Author Topic: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?  (Read 10876 times)

Ari54

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: *WoK Spoilers* The Almighty?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
Oh, that he visited, right. Well, that supports my guess that Aona is the Shardholder from Elantris, and that the Elantrians could perhaps be splinters.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
So what shards are we sure are active on Roshar?  We've got the Almighty, Odium, and I believe it's been said Cultivation.  So three so far.  I'm sticking with my theory of five, though.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »
I might have missed something, but I didn't get the impression that Cultivation was definitely on Roshar at any point. Since the shards know each other, from what I understand, then it's also possible that the Almighty was just mentioning someone on another planet who was better at prophecy than him.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
I thought the part two epigraphs were hoid addressing the almighty.  I just thought it was hoid from the second paragraph, I don't know why, though his knowledge of other worlds implies it is him, or at least another shard.  He calls the one he is addressing old several times, which leads me to believe he is an original shard holder.

What he says implies that Aona and Skai were the two shards on Sel, and both are dead, due to the Raod, caused by Rayse/Odium.  I think the "splinters" of them (or of Aona at least) are the Seons.  True, they were around before the raod, but perhaps they acted for Aona as the mists did for Preservation, and now they are just all on they're own... I don't know if that works, but I think the Seons are involved with the shards somehow...

And as the Almighty is dead, we can't really call him an active shard anymore.

Also, I think Hoid's appearance in this book confirms he hops through worlds without a shard.  None of the other shards we have seen ever appear as a solid person until they are dead (true we've only seen two FOR SURE, but I believe it to be true).

New thought: What if the shardblades and shardplates are the splinters of the almighty's power?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:42:28 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
In the interview 17th Shard did with Brandon (which is going to be up soon, I swear) I directly asked him if Cultivation was a Shard on Roshar. It is.

Also, in a different time, he told us there are three Shards on Roshar. I'm not sure I'm supposed to reveal that, but come on. It's pretty obvious from the "3 of 16" thing that there are sixteen Shards total, and three on Roshar.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
I thought the part two epigraphs were hoid addressing the almighty.  I just thought it was hoid from the second paragraph, I don't know why, though his knowledge of other worlds implies it is him, or at least another shard.  He calls the one he is addressing old several times, which leads me to believe he is an original shard holder.

What he says implies that Aona and Skai were the two shards on Sel, and both are dead, due to the Raod, caused by Rayse/Odium.  I think the "splinters" of them (or of Aona at least) are the Seons.  True, they were around before the raod, but perhaps they acted for Aona as the mists did for Preservation, and now they are just all on they're own... I don't know if that works, but I think the Seons are involved with the shards somehow...

And as the Almighty is dead, we can't really call him an active shard anymore.

Also, I think Hoid's appearance in this book confirms he hops through worlds without a shard.  None of the other shards we have seen ever appear as a solid person until they are dead (true we've only seen two FOR SURE, but I believe it to be true).

New thought: What if the shardblades and shardplates are the splinters of the almighty's power?

I doubt we've seen the person that was being addressed in that letter.  The connection to the 17th shard (and the search for Hoid) makes that very unlikely.  And we know that there are more worlds out there than we have seen; we shouldn't assume that all the events being referenced refer to known worlds.  Just some.  Thus I would hesitate to identify any of the shard or shards involved with Sel.

In the interview 17th Shard did with Brandon (which is going to be up soon, I swear) I directly asked him if Cultivation was a Shard on Roshar. It is.

Also, in a different time, he told us there are three Shards on Roshar. I'm not sure I'm supposed to reveal that, but come on. It's pretty obvious from the "3 of 16" thing that there are sixteen Shards total, and three on Roshar.

Yeah, that reference seemed pretty obvious (also, woot for there being 16 shards).  Nice little tidbit about cultivation, though.  I wonder what magic she (?) was involved with.
Nature hates being reified.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
Where does it say there are 16 shards?

Aona seems like a good fit for Sel.  It seems like a good assumption to make.

zebobes

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 02:50:25 AM »
I can't remember... how did we find out that the name for the Elantris world is Sel? And when did we find out about the shard called Cultivation?

Also, if there are only 16 shards, then what's up with the people from the 17th shard?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:13 AM »
Sel is mentioned in annotation, as well as interviews.

Chapter eleven's epigraph states:

"Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."

When you think about there being three Shards on Roshar, this essentially confirms the matter.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:09 AM »
Sel is named in a Q&A Brandon did with, what was it, Barnes and Noble?  It was online on their forum or something.  He also named the other planets at the same time.  Scadrial for Mistborn, Nalthis for Warbreaker and Roshar for Stormlight Archive.

I'm assuming that the 17th Shard is an organization of people who are aware of the existence of Shards and are capable of interacting with them somehow.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 06:37:12 AM »
Well, they study Realmatic theory and can apparently planet hop like Hoid.

* Chaos2651 only knows this because his fansite is called 17th Shard...

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
Where does it say there are 16 shards?

Aona seems like a good fit for Sel.  It seems like a good assumption to make.

To answer this question will take sifting carefully through WoK.  So it's going to be a bit, and frankly will probably end up being done properly by somebody else, but since I made the claim, I thought I'd put out a basic defense of the idea.

Firstly, there are 16 Allomantic metals.  16 was Preservations signal to humanity, and it was chosen because Ruin couldn't block it---it was too fundamental too the way the universe works.  Sazed claims that there are implications of the number much deeper than he had fathomed even with his expanded mind.

With 16, everything comes in pairs of pairs of pairs of pairs.  The symmetry is deep and very beautiful.  Everything has its opposite, every pair has its opposite, etc.

Three of sixteen ruled---that's a pretty strong hint there.  The only things that we have seen in the Cosmere capable of creating worlds have been shards.  Three shards creating the world seems about right for the number of magic systems we are expecting to see, especially if Odium has had a hand in the world, and perhaps created a few more.  (I suspect he has, and that we are going to see magic that makes Hemalurgy seem as innocent as collecting stamps.)  And if Brandon said that three shards created Roshar---then there are almost certainly sixteen shards total.  (Interestingly, the Almighty claimed to have created humanity.  Perhaps the other two created other parts.)

The anonymous letter in the bumps in Part 2 refers to the "17th Shard," but by its very name it suggests that it isn't truly a Shard, but something else involved in the mythos that interacts with the 16 true shards.

In short, it would take a lot of counter-evidence to convince me that there are not 16 shards.  It was already the most likely number anyway.
Nature hates being reified.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:59 AM »
I was actually looking for a quote from the book, which Chaos provided, thank you.

Interesting points, happyman.  But perhaps Ruin didn't think to block it until it was too late because Preservation's use of it was so subtle.

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
Is there any chance that "the almighty" isn't just a shard, but Adonalsium?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
Not really, Odium is a Shard, which wouldn't exist before Adonalsium shattered.  Hoid wasn't planethopping before then, either.