Author Topic: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?  (Read 10694 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
Hoid wasn't planethopping before then, either.

Citation needed? I probably agree with your assessment, but still, we don't know or have any evidence to support such a statement.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
I guess I don't have citation, it was just something I assumed.  We know that he was there when Adonalsium shattered, right?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
I was actually looking for a quote from the book, which Chaos provided, thank you.

Interesting points, happyman.  But perhaps Ruin didn't think to block it until it was too late because Preservation's use of it was so subtle.

Maybe.  But that doesn't remove Sazed's comments that the number 16 goes much deeper than just the fight between Ruin and Preservation.
Nature hates being reified.

neverborn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:01 AM »
When I was reading I got the impression that there were three shards on the planet, The Almighty, Cultivation and the third - perhaps named Desolation and also goes by Odium (or Odium is associated with the shard somehow.) As much as "Desolation" was thrown around .. and the way it fits with the naming convention of shards, it seemed to make sense.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:20 AM »
Odium is the name of the Shard. (It's just a much more obscure word than Cultivation, Ruin, or Endowment, etc.)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

sdelu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
I'm not as familiar with the cosmere stuff as the rest of you, but just from this alone...

Quote from: US hardcover p 648
Child of Tanavast.  Child of Honor.  Child of one long since departed.  The sudden voice shook Kaladin; he floundered in the air.
   The Oathpact was shattered.

Could Tanavast be the name of the Almighty?  Or at least one of the shards/shardholder dudes?  Or is Tanavast something in-world?

I mean, "child of one long since departed."  We know the Almighty is (likely) dead and that he made humans on Roshar, and we don't know for how long he has been departed... but considering the most recent vision we get to see from Dalinar is the day of Recreance, that would certainly be a long time ago.

So then, "Child of Tanavast" and "Child of one long since departed" could be the same? And could the Almighty be "Honor"?

Or maybe Tanavast held the shard named Honor, and that's where Kaladin's magic (and maybe the Nahel bond) comes from?

I feel like there's something big in those lines, I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right direction.

Edit -- More likely, perhaps Tanavast is one of the Heralds?  The Herald of Honor?  That might make more sense, considering the talk of the Oathpact.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:12:02 PM by sdelu »

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Herald of honor, perhaps.

Or maybe the leader of one of the orders of the Radiants?
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
The Radiants were said to be founded by the heralds, perhaps Tanavast is the herald who founded the windrunners?

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »
well talanels titles are
Talenel'Elin, Stonesinew, Herald of the Almighty
and stone and sinew are two different essences, so maybe each herald has two properties, and can double as the leader of either order of the radiants just in case one of the others dies or something

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
Or each order of Radiants covered two essences, and used different styles relating to that.

For instance, I'd assume Stonesinew entails making yourself tougher somehow.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
This idea of Stone+Sinew plays pretty well into the theories flying around earlier about the relationship charts on the inside covers.  Since they show a circle of one type (either large or small) always connected to exactly 2 of the opposite type (if small, connected to 2 large.  if large, connected to 2 small).  In this way, each order can use 2 types of magic, and there are exactly 2 orders capable of using any given type of magic.