Author Topic: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*  (Read 31899 times)

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: First Interlude *Way of Kings SPOILERS*
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2010, 05:52:20 PM »
Better yet, don't even mention WoK so that Brandon won't get suspicious.
[/paranoid]
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
Better yet, don't even mention WoK so that Brandon won't get suspicious.
[/paranoid]

once again, likely a good idea. Something like "In elantris, you say that the farther elantrians are from elantris, the weaker they get. What would happen if they, say, discovered space travel, and went to another planet? Would they become zombie like again? Or would they become normal? or would they die?"

That's how i'd phrase it, or something like that. Just to seem like an innocent "man, i really like elantris and put too much thought into weird questions about it!" kind of question.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
Would they become zombie like again? Or would they become normal? or would they die?"

The problem with this idea is that the Shaod predates the city of Elantris. As per the Elantris annotations, the city of Elantris strengthened abilities that were already present. So taking an Elantrian away from the city would reduce their power, but it wouldn't turn them into zombies.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:28 PM »
Would they become zombie like again? Or would they become normal? or would they die?"

The problem with this idea is that the Shaod predates the city of Elantris. As per the Elantris annotations, the city of Elantris strengthened abilities that were already present. So taking an Elantrian away from the city would reduce their power, but it wouldn't turn them into zombies.
The question isn't about taking them away from Elantris, it's about taking them away from the Dor, which originates on Sel.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:32 PM »

Right, but thats in terms of the context of anywhere on the planet. Anywhere on the planet, the flow of the dor is stronger than it was when the Reod was present, since only a small trickle came through. The Reod was a result of almost no Dor getting through to the elantrians. Presumably, as they move away from the planet, the Dor will slow to a trickle again, because the Dor is coming from the shards.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

DataPath

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:18 AM »
The question isn't about taking them away from Elantris, it's about taking them away from the Dor, which originates on Sel.
Heh.  It's not about taking them away from Elantris, or about taking them away from the Dor.  It's about taking them away from the power of Aona.

The Dor doesn't originate on Elantris.  AonDor is a way to *access* the Dor.  Just like Mistborn don't get power from the metals they burn, but rather, burning the metals gives them access to the power.

In Elantris, there's references to the Jeskeri having a true understanding of the Dor.  In Liar of Partinel, Hoid was a Jesk.

Hoid in TWoK made the smoke of the fire dance when he told a story.  That sounds similar to the Lightweaving used in LoP, only vastly simpler.  Maybe some of the shard powers can be used anywhere, and some only work in proximity to the shard, but I suspect that AonDor is only as strong as it is in Elantris because Elantris is a huge focus for their power.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2010, 02:54:48 AM »
In Liar of Partinel, Hoid was a Jesk.
The use of Jesk in Liar isn't a connection to Elantris. From this thread:
Quote from: EUOL
Ookla, you have a very good point on Jesk/Hoid.  I should probably change jesk.  It's a left-over from Dragonsteel Prime, but right now it's kind of a distraction.

He just used the same name, and never changed it since Dragonsteel didn't get published.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:43:52 PM by Munin »

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
Ok, so here is my theory on the identities of the three travelers in the interlude.

First off, Grump is Galladon. I can't believe people are even debating this one. The fact that his skin isn't glowing or silver isn't even a consideration. Elantrians can create food out of thin air, I'm sure they can come up with a good disguise or change their shapes.

Second: I think Blunt is Shuden. He matches the description and when he spoke in the books he was, well Blunt.

Third, I think Thinker is Kiin. He matches the description and towards the end of Elantris he is fighting half a dozen soldiers and they stop him by smashing him in the head with a rock, thus the scar.

Also, he seems to talk like Kiin. In Elantris when his friends start to argue, he interrupts them, starting his sentence with  the word "Gentlemen." Thinker does the same. Also, Kiin has an unusual background that I think makes him an interesting choice. Its hinted at that he should have been king and its said that he's one of the most well traveled men, with various relics from his traveling days. Who better to take if you're going to another world?

I"ll admit, Shuden as Blunt is pretty weak. Mainly because Blunt is described as a solider and Shuden didn't strike me as the solider type.

Then again, part of me wants to  say that one of them is Ham. I could see Thinker being Ham. (Ham also took at head wound at the end of HoA).
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Ok, so here is my theory on the identities of the three travelers in the interlude.

First off, Grump is Galladon. I can't believe people are even debating this one. The fact that his skin isn't glowing or silver isn't even a consideration. Elantrians can create food out of thin air, I'm sure they can come up with a good disguise or change their shapes.

Second: I think Blunt is Shuden. He matches the description and when he spoke in the books he was, well Blunt.

Third, I think Thinker is Kiin. He matches the description and towards the end of Elantris he is fighting half a dozen soldiers and they stop him by smashing him in the head with a rock, thus the scar.

Also, he seems to talk like Kiin. In Elantris when his friends start to argue, he interrupts them, starting his sentence with  the word "Gentlemen." Thinker does the same. Also, Kiin has an unusual background that I think makes him an interesting choice. Its hinted at that he should have been king and its said that he's one of the most well traveled men, with various relics from his traveling days. Who better to take if you're going to another world?

I"ll admit, Shuden as Blunt is pretty weak. Mainly because Blunt is described as a solider and Shuden didn't strike me as the solider type.

Then again, part of me wants to  say that one of them is Ham. I could see Thinker being Ham. (Ham also took at head wound at the end of HoA).

Not sure about Shuden or Kiin, as I haven't read Elantris in a while. I do however agree with you on the glowing; it would be easy to change. There are so many possible explanations! Maybe it happens when they are too far away, maybe it doesn't. Either way, it doesn't matter. Creating a disguise that would last separated from the Dor shouldn't be too hard, plus think of this. They are part of an organization that is called the 17th shard, and likely has members that use nearly every one of Brandon's magic systems, including ones we don't yet know about. Shouldn't it be relatively simple for the 17th shard to find one way to disguise one of their members, so that they could use a skilled and knowledgeable operative without him glowing and scaring off he locals?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

I hadn't considered Kiin, but that would make some sense. Though the other candidates (Raoden and Ham) fit the name better.

Blunt is the real mystery to me. Sure, it could be Shuden, but the only connection there is skin color. I just don't think we hear enough about this guy to know who he is.

It's also entirely possible that Thinker and Blunt (and Grumpy, for that matter) are entirely new characters. That being said, I'm still reasonably confident that Grumpy is Galladon.

So, Erik, have you finished WoK now? I know you said you were still going through it at the signing...

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »
LOL, no. I'm barely a few chapters past the interlude  :D
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2010, 12:42:38 AM »
LOL, no. I'm barely a few chapters past the interlude  :D
You're braver than I am, then. I would have been too afraid to step into this thread for fear of spoilers.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2010, 03:24:08 AM »
I think it's worth remembering Brandon's philosophy on magic systems as sciences: we'll never know everything.  It'd be silly to think Raoden would suddenly lose interest in discovering all he could about AonDor.  Finding a way to detach distance from the equation for accessing the Dor doesn't seem terribly unlikely. 

As for losing silveriness -- if Elantrians are at all like the Returned, perhaps they can eventually learn how to interact with their "divine" aspects.  I.e.  [Warbreaker Spoiler] Vasher's inverted breath [/spoiler].

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure that we can't know that Grump is Galladon.  His speech patterns are somewhat similar to how Gallandon speaks, but it's hardly unique to him.  Part of it is just Brandon's voice leaking through, folks.  Blasphemy, I know, but Kaladin often uses "Friend" in the same way Grump does here.  It's just not compelling enough.  We don't know enough, people!

Is he a Dula from Sel?  Probably.
Nature hates being reified.

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »
This might be nitpicking a bit but this is really bothering me. I think you guys have the whole Reod thing wrong. The Elantrins didn't become "zombies" because the dor was cut off or slowed down. They became zombies because after the chasm was added to landscape the Aon was suddenly INCOMPLETE, thus their transformation into elantrins got "stuck" halfway through. Now I have no idea what would happen if they went to another planet. But they wouldn't become zombies again. That was a very unique set of circumstances. (Which it now seems was orchestrated by odium)