Author Topic: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*  (Read 28760 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 04:21:58 AM »
I can tell you this one: you're onto SOMETHING but you're looking at it a little too specifically.  But, good for your thinking.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »
I can tell you this one: you're onto SOMETHING but you're looking at it a little too specifically.  But, good for your thinking.

Yeah. Brandon was actually dropping some major hints about this scene at the signing i just got back from.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »
I'm not really sure how to phrase this tactfully... it's not something I've ever been good at.

I've noticed that some people on these forums have access to "insider information". I assume you're one of them?

Let the wild guesses commence!

Umm... maybe it's just a Dula, and not Galladon specifically? The only thing that pointed to him was temperament, and even that wasn't made too clear.

Am I getting warmer?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 04:58:53 AM »
I've noticed that some people on these forums have access to "insider information". I assume you're one of them?

Yeah, there is a significant number of people around here with insider info. It's one of those things you get used to after a while (that is, not getting to be one of the "cool kids" :P)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:19 AM »
I've noticed that some people on these forums have access to "insider information".
Hehe, we talked about this at the signing yesterday.  They're not quite on the inside but also not on the outside either.  They're stuck in the wall.  Me, I'm slightly farther outside, but I'd like to think I'm not quite on the outside either.

Maybe she means that you're being too specific with the characters, or perhaps where they're from.  I don't know, she hasn't informed me on this specific tidbit.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
I think fRR's statement is needlessly confusing.

If you ask the right yes/no question to Brandon at a signing, he might say something about your theories.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 01:01:46 PM »
I've noticed that some people on these forums have access to "insider information".
Hehe, we talked about this at the signing yesterday.  They're not quite on the inside but also not on the outside either.  They're stuck in the wall.  Me, I'm slightly farther outside, but I'd like to think I'm not quite on the outside either.

Maybe she means that you're being too specific with the characters, or perhaps where they're from.  I don't know, she hasn't informed me on this specific tidbit.

yeah, there's different levels of being "in" around here, too. For example, peter is brandon's assistant, so he knows just about everything, inkThinker (who doesnt come around TOO terribly often these days) is like brandon's "idea buddy" i think, that is, brandon bounces ideas off of him before he actually writes them down. Which of course puts him pretty deeply in. Miyabi has a pretty deep connection i think, too. As far as I know, those three are the deepest in the "i cant tell you this" stuff, but there could be more i could be forgetting :D
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 02:38:31 PM »
If you ask the right yes/no question to Brandon at a signing, he might say something about your theories.
Well, the Mystery Galaxy Bookstore signing on the tenth is pretty close to me, so I'll see if I can make it then and ask him.

Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Hmm... so, anyone have any idea about the question I should ask? "Are these characters from Sel" might be a bit too specific if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:42:32 PM by Munin »
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »
Well, the Mystery Galaxy Bookstore signing on the tenth is pretty close to me, so I'll see if I can make it then and ask him.

Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Hmm... so, anyone have any idea about the question I should ask? "Are these characters from Sel" might be a bit too specific if I'm wrong.

At the signing here in st. louis, he hinted that some of the parts involving Hoid MAY or MAY NOT contain shardbearers from other books mentioned specifically by name. Someone asked if any of the previous shardbearers were named in this book within the hoid scenes, and he kinda did the hem-hawin' back and forth and gave a "maybe". I don't know if this helps, but it seems pretty pertinent to the current situation we're talking of.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not too clear on the terminology here.

What exactly is a shardbearer, outside of the context of Roshar? Does that just mean someone from one of the worlds with a shard active on it?

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not too clear on the terminology here.

What exactly is a shardbearer, outside of the context of Roshar? Does that just mean someone from one of the worlds with a shard active on it?

A shardbearer is someone who HAS one of the shards. Such as ruin or preservation. They were both shardbearers. The shardbearer from elantris hasn't been named yet, i dont think, so i dunno who's the shardbearer there. They're essentially the "Gods" of the worlds, where they aren't actually a god, per say, they just have god-like powers because of the shards.

That should be mostly correct, did i get any part of that wrong, anyone else who remembers this stuff more readily than me?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
Ah, yes, that sounds right.

I just don't think well in the mornings.

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
Oh, I thought Ruin and Preservation actually WERE shards.  Shardbearer is confusing to me since that's what they call those who wield Shardblades.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »

No prob. Also, as we know we are obviously on to something here, i will say this.

Last night at the signing, brandon said that there are references to elantris, as well as hints to the nature of the shards from elantris, and direct references to elantris events, so i think we are on to something here. He said most people who haven't read the other books will likely just ignore and pass up these sections as nothing in particular, so i presume they're fairly subtle.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »

No prob. Also, as we know we are obviously on to something here, i will say this.

Last night at the signing, brandon said that there are references to elantris, as well as hints to the nature of the shards from elantris, and direct references to elantris events, so i think we are on to something here. He said most people who haven't read the other books will likely just ignore and pass up these sections as nothing in particular, so i presume they're fairly subtle.
Well, there was the mention that Rayse spent time on Sel (and that it ended disastrously).