Author Topic: WoK: Shalan - near end of book **SPOILERS**  (Read 25918 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: WoK: Shalan - near end of book **SPOILERS**
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »

Shallan is one of my favorites as well.  My favorite though is Szeth-son-son-Valano.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Munin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 04:52:16 AM »
Thanks.
I'm smacking myself in the head for missing such obvious clues.
Hey, you're not the only one. I finished the book, came on the forums, saw this thread, and had the same reaction.

"Shallan has a shardblade?! When did that happen?"
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »
The first time she alludes to it.  "A secret ten heartbeats away." (paraphrasing) I immediately thought.  "HOLY CRAP, SHE HAS A SHARDBLADE!!!"  And freaked out, repeating that over and over for about a minute.  I'm really glad I was alone in the room at the time.  But it was freaking AWESOME.  Brandon is an evil genius to just slip something like that in so casually.  I was thinking that Shallan was going to be boring and then that happened.  It was sweet.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
i am sure she used it to kill her father because the shardblade also cut the soulcaster. Thats why it was cleanly severed. I find a couple possible plot holes in shallans story though. If she has a shardblade (which we assume with evidence she does) than why did she not sell it. The cost would have cleared any debts the family had without question. Also, after she was poisened jasnah fraked out causing shallan to give her the soulcaster. However, because jasnah had always used a fake she would not have freaked and shallen would have not needed to give it to her and she wouldn;t have been exposed.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
i am sure she used it to kill her father because the shardblade also cut the soulcaster. Thats why it was cleanly severed. I find a couple possible plot holes in shallans story though. If she has a shardblade (which we assume with evidence she does) than why did she not sell it. The cost would have cleared any debts the family had without question. Also, after she was poisened jasnah fraked out causing shallan to give her the soulcaster. However, because jasnah had always used a fake she would not have freaked and shallen would have not needed to give it to her and she wouldn;t have been exposed.

There may be unknown to us reasons why she couldn't sell the Shardblade.

Could you explain more on the part I italicized please?  I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »
Jasnah can Soulcast without a Soulcaster, but she still needs the Stormlight-infused gems just like the Ardents do, and she didn't have the correct gem (a garnet) handy at the moment.  The lack of the gem is why Jasnah was "freaking out", and Shallan revealing the theft only saved her because she happened to have an infused garnet either in the soulcaster or with it in the same pouch.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 02:49:31 PM »
I would assume she didn't want to sell the shardblade for fear of attracting attention to herself.

First off, how would you approach someone with an offer like that? She may have been afraid that anyone who could actually buy it would just kill her and take it. Or worried that they would try to figure out how she got it, and learn that she killed her father.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:02 PM »
Shallan didn't know that Jasnah could Soulcast without a fabrial until after the bread poison incident.  She thought that Jasnah wouldn't be able to help her because the fabrial was a fake and gave her back the one she took, not knowing that that too had been fake.  She didn't figure it out until later.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

word

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
As far as Shallan murdering her father goes, why are people speculating that she killed him with the shardblade? There is a chapter where she begins to draw her father dead at a table, with blood coming from a wound.  Shardblades don't work like that. However, I do agree that the shardblade is definitely what broke the soulcaster.

Got a quote from the book..

"Shallan froze, realizing for the first time what she'd been drawing. Not another scene from the alleyway, but a lavish room with a thick, ornamented rug and swords on the walls.  A long dining table, set with a half-eaten meal.

And a dead man, in fine clothing, lying face-first on the floor, blood pooling around him."

Also, after she was poisened jasnah fraked out causing shallan to give her the soulcaster. However, because jasnah had always used a fake she would not have freaked and shallen would have not needed to give it to her and she wouldn;t have been exposed.

Whether or not she needed the soulcaster, Shallan thought she needed it.  And Jasnah did say that she needed a garnet to do the soulcasting, which Shallan had in her safepouch...which is also where the soulcaster was.  So Shallan would have for sure died if she hadn't opened up her safepouch and revealed its contents to Jasnah.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:17:11 PM by word »

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
you got me. on the garnet. It was 4:00 in the morning after finishing the book so i admit defeat.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
DID Jasnah actually need tha garnet?  Keep in mind ,there were others around.  Perhaps it was merely cover.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
no i believe blood can only be soulcast with a garnet. Thats how shallen turned the goblet to blood upon returning to the shadesmere. Notice that Shallen and Kaladin and i am assuming jasnah have powers that they are not born with but rather come from a relationship with spren. It's not inborn and likely doesn't increase in liklihood through bloodlines. I doubt her father had a spren and rather used the caster as it was intended.

In answer to miabi's comment (too far back to quote appearently) i doubt he was using it as a cover because he was dealing with the ghost group and they supplied the fabrial. He wouldn't have needed a supplier or owed debts if he was bonded to a spren.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

It says in the text though that he used the fabrial.  Don't have my book with me atm so I can't quote.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »
I thought I'd add one little tidbit I found.  Unfortunately I don't have the book with me, and can't go look it up for reasons to complicated to go into here, but I found a quote that establishes with near-certainty that Shallan got the Shardblade from her father.

Basically, immediately before Shallan soulcasts for the first time, while being chased, she summons her Shardblade.  The text itself says something along the lines of "She had a defense that was ten heartbeats away.  No, not that!  She had promised not to use it, the fruit of her most heinous act.  But she began the summoning anyway."  Then she goes into Shadesmar, and the scene becomes even more bizarre.  Reading between the lines, it's about certain she got her Shardblade from her father after killing him.
Nature hates being reified.

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »
I thought I'd add one little tidbit I found. Unfortunately I don't have the book with me, and can't go look it up for reasons to complicated to go into here, but I found a quote that establishes with near-certainty that Shallan got the Shardblade from her father.

Basically, immediately before Shallan soulcasts for the first time, while being chased, she summons her Shardblade. The text itself says something along the lines of "She had a defense that was ten heartbeats away. No, not that! She had promised not to use it, the fruit of her most heinous act. But she began the summoning anyway." Then she goes into Shadesmar, and the scene becomes even more bizarre. Reading between the lines, it's about certain she got her Shardblade from her father after killing him.

I didn't get that impression when i read it but that's maybe a possibillity. It would be good to get page numbers and a second person backing it up.