Author Topic: Atonement  (Read 2735 times)

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Atonement
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
I picked this book up off of my friend's book shelf on a whim, intending to scan through the first few pages to get an idea of the style.  Instead I ended up sitting there, reading it for the rest of the day until I was finished, basically.  I don't usually read this kind of book, but it was fantastic.  Anybody else?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Atonement
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
I've read it. I found the book itself well-written and engaging, despite the fact that I didn't really like any of the characters. I try hard not to admit that I enjoyed Atonement, though, because the author is one of those literary snobs. Jerk.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »
There is a new fantasy author named Mary Robinette Kowal who writes fantasy that has a similiar tone to Atonement. I have not read either, but I read reviews about them. Her first book just came out. She is now blogging on whatever.scalzi.com while Scalzi is on vacation.

If anyone reads her book, please post about it. It am curious what people think of it. It is a different type of book from what I would normally read.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
There is a new fantasy author named Mary Robinette Kowal who writes fantasy that has a similiar tone to Atonement. I have not read either, but I read reviews about them. Her first book just came out. She is now blogging on whatever.scalzi.com while Scalzi is on vacation.

If anyone reads her book, please post about it. It am curious what people think of it. It is a different type of book from what I would normally read.

Her new book is Jane Austin fantasy.  It's really good if you like that sort of thing.  I hate that sort of thing and still thought it was solid.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 06:33:11 AM »
I just realized that my first post in this thread sounded kind of dismissive. :/ Sorry if it came off that way; I didn't intend it to.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
That's alright Silk.  :P  I didn't realize he was a literary snob, though... I will admit, I tend to enjoy the snobby books, without really realizing they are snobby.  hehe

I've never heard of Mary Robinette Kowal; I think I will check out her book.  Thanks for pointing it out.  :)

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Hmm... there should be an edit button - I have heard of her, I just didn't recognize her name.  I recognize the name of her book, though.  I thought it sounded quite interesting.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 02:51:04 AM »
Hmm... there should be an edit button -

There is one. It's called "Modify" on the top right-hand side of the post between "Quote" and "Delete".
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
So there is!  Right where it always is, on every forum... Uh... I don't think that I have an excuse for this one.  :)