Author Topic: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*  (Read 28668 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
Oh, I thought Ruin and Preservation actually WERE shards.  Shardbearer is confusing to me since that's what they call those who wield Shardblades.

No, i dont think they WERE shards, i think they were just people who HAD shards.

[spoilers] Thus why both of them were able to "Die" and sazed was able to take up both of their powers[/spoilers]

Also, i suppose it is a confusing distinction, isn't it....
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »
Ruin had a body so he was clearly a shard but did Preservation have a body, I mean before Vin?

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Ruin had a body so he was clearly a shard but did Preservation have a body, I mean before Vin?

Yes. There was a part where it talks about some guy falling out of nowhere and falling dead right after vin took his power. That was supposed to be preservation's body, IIRC.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
Now I remember, Thanks

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
Now I wish Brandon had used a different term for people with Shardblades.

This is gonna get really confusing.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Zmann966

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
I always referred to Ati, Laras, etc as Shardholders.

Dalinar, Adolin, Szeth were Shardbearers.
Enjoying The Way of Kings?
Come on over to www.Adonalsium.net and discuss some of the deeper cosmere theories!

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
I wonder if we'll see our friendly-neighborhood Terrisman in one of these books.  I hope so

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
I always referred to Ati, Laras, etc as Shardholders.

Dalinar, Adolin, Szeth were Shardbearers.

Probably a better distinction.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 02:30:23 AM »

If there /are/ Dula around I'd assume they came through the Shadesmar.  Or maybe that's how they got to the world Elantris takes place on, which is escaping me right now.  I want to say Sel, but that may be Warbreaker.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »
Elantris is on Sel, yeah.

Or maybe they used the teleportation Aon. We saw in Elantris that it can take people beyond the range that Aons are effective. It might work for interplanetary travel, although to be honest, that seems like a bit of a stretch.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »

Or maybe they used the teleportation Aon. We saw in Elantris that it can take people beyond the range that Aons are effective. It might work for interplanetary travel, although to be honest, that seems like a bit of a stretch.
That's a possibility, but that would be a very one way trip.  Unless something really significant happened that we're not aware of, I doubt Raoden and Galladon would be willing to up and leave the whole planet like that.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

zebobes

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »
Wait, I've read on forums that Elantris is set on the planet Opelon, and others that say on Sel. Which is the correct one, and if one is correct, then what is the other word/world then?

Do the people on their respective planets know what their world is called, out of curiosity?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Opelon is the continent. Sel is the world.

And no, not necessarily. The Steel Ministry, for example, did not call the planet Scadrial.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »

That's a possibility, but that would be a very one way trip.  Unless something really significant happened that we're not aware of, I doubt Raoden and Galladon would be willing to up and leave the whole planet like that.
True.

Of course, since Raoden and Galladon are immortal, we have no idea what kind of timeframe we're talking about. For all we know, the chapter 2 epigraph is a reference to Rayse completely destroying Sel.

Although, again, it's unlikely.

It's also possible that (they think) that Hoid can take them back once they find him.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 03:51:45 AM »
When brandon says sections refer to Elantris, I think he's talking about the mention of Aona (Aon, get it?) and Skai dieing as a result of Rayse's visit to Sel. 

Also, I'd like to make a distinction: Ruin and Preservation ARE shards.  Ati and Leras were the people who held them.  They BECAME Ruin and Preservation once they took up the shards, so technically now Sazed could be call both Ruin and Preservation.

Since Ati and Leras both gave their names to the metals that are their body (Lerasium and Atium), what can we make of Aona's name, which is surely the root of Aon?  Are Elantris shards bound in language somehow?  And is there any 'Skai' sounding word in the book?

I don't think it's Galladon.  Roshar is too far away for them to cover up their Elantrianness with illusion.  Also, going to Teod does not make Raoden appear less Elantrian, so I think their appearance is not tied to the city once they have fully transformed...  Clubs is every bit as grumpy as Galladon, and yet they are not considered the same person.

I think what fRR post means, is that those three ARE from another world, but not characters we know...
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier