Author Topic: tWoK Oathbreaker (Spoilers)  (Read 2116 times)

gpanda44

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
tWoK Oathbreaker (Spoilers)
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »
So I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't see anyone else talking about it. 
Dalinar's Shardblade that he gave away seems to be the same one as the Dawnblade (correct terminology?) Jezriel holds in the very beginning of the book.  Meaning that Sadeas now has a Dawnblade?

Is this the accepted theory?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: tWoK Oathbreaker (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:56 AM »
I missed this (and I kinda would like to know more, 'cause I'm particularly personally fond of Dalinar's Shardblade).

gpanda44

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:29:39 AM »
Well, I noticed this because the descriptions of how the blade forms out of mist is the same in the beginning and throughout when Dalinar summons it.  Also, the name is Oathbreaker, which would be a pretty hefty coincidence if it weren't Jezriel's blade

gpanda44

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:30:07 AM »
oops sorry.... Jezrien is his name

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:26:45 AM »
The sword's name is actually Oathbringer.

Well, the condensation thing is consistent all of the Shard and Dawnblades.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

gpanda44

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:23 AM »
Oops.  I should've fact checked before jumping to conclusions....

My apologies.  Is that still a viable theory though?  I thought that may have been why Syl didn't like the blade.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »
I get the sense that there's something about shardblades in general that Syl doesn't like.

The blades that the Radiants used were different, somehow, according to Dalinar's visions. So maybe the current blades are corrupted somehow.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »
The blades used in WoK are the blades the Radiants used, your theory is still valid, they could be corrupt.  That might be why they don't glow like they did.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »
The blades used in WoK are the blades the Radiants used, your theory is still valid, they could be corrupt.  That might be why they don't glow like they did.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The same blades, but wrong somehow.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
I really don't think that Dalinor's blade was a dawnshard.

One thing I am wondering about though is what has happened to the shardblades, firstly regarding quantity, the Radiants apparently had way more of them than are around in the world today and secondly regarding their condition, if they're cursed or something.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
From what little I know, all Shardblades share the following characteristics:

-They're usually (not always) very large.

-They can be a variety of shapes (I originally threw some really odd ones at Brandon, but he roped me in a bit and kept me from anything that was too scythe-like or had too many points on it, but there's a LOT of variation). It's not as nutty as something like Tite Kubo's "zanpakuto", but the concept that every one is unique might be considered analagous.

-They don't weigh much and are easy to swing around.

-They don't cut anything that lives, but they do sever all the nerve endings (not blood vessels though, interestingly enough) that the blade passes through. If they cut you through the neck or the head or the heart, you die instantly and your eyes smoulder and smoke out of your skull. Not sure if you could take a stab to the lungs (possibly, if it only kills one lung).

-They're able to cut through anything that is not alive, such as rock or furniture, with very little resistance. I don't recall that Brandon ever directly addresses the effect on clothing or armor being worn by someone who's cut, but I imagine that logically it severs that kinda stuff around the body, which could be hilarious if it didn't also kill and maim people.

-They can be summoned from nothingness, but it takes ten heartbeats to appear. This is not poetic description, the summoning is based on your heartrate, so faster heartbeats draw faster.  They can also be dismissed almost instantly, disappearing into nothingness as well. They mist and smoke as they transfer either way, and when they first appear they quickly acquire condensation on the blade (suggesting that they are very cold, at least at first).

-Anyone who picks up the Shardblade instantly knows how to command its functions. If you die, your blade appears out of nothingness and drops to the ground. If you want, you may opt to discard it rather than dismiss it.

I think that's covers it... I don't know much about them that can't be read in the book. They're a fun magical weapon to imagine in action, and the design mandates allow for almost any shape and size Shardblade you care to imagine. Oathbringer is specifically described, but many others are not, and so any number of plausible designs are valid.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:01:56 PM by Inkthinker »