Author Topic: Aug. 23- RavenstarRHJF- Of Crowns and Kings, Ch. 1.1  (Read 1384 times)

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Aug. 23- RavenstarRHJF- Of Crowns and Kings, Ch. 1.1
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
So yeah... here it is.  Hope it was worth my extended absence and again, I will get to everyone else's stuff soon.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Derby

Re: Aug. 23- RavenstarRHJF- Of Crowns and Kings, Ch. 1.1
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »
For my first  critique on Reading Excuses I have chosen Of Crowns and Kings.  The reason is because it is chapter one and I don't have to be concerned about how the story has developed up to this point.  Please bear in mind that my experience in writing includes mostly stories (and a few poems).  It is difficult for me to judge just a single chapter but I will do my best.

I like the basic structure of the story as far as this chapter takes it.  I think this is strong beginning and it makes me want to read on.

There is very little that I would change as far as wording and story structure are concerned.  There is one word I would change – just my personal preference – it is the last word in this sentence:

“Bolstered by these two level-headed gentlemen, perhaps the rest would be inclined to acknowledge his superb training and not dismiss whatever he said because of his age.”

I would substitute the word youth for age.

On the technical side:  The first word of the story “Alexander” is misspelled.  Every other use of the name spells it correctly so I know it was not an intentional unique spelling.

In the third paragraph the following sentence: “He turned slightly, but the attendants were quicker.”  does not make sense to me.  Am I misreading or what??

On page two: “With respect, I must see his majesty.  No matter how ill--“  Two things here.  The ending quote mark is actually a beginning quote mark.  Also, I suspect you meant to use an ellipse instead of two hyphens.

One more punctuation concern.  You have used a hyphen in several spots where I suspect you meant to use a dash.  You can get the dash by hitting the hyphen key twice in a row.  When you use a dash it should have either a space before it AND a space after it, or it should not have a space in either position.  Which of the two is simply a matter of personal writing style.  There were one or two places where a dash was not really called for.  Of course you may have been trying to show something that I did not see with the dashes in those spots.

And a likely typo. 
On the next to the last page: “No more… strength.  Tried.”  Did you mean “. . Tired?

I hope I was helpful.

Derby

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »
Once again, I am attempting to get caught up with the submissions. There's something about having homework that makes me want to procrastinate on it, and start doing other things I had been procrastinating on previously. Anywho, here we go...

Thoughts while reading...

• Misspelled Alexander's name in the first sentence.

• "The King’s room was in perpetual gloom and very warm.  " This line is very contrasting and a tad confusing; I realize that the gloom is in terms of the lighting and atmosphere, and the warmth is in terms of temperature, but the immediate response I had to this was that the room was simultaneously gloomy and cheerful. From the line right after, I can assume this was not the intent.

• " It would be difficult for anyone to overhear what went on this room when the doors were closed." This may seem odd, but this particular line feels too straightforward. If there's a way to show this, rather than tell it, I think it would work better.

• "the Empire was always inventing new technologies" This intrigues me. I'm immediately wondering what level of technology this world has, or, specifically, this empire.

• Following the last line, the rest of the paragraph feels a bit too info-dumpy, in my opinion. It's not infodumpy in a bad way, necessarily, but I'm wondering if this could be told more smoothly through dialogue between the war council.

• The empire must be truly massive, if it can afford to have an army in the millions. They'll need several million more people in order to grow the food and make the weapons to support such numbers.

Finished.

It's not bad, and I see some potential. The plot that's been shown so far - small country going to war against a vast empire - has the potential to turn out incredibly unique and interesting, or incredibly cliché and derivative. This type of story has been done many, MANY times before, and unless there's something different to make it stand out, I can see myself getting bored with the story. It's very difficult to make an accurate judgment based of a single chapter, though.

I found myself wanting to be shown more of the personalities of the generals. Some argument on strategy, clashing personalities - their nation is on the brink of war with a vastly more powerful and, from the sounds of it, more resourceful enemy, not to mention their king is very literally about to die. These men seem too calm despite all of this; I'd expected them to be tense, shouting at each other, arguing over what needs to be done. One of them must think they have a better idea of how they should fight, or even a better idea of who should rule the country. As it is now, most of them feel kind of flat. I'm given an inkling as to individual personalities, but not enough. I'm also wondering what these men look like.

The writing, throughout most of it, felt very sparse. It was good, but it was sparse. Personally, I prefer things to be more decriptive. You don't have to overload me with details, but a line or two about General #1's bushy mustache, or the maps on the walls of the council room - the little things that give me a clearer picture of what's going on, where it's going on, and who is making it go on. For me, it also adds to the immersion factor of the story.

Alexander, I thought, was written very well. I got a strong impression of the character from the first few lines, and I could feel his pain near the end of the chapter.

The pacing is very good. I felt everything flowed very well, and was easy to understand. (Just needed more detail :P )

In summation, there's a lot of good in this, but there is the strong potential that it could become derivative. I'd like to see more showing in several places - or maybe it's the lack of detail. I'm not certain. There weren't many places where I feel like I was being told things, yet it didn't feel like i was being shown them either...

Hope this was of some help. I look forward to the next chapter ^^
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
I like the start of this story, it looks like it can go places. You’ve got instant tension for your main character; his father’s death, he’s soon to become king, he has to earn the trust of his subjects, his country is about to be invaded, etc.

There are two things I want to touch upon, one is a matter of style, the other about logistics.

The first thing is that your descriptions are rather on the lean side. When I was reading I got into Alexander’s head pretty well, but his surroundings, what the people were doing and even what they looked like, isn’t really there. I’d like to see more of the environment Alexander’s in.

The second thing is about the army of Carn. In short, I can’t believe it exists. Now, when you write that:

Carn can afford to field millions against our thousands.

You may have the character exaggerate the numbers, but I doubt it since this is a serious strategy meeting, Gevron doesn’t seem like the type, and the number Alexander’s army consists of sounds accurate.

In any fantasy setting an army of millions is rather unlikely. There are an enormous amount of resources needed to support an army. For instance you need food; in this case for millions of people, which has to be grown on fields by farmers (it’s not SF, there are no replicators (I assume)) who also need to eat.

Your army doesn’t go around naked, so you also need blacksmiths for weapons and armour (enough for millions) and mines and quarries for the ore to actually make the weapons, which means you also need miners. You can see the number of people needed to support millions of soldiers will go up very fast and, yes, these people also need food to live.

Continuing, your army of millions isn’t stationary, which means you need a supply chain to get the food to the soldiers. For that you need an army to actually manage such a supply chain. Even if you let the soldiers forage what they need from the land they pass through it will not be enough, the army will ravage through whatever it finds like a horde of locusts – leaving the land as close to useless as you can probably get and it will still lose people because it can’t support itself.

On the whole you may need ten times the number of people for every soldier in your army, which can come to 10 million to start with and this is just the population to support the army and nothing else.

Here are some numbers from our world:
China: Population=1,339,117,000 army personnel=1,600,000
India: Population= 1,186,790,000 army personnel=1,100,000
United States: Population= 310,080,000 army personnel=477,800

About one in a thousand people is in the army in our time. This will translate into a population of 1,000,000,000 people in Carn for an army of one million. But you say millions, so it’s at least 2,000,000,000 – rivaling current day China with two times the US added for good measure. Even if you cut this to one in a hundred or one in ten it’s still a huge population. I haven’t seen a fantasy setting yet capable of supporting that number of people.

The armies of Carn really need to be toned down a lot, because I can’t believe any fantasy empire on any planet can support it.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:29:23 AM »
Very good advice here, guys, thanks!  Particularly as regards the amount of conversation, description, and army sizes.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Zardog

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Zardog.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
Here are my sequential notes I took while reading your story. I'll start off saying that I'm going off of my impressions as I read, so take it as advice from a stranger and filter it appropriately.  I'll try to refrain from offering solutions... though that is always difficult for me as I am learning too, so I tend to think about what changes I would make.

In the first paragraph "but like most people" stood out.  Could go away and the meaning would still be very clear.

Starts off well.  After reading the first sentence, I was asking "why is he sitting at his father's bedside?" - Good... you could even go for throat with "The king was dying." or something stronger as your hook.

I think "King" is only capitalized when it is used in front of a name, like "King George", but if you say "The king ate chicken." it isn't.  Have to check that... hmm...

I stumbled on "He turned slightly, but the attendents were quicker." 

Watch the "ly" adverbs.

"In the gloom Alexander could just make out the line of nose, of mouth among the wrinkles lining his face" - stumbled.

"He looked up and saw that the servant who had answered the door was actually the chief surgeon." Was he at the door that was answered, or the person who answered the door?

"his majesty, your highness." - Confused there too. Who?

Skip the discription of The Lord Commander's office and try to find a way to show me if you can. Like "The generals gathered around a large table in the middle of the Lord Commander's office. Light from a ... faded as it reached for the solid oak walls in the distance.
Guards standing outside the room heard only the faintest of mumbles." - I know, I'm being a little too dramatic, but I hope you see where I am going with this.

"Pale faces met his words." - Good example of showing.

"oh-so-accommodating King Hastin" - If he was accomodating, why was he still in power? Is that sarcasm?

Your thought of guerllia war is good, but 15k heavy foot would create a small encampment and would probably do so in terrian advantageous to them.  Consider that.  You would need to lure them into the trees to gain advantage, or harrass their supply lines.  Just beware of the economic costs of fielding troops.  Some of the other posts covered that quite well.

"The glaring brightness cast.." - another good show example.

You have set up the external conflict. One kingdom standing in the way of an empire. But is that enough? Is there something else that makes your story stand above others? Where is the internal conflict? Where is the interpersonal conflict?

You do have a handle on your writing and it was not at all difficult to read. 

Please note that the questions I asked in my notes are not things you need to give me answers on.  Just things to think about.  Good job. Keep it up.
** All opinions are my own.  Do not presume they are valid. **

Visit my blog: zardog.com