Author Topic: Gaz [Way of Kings Spoilers]  (Read 2471 times)

luminos

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Gaz [Way of Kings Spoilers]
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:33:19 AM »
So, I finished the book, I can't figure out what happened to Gaz.  Seems like he disappeared sometime after the side-carry snafu, and never showed up again.  Did I miss something?  Are there any hints as to what his ultimate fate was?  And why did he have to pay Lamaril all of that money?

I'll likely do a second reading before long, and look for those answers then, but if anyone knows, I'd be happy if you told me.  Also, if anyone on these forums is going to one of his signings, would you mind asking Brandon Sanderson about this?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Gaz [Way of Kings Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:41:13 AM »
I'm not really sure.  There's really two ways to take this.  1) These points will become important later. (expect a RAFO from Brandon if this is true) or 2) Gaz's fate isn't important, he was killed off for incompetence or simply ran off fearing such a thing, his debt was probably either Lamaril bullying him for "protection" or something or maybe it was a gambling debt of some sort?  Knowing somewhat of Brandon's habits when it comes to foreshadowing, my expectation is the first option.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
There are other characters that get ignored. Tklakv (or however you spell it) got some interesting character development then vanished.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if these guys show up again later on.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
People in the book ask what happened to Gaz a couple of times after he disappeared, so it's supposed to be something that sticks out.

Tvlakv didn't stay at the warcamps after he sold his slaves. In a series like this, I expect a lot of people will show up again later.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
I suspect that Gaz became a bridgeman in another crew.   I think it would have been very interesting/neat if he had been thrown into kaladin's bridge crew. 
Perhaps Brandon is saving a later encounter between Gaz and Kaladin for a later book... or maybe not.