Author Topic: Medical rant.  (Read 2477 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Medical rant.
« on: April 19, 2004, 07:46:03 PM »
Okay, in december I saw an emergency physicain for about a minute and a half. All the physician did was ask how I was doing and why I was in the emergency room. All of which I had told the medical assistant and crisis counselor. Then he started the paper work to get me admitted.

So this physician wants $427.00 for just talking to me and saying he didn't know what to do. I had nothing else done, no blood work, I didn't even have my heart rate checked.

I know that doctors put a lot a work to become doctors and have to adhere to a strict policies, but I'm starting to think that a lot of doctors are over-paid. My regular doctor gets paid $63 for a 5 minute visit.

Now I know alot of people who have Phds and have been through years of interning and don't get paid anywhere close to those figures. So why do doctor gets paid so much?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: Medical rant.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 07:53:45 PM »
Yipes, that's terrible, 42!  I hope insurance covers some of it, at least.

I don't know why doctors get paid so much, but it's not always nice to have that much--they've still got to pay off huge debts from school, usually (medical school being rather on the high-end for cost of education), and malpractice insurance costs are absolutely crazy--sometimes costing more than some people make in a year.

I agree though--that much just for talking to you? Again, yipes!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 07:54:31 PM by Brenna »

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 08:17:05 PM »
My insurance won't cover any of this, because it's student insurance and they don't cover much of anything out side of the student health center.

Actually, now I'm thinking that I've been over charged. MY previous visits to the hospital the emergency doctor only got paid about $134.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 08:22:04 PM »
Hospital overbilling is a huge problem because so many people just pay their bills and don't ask.

*sees if she can find the article she was reading about the subject*
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »
Now you are sure this was an physician and not a psychiatrist?  Because a psychiatrist will not even take your heart rate too...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 09:55:42 PM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!