Author Topic: WOK Audiobook/Illustrations (NO SPOILERS)  (Read 3431 times)

kain243

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
WOK Audiobook/Illustrations (NO SPOILERS)
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
Hi, so I got the WOK audiobook but I realize that there will be no illustrations in it.
Is there a place to see the illustrations outside the audiobook and how do I know when I should/should not look at them to not get spoiled by something I haven't read yet? 

No spoilers in this thread please.  Thanks.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: WOK Audiobook/Illustrations (NO SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
Maybe they will be explained to you, a picture is worth a thousand words.

"So there's this guy sitting on top of a crab looking thing and some tiny sketches and notes about drilling into the shell of the crablike creature. You know, I guess it was pretty presumptuous of me to assume it was a guy. I guess in this world girls could look like guys, whatever. Anyway, so there's SOMEONE sitting on top of a crab and...wait, isn't it time for Crabfest at Red Lobster? I could really go for a Crab Lover's trio right about now. Although, I did get sick the last time I ate at the one off exit 54 but it could have been unrelated. You know, I might just give them another shot; looking at this succulent rock lobster for like the last 5 minutes has really gotten my mouth watering. Hah! Rock Lobster. I just LOVE Family Guy. Anywho, there's a pencil sketch of a guy and his lobster. Chapter 9. Damnation. Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing....I said guy again, didn't I. Jeez! You know, I put in my two week notice yesterday and I have totally checked out."
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

LadyArianna

• Level 2
  • Must. Eat. Sugar.
    • View Profile
    • The Idiot Pill
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Hi, so I got the WOK audiobook but I realize that there will be no illustrations in it.
Is there a place to see the illustrations outside the audiobook and how do I know when I should/should not look at them to not get spoiled by something I haven't read yet? 

No spoilers in this thread please.  Thanks.

I'm not sure where you can see them other than the book itself, but there are no spoilers in the artwork as far as I can tell.  If I run across any of it online I'll post it in this thread  :)
"I generally prefer introductions before theology. Lunch too, if it can be found. Perhaps a nice nap. Actually, practically anything should come before theology. But especially introductions." - Hoid

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
I'm not sure where you can see them other than the book itself, but there are no spoilers in the artwork as far as I can tell.

I don't know how significant, and I haven't finished the book yet thanks to these 18 hour work days the last couple weeks, but Dalinar mentions trying to figure out the pattern of the shattered plains or something along those lines. Obviously, pattern doesn't have to mean the actual layouts of the plains but the map is there and would definately add to the reading experience.

Is it acceptable to scan the images and send to Kain or are there other options available?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
It'd be cool if they included some kind of digital version of the artwork for people who buy the ebook.  Maybe brandon will post it on his website if someone can ask him.  Would like to see it very much.

I will likely buy a copy of the book in addition to the audiobook but I want a signed copy so I'll have to order it and I live overseas so its going to take awhile to get it.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
Just a warning for a lot of people, I've heard from a very reliable source that all of the images won't be included in the paperback version of the book.  So it is doubly worth it to purchase the hb, just to make sure you have the images.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

agibson

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:41:09 AM »
Just a warning for a lot of people, I've heard from a very reliable source that all of the images won't be included in the paperback version of the book.  So it is doubly worth it to purchase the hb, just to make sure you have the images.

Interesting, perhaps Peter could comment on this.

We've been having a similar conversation over on the eBook thread.  Reports are that while most/all of the illustrations are included in the eBook, they seem not to have been included at a very high resolution.  The text is apparently fuzzy, etc.

It would be fun if there were some other way to get the illustrations.

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »

Interesting, perhaps Peter could comment on this.

We've been having a similar conversation over on the eBook thread.  Reports are that while most/all of the illustrations are included in the eBook, they seem not to have been included at a very high resolution.  The text is apparently fuzzy, etc.

It would be fun if there were some other way to get the illustrations.

If someone can tell me what pages they are on I can confirm or deny them being like that on Sony's one.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
Is the quality of the ebook art a publishers decision or is it limitations of the kindle? That would imply the art may be better on higher end devices like the iPad.

agibson

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
Is the quality of the ebook art a publishers decision or is it limitations of the kindle? That would imply the art may be better on higher end devices like the iPad.

The claim was that, even when zooming in, "The text in the art is hard to read."

And this was on the iphone, the kindle-format may be my invention (I suppose
other formats may be iphone accessible).

But maybe the ebook-specific discussion is better suited to the ebook thread.

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
It can be both, depending on the file size they choose the book to be. My books without pictures are about 1MB (Sony) TWoK is 8MB so we might have art that is more readable but I don't know the pages as I haven't started yet.

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
Anyone know brandon or peter that could request they publish the pictures on Brandon's site in the WOK section?  I think it would be very good marketing for the book! :)

kain243

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
The ebook text should totally be sold with the audiobooks... That way we could see the images and search though the text, which is impossible with an audiobook if you want to go back and reread a certain chapter, or part of a chapter, good luck finding that....  I'm at the interlude after part 3 and I don't remember what happened at the other interludes so I wanted to go back and check some things...