Author Topic: Quality of Wok book  (Read 3521 times)

Hobbun

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Quality of Wok book
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »
For those of you who have picked it up your WoK book, what have you all found the quality like?

The reason I ask is I went to Borders today, just to take a look at the book, to see how 'big' it is (and it's huge  :) ). The inside pictures were great and loved the cover. But what bothered me was the 'waviness' of the pages. Not sure if that makes sense, but if you were to look at the book from the top down, looking at all of the pages, you will see waves in them, instead of it being straight (like it's supposed to).

What an employee said at Borders was it was due to the book was so thick, that can sometimes happen. But I am hoping it was more due to the shipment the store received as I want my pages straight.  :)  Sorry, but I am picky on my hardcovers, especially one I am going to have signed by the author.   

I am hoping the book I get at the signing next week will actually have straight pages, and not the 'waves'.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Quality of Wok book
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
Brandon said that they went with a fancier and more expensive printing process for this book, so I assume that its durability is above average. I don't have one yet, so I can't tell you for sure what the deal is. Maybe the books were not tightly packed and faced spine down, letting gravity mess with the pages a little?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:25 AM »
Mine was straight, so it's probably just the shipment. Were there more than one book that were like that? Where do you live/How humid is it there? Vegas is a desert so....
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
Brandon said that they went with a fancier and more expensive printing process for this book, so I assume that its durability is above average. I don't have one yet, so I can't tell you for sure what the deal is. Maybe the books were not tightly packed and faced spine down, letting gravity mess with the pages a little?

It's possible. But I agree, the printing, along with the pictures, is much higher quality. And truly appreciate that!

Mine was straight, so it's probably just the shipment. Were there more than one book that were like that? Where do you live/How humid is it there? Vegas is a desert so....

That's what I was thinking, as well. It looks like an issue I've seen other books before (with my friends books) do that due to too much humidity, as well. But being Borders, it's an air conditioned store, so not sure about that. Although yes, there were other hardcover books did have the waviness as well, they just were not as pronounced.

I live in Illinois, so yes, pretty humid here. I hope that doesn't mean all the books (no matter what store I go to) will be that way.

However, I am glad to hear yours came out straight. I am hoping the other Borders store I go to for the signing will have the straight pages.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:04:05 AM by Hobbun »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
I've only seen straight ones. Good luck.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:34 AM »
Mine has wavy pages. It's from the ones from Sam Weller's.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
If I don’t have a choice, and the Borders store I go to for the signing only has the wavy pages, maybe I can straighten out the pages by putting the book between heavy books and basically compressing it.

Thanks for everyone’s posts.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:31:42 AM »
If I don’t have a choice, and the Borders store I go to for the signing only has the wavy pages, maybe I can straighten out the pages by putting the book between heavy books and basically compressing it.

Thanks for everyone’s posts.

So you're going to make a WoK sandwich and hope the middle one gets flat?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Tosh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:24 AM »
I got mines from Amazon and it came out perfect, as fresh as a daisy.

It's so pretty that I almost didn't want to touch it.
I wish more books were as high a quality as this one.

Hearttlight

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
Mine's beautiful. I like cuddling it.  :-* Every now and then, people have to slap me, 'cause I'm just hypnotically staring it the beautiful book.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »
Mine came out too fresh.  Some of the pages in the last part were still conjoined at the top.  I had to cut them with scissorts, which made me sad.  A similar thing happened to one of my mistborns, only with less pages and they were only joined by a small outcropping of paper in the corner.  It's wierd because I got mistborn on amazon and WoK at bookstore...

No waviness though.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »

So you're going to make a WoK sandwich and hope the middle one gets flat?

Basically, yes. I mean I'm not going to get 3 WoK books if that's what you meant, but put enough weight on the book to flatten the pages out. I've done it before and it worked, in the situation I mentioned in an earlier post.

But, I am hoping the pages will already be straight and won't have to worry about it.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
I had the same experience as Coma did, with the conjoined pages at the end. These pages that are still joined together are slightly smaller than the others, too. Which might be why they're still joined, come to think of it.....But in any case, I had to manually separate them. I might have just returned it to the bookstore and had them give me a new copy, if not for the fact that it was the release party, there were five hundred people there, and I was standing in line to get it signed. So I went with it.

Other than that minor issue, it's the most beautiful book I've ever seen. When my little sister saw it, she said, "If I've ever seen a book that could be described as sexy, that's it."
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

AndrewMM

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 04:44:38 AM »
Well, mine was perfect as well. I got a bit carried away as I bought the book, the audio cd's and the ebook for my nook. I love his writing and I can't wait for the next book to come out!! What a great start to an epic series. I assume something just happened with the ones where you saw them.
Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
Happy to say the book I picked up at the signing this evening was just fine. Pages were straight, no hint of any waviness.