whatever that might mean on Roshar. Also, Jasnah can give all the input on Gavilar from a perspective of his child, and we know she will be a viewpoint, so Elhokar's history is not likely to be all that interesting.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
On the other hand, I don't think Elhokar will get a book, or even viewpoints. He is just too one-dimensional of a character for me - definitely not the most elaborate character in the book by far. That indicates to me that he will be more plot-device than viewpoint character in the future - I vote him most likely to turn to the dark side, whatever that might mean on Roshar. Also, Jasnah can give all the input on Gavilar from a perspective of his child, and we know she will be a viewpoint, so Elhokar's history is not likely to be all that interesting.

Maybe, maybe not.  Elhokar isn't a very deep character right now, it's true.  But he struck me mostly as the wealthy, spoiled younger brother who's never had to make any important decisions because others have always done it for him.  A very shallow character, but not unrealistic.  With the amount of trouble that's going to come in the future, he will be put through an enormous amount of stress.  He might break, he might grow a backbone, but I doubt he will be left as shallow as he seems to be now.
Nature hates being reified.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
Given how shallow Elhokar is at the moment there's probably enormous potential for growth, too, which could make him a great viewpoint character later on. Given that we've already been introduced to all the relevant players in WoK, that Elhokar could work out as one of the 9/10 viewpoint characters (Kaladin might get two books) seems relatively likely.