Author Topic: Do you want a hand?  (Read 3707 times)

mbarker

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Do you want a hand?
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
LOL! For some reason, a head in a jar asking whether someone wants a hand cracked me up...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Do you want a hand?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:49 AM »
Double punchline is awesome. Also, second panel must be a reference to the H2G2 text adventure.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mbarker

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »
You mean "a maze of twisty passages, all alike?" I thought that was in Colossal Cave, the original adventure game... actually, I'm sure of it. Which might have been recycled for later adventure games?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
Ha! I didn't even notice the hand thing. Yesterdays had me laughing for a solid five minutes, though.

Double punchline is awesome. Also, second panel must be a reference to the H2G2 text adventure.

Oh, wow... the Infocom game? That was frustrating and fun at the same time. Did you ever play the other one Adams wrote for Infocom, Bureaucracy?

This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
I didn't. And we never did beat the original H2G2 text adventure back when we bought the Mac version in like 1986. Though we got close. We never figured out that the thing your aunt gave you that you didn't know what it was was actually a bag of infinite holding, and either we weren't able to get one of the fluffs or we didn't know to put them in the flowerpot and go into the sauna. But the game is online now in a couple different places, and I finally beat it (like...10 years ago?) due to reading cheat guides. :)

The maze of twisty passages line could have been put into H2G2 as an homage.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I kind of figured that the "do you want a hand line" was a bit of a dig on Karl's part. Kaff, of course, seems completely oblivious.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:03:45 AM »
I didn't. And we never did beat the original H2G2 text adventure back when we bought the Mac version in like 1986. Though we got close. We never figured out that the thing your aunt gave you that you didn't know what it was was actually a bag of infinite holding, and either we weren't able to get one of the fluffs or we didn't know to put them in the flowerpot and go into the sauna. But the game is online now in a couple different places, and I finally beat it (like...10 years ago?) due to reading cheat guides. :)

The maze of twisty passages line could have been put into H2G2 as an homage.

I found all the old Infocom games on this website a couple of years ago. They were free to download, due to being in the public domain now. I had to use cheat guides, though, 'cause the original games came with these things (called "feelies" I think) that contained clues that didn't appear in the game itself.

Bureaucracy was based off a real experience Adams had when he moved to a new house, and despite the change of address forms he'd filled out, the bank kept sending stuff to his old address - including his new credit card or bank card, with the old one deactivated. Took him months to get it sorted out, and the bank finally sent him the right stuff - to his old address. The game is hilarious and incredibly frustrating.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »
They're not actually in the public domain. Anyone who said that was fooling himself and others. Copyright lasts at least 70 years. Generally the author's lifetime + 70 years.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »
My mistake. Not public domain, abandonware. Which can be considered copyright infringement, but the copyright holders rarely enforce it. The site has been up, for the most part, since '98 and as far as I know hasn't had legal trouble because of it's content.