Author Topic: Let's play: Where does my book go?  (Read 2864 times)

clockworkfish

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Art!
Let's play: Where does my book go?
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »
I'm about one-third through the first draft of my book.  My original concept for it was to be a young-adult novel with lots of color illustrations (as I am an illustrator, and part of the motivation to write the story was so I could paint for it as well).  Then I realized, the local book store doesn't seem to have anything like that!  So, before I plunge onward, and paint tons of color illustrations, I need to figure out where the market is.

So, should I be promoting this thing like it's a graphic novel, with lots of color illustrations, but no panels?  (In which case, it would have to have at least one page illustration per page of text, sort of like The Last Hero, by Terry Pratchett, illustrated by Paul Kidby.)

Or, should I be promoting it like it's a YA novel with some color illustrations?  Is there anything like that?

Or, would it not fit into the market right now in its current form?

Ruthie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play: Where does my book go?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
James Owen doesn't do color illustrations, but his works are self-illustrated. Check out Here, There Be Dragons as an example. Note that I have not read anything by him but am aware of him. I think he sells pretty well.

clockworkfish

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Art!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
Thanks!  I didn't know about him, and it looks sort of like what I had in mind.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
Color is very expensive to print. Publishers are not likely to put out a YA-length book that has color illustrations throughout.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
You should also take a peek at UN LUN DUN by China Miéville.  Tons of little illustrations.  Like Peter said, you should go B&W.  Color is too pricey for a novel.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:55:37 PM »
This is hard, because a lot of publishers might be wary of picking up a book like that. Usually they'd want to choose their own illustrator for a project. Also, it's really rare to see YA with illustrations that's not a graphic novel. Illustrated books are much more MG. There are some, granted, but not many. the author for Here, there be dragons was a professional illustrator before that book came out, and I think that's one of the reasons they had him do the artwork.

But the thing about writing and art is that you just gotta do what you love. If you do this project and want to do the illustrations, then do it! No matter what you'd be gaining tons of experience, and you'd be getting better. So go for it. Maybe a publisher will love it, maybe they won't want to pick it up, but you'll never know unless you do it. And in my opinion experience takes all.

clockworkfish

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Art!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

I was afraid about the color illustrations.

I looked at UN LUN DUN and it looks pretty cool!  I definitely like some of the illustrations I saw.  Maybe I should be thinking more about b&w.

I work pretty much only in color, so I think I might want to try it anyway, even if I would have a hard time getting it published.  But this gives me something to think about.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

I was afraid about the color illustrations.

I looked at UN LUN DUN and it looks pretty cool!  I definitely like some of the illustrations I saw.  Maybe I should be thinking more about b&w.

I work pretty much only in color, so I think I might want to try it anyway, even if I would have a hard time getting it published.  But this gives me something to think about.

If you want to see full B&W illustrations as opposed to "doodles" you could also look at Scott Westerfeld's LEVIATHAN.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
Well, if you want to check out some illustrated novels, I don't know many that are for YA other than the ones mentioned, but there are quit a few for adults.

Brom has three out. The Plucker, The Devil's Rose (both of which I know have colored illustrations), and The Child Thief. I have the Plucker, which is gorgeous, but it's Brom, what can you expect?

Yoshitaka Amano has done a few as well that have been published over here. Mateki: The Magic Flute, and Shunjiku, which are colored. And he's illustrated a number of other books as well, but most of those are black and white.

Then there's Charles De Lint, who has out Seven Wild Sisters, A Circle of Cats, and Medicine road. Probably has a few others as well, but these are the only ones I can think of.