Author Topic: Interesting Line by Hoid in tWoK  (Read 6267 times)

Elusive Fehler

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Near Empyrean
Interesting Line by Hoid in tWoK
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
"I wonder if you could do that to a man.  Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk.  Then combine them beck together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian.  If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me.  Or perhaps Gibletish."

-Hoid to Dalinar, The Way of Kings - Chapter 54

Hoid says this line seconds after:

"I know," Wit said, the looked directly at him.  "Adonalsium."

-Hoid to Dalinar, The Way of Kings - Chapter 54

Is the top quote Hoid speculating on what happened to Adonalsium?  Is her wondering aloud if he will ever be able to reassemble him/it?
"Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers," — The Path of Daggers

NearEmpyrean.com

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Line by Hoid in tWoK
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
Perhaps.

Personally, I got the impression that he was just trying to figure out if Dalinar knew anything about it. He'd probably heard about his visions, and was wondering if Dalinar fully understood what was going on.

But your theory is also a possibility.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
Actually, this speculation is what I was wondering as well.  Oh, I'm sure Hoid dropped the name Adonalsium in order to find out what Dalinar knew, but his speculations on pulling people apart and putting them together---that probably is related to his larger quest and purpose.
Nature hates being reified.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:46 AM »
I totally read this as Hoid musing almost to himself on Adonalsium. I'll have to go over it again when I get my copy back. :)

Tangletalon

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
And you've got it backwards. He mentions Adonalsium, Dalinar  questions him, and Wit responds that the word was "Nonsense. Baldertdash. Figgldygrak." Then he goes on to his person named Gibberish.

jrh1524

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »
I'm on to something!  What if Hoid is Adonalsium?!   Hoid lost his powers some how a long time ago, and is going around to the different worlds trying to help people while at the same time get his powers back.  He has some huge and complicated plan he is working on.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
I'm on to something!  What if Hoid is Adonalsium?!   Hoid lost his powers some how a long time ago, and is going around to the different worlds trying to help people while at the same time get his powers back.  He has some huge and complicated plan he is working on.

Perhaps Hoid is secretly Bela!

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »

Perhaps Hoid is secretly Bela!

Don't forget, Bela is the Creator.

Tangletalon

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »
Bela?

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »
Bela?
It's a running joke from some Wheel of Time forums, that Bela the horse is the Creator of the world.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
Bela?
It's a running joke from some Wheel of Time forums, that Bela the horse is the Creator of the world.
And Narg is Shai'tan?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »
It's also part of the joke that one or the other of Bela and Narg, maybe both, killed Asmodean.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 05:15:16 AM »
And you've got it backwards. He mentions Adonalsium, Dalinar  questions him, and Wit responds that the word was "Nonsense. Baldertdash. Figgldygrak." Then he goes on to his person named Gibberish.

Yes, I remember that. As if he was dealing with an interruption by dismissing it and then going back to his train of thought. :P

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
It's also part of the joke that one or the other of Bela and Narg, maybe both, killed Asmodean.
Oh, it's been confirmed. Narg killed Asmodean. Brandon said so in his blog so it must be real.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
and back to the original point, I have always taken it for granted that hoid was trying to reform adonalsium, however the frankenstein man explains how he was going to do it, if he takes all the shards and gives them to one person, eventually the shards will each imbue the part of adonalsium that they hold onto the new bearer, like with ruin and preservation, so eventually the new bearer will have all of adonalsiums attributes, so he wil essentially be the same person