Author Topic: Treme  (Read 4760 times)

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Treme
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »
I feel like I've been posting a lot of these different topics about things I've been watching... is it bugging you guys?

Actually on topic:

I just caught the first episode of this show today, shortly after learning of its existence.  It's from David Simon, the mastermind behind The Wire of which I have only seen the first season, but quite loved it.  Set in New Orleans three months after Hurricane Katrina, it follows a number of different characters, ranging from Jazz musicians to lawyers, through their lives in the city.  Like The Wire it is deeply complex, and each character is multi-faceted, but it never feels like too much.  It feels like watching actual people living through the tragic events.

I know that it is green-lit for a second season, thank goodness, and I fully intend to finish this season, and watch the next.  HBO always seems to deliver on its content.  I'm interested in a couple of shows that they are producing right now... Boardwalk Empire, set during prohibition, and written by writers from The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones, which I am sure most of you are familiar with.

Anyway, anyone else seen Treme?  If not, I fully recommend that you check it out if you get the chance.  Make the chance if you can.  :)
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Treme
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I watched a few episodes and found the show incredibly boring.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Really?  Wow!  I just love it.  Though... It seems like a lot of the things that I love, other people find quite boring.  <shrug>

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
It is a stereotyped view of new orleans. Most people down there are not chefs or musicians.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
HBO has a new series starting in the fall called Boardwalk Empire. It is about the start of prohibition and organized crime in Atlantic City. It looks good.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 06:25:36 AM »
I kind of think that is to say that The Sopranos has a stereotyped view of Italians, because most of them are not in the mob.  Sure, most of the characters are chefs or musicians, and then the teacher and the lawyer, but that's because thats the section of the population the story is about.  <shrug>

Also, you're right about that show Boardwalk Empire.  I'm quite interested in checking that out.