Author Topic: So I'm reading A Feast for Crows...  (Read 7298 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
So I'm reading A Feast for Crows...
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:12:28 AM »
.. and I gotta say I'm disappointed. ASoIaF has been kind of a let down. Everybody who told me to read it was drooling over  how epic it is. It's good, but not that good. I think I enjoyed A Game of Thrones the most, and now I dread having to read anything from anyone that isn't on the Wall. /end rant
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm reading A Feast for Crows...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
I hated GoT but i loved the rest of them lol!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »
If you're looking for storytelling you're not going to find it in ASOIAF.  It's about enjoying Martin's style and prose.  That's what most ppl are drooling over.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:45:37 AM »
I actually like the story. The only storylines I could do without are anything involving the Greyjoys.

But it's a slow-moving series, very exploded. I listened to the audiobooks on long commutes, so at that time, the longer the better was what I was in the mood for. There are definitely a lot of despicable people in the series...which promotes a morbid fascination, to an extent. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:11:42 AM »
I find the story, as well as many aspects of the writing itself, to be remarkably compelling. My main issue with ASoIaF, is the characters.

As of A Feast for Crows, there are perhaps three characters left alive that I actually like. Their stories fascinate me far more than the rest, which means I have to slog through many large sections filled with characters I hate or simply don't care about in order to finally get back to a chapter with Jon or Arya or Daenerys. And Martin's habit of killing off his characters, in particular the ones that readers seem to like the most, prevents me from caring too much about someone else. I don't know of the latter has happened to anyone else while reading, but for me the violence and realism of 'anyone can die' has backfired - the ony time I care anymore is if it's one of the characters I like, and there are so few of those left.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:23:27 AM by Shivertongue »
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:14 AM »
Reading from Cersie's PoV is like taking a hot iron to my brain. Unfortunately I can't skip those chapters, my conscience won't let me XD. At this point I'm just reading this book to say I've read it. Nothing is happening at all, and, in my opinion, is equivalent to Crossroads of Twilight. All I want to read is Arya's PoV. That's become the most interesting.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:51 AM »
Reading from Cersie's PoV is like taking a hot iron to my brain. Unfortunately I can't skip those chapters, my conscience won't let me XD. At this point I'm just reading this book to say I've read it. Nothing is happening at all, and, in my opinion, is equivalent to Crossroads of Twilight. All I want to read is Arya's PoV. That's become the most interesting.

Yeah, I can't skip them either. I sate myself by shouting cuss words in my head at characters I hate while reading their POV.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
I find the story, as well as many aspects of the writing itself, to be remarkably compelling. My main issue with ASoIaF, is the characters.

As of A Feast for Crows, there are perhaps three characters left alive that I actually like. Their stories fascinate me far more than the rest, which means I have to slog through many large sections filled with characters I hate or simply don't care about in order to finally get back to a chapter with Jon or Arya or Daenerys. And Martin's habit of killing off his characters, in particular the ones that readers seem to like the most, prevents me from caring too much about someone else. I don't know of the latter has happened to anyone else while reading, but for me the violence and realism of 'anyone can die' has backfired - the ony time I care anymore is if it's one of the characters I like, and there are so few of those left.

When has Martin ever killed off a character that ppl may have really liked and grown attached to?   Even Eddie wasn't particulary interesting as far as characters go.  As for his son, Martin didn't even give him one POV page so readers barely even knew him before he was killed.  And did anyone really care that Joffrey and the Hound died?  I really don't understand where this myth got started that Martin is willing to kill off anyone.  Truth be told,  Martin hasn't killed off anyone that readers could possibly have grown attached to and a majority of the ones who are dead deserved it.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »

When has Martin ever killed off a character that ppl may have really liked and grown attached to?   Even Eddie wasn't particulary interesting as far as characters go.  As for his son, Martin didn't even give him one POV page so readers barely even knew him before he was killed.  And did anyone really care that Joffrey and the Hound died?  I really don't understand where this myth got started that Martin is willing to kill off anyone.  Truth be told,  Martin hasn't killed off anyone that readers could possibly have grown attached to and a majority of the ones who are dead deserved it.

Okay... potential spoiler warning...

I'm serious.

Different people become attached to different characters. I became attached, quite quickly, to pretty much all of the Starks - although Sansa lost me, for the most part, about halfway through A Game of Thrones. I've started liking her a bit more since.

I found Eddard very interesting, personally. Eddard and Robb were among two of my favourite characters in the beginning, and I admit a fondness for Catelyn as well. Oberyn Martell, Khal Drogo, Jeor Mormont, numerous other minor and non-viewpoint characters that, unfortunately,  can't remember the names of because it's been how many years since A Feast For Crows came out, and I haven't picked up one of the books since.

A character need not be a POV in order for a reader to become attached to them. Yes, it made the impact of some deaths incredibly powerful, especially Eddard and Robb, but after a while I just got tired of it. And where Martin got the reputation... well, by doing it. Go to ASoIaF forums, and you'll find debate threads about who's going to die next, with the more likable characters considered the most likely.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
@Peter: Looks like GRRM is back into Song of Ice and fire mode due to his excitement about the new series. He is posting lots of updates on his blog. He may also have a contract with HBO that requires him to finish the series in a certain amount of time or they may void his contract. So that HBO can make it into a series.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
Ed was cool Robb annoyed the hell out of me, but then again so does his momma. (she's better now though.... much more interesting this last book) I love the realism, it draws the reader in much more so and you start to love even the little s**** of the story like Tyrion because they are ALWAYS in danger. It is in short much more engaging.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »
@Peter: Looks like GRRM is back into Song of Ice and fire mode due to his excitement about the new series. He is posting lots of updates on his blog. He may also have a contract with HBO that requires him to finish the series in a certain amount of time or they may void his contract. So that HBO can make it into a series.

HBO has no bearing on his writing contracts.  More likely he got through the part that was giving him trouble, and now sees a measure of direction for the story.  I don't doubt the interest in the TV series (since he worked in Hollywood for years) has helped him, but to say HBO has any say over his writing the book series is much too hard to believe. 

Edit:  And I too find the story and characters very well done in GRRM's series.  I like that there are characters I love and characters I hate (in my opinion, it's by design--you can tell when he wants you to start liking or disliking a character).  And yeah, a character doesn't need to have entire novels dedicated to their PoV for them to be important, or for the reader to care about them.  So, when Martin kills them off, or cripples them, that sense of danger if fed off onto the other characters.  That's what I like.  That gritty sense of danger pervading the series.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:29:11 PM by Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 09:00:24 AM »
Well I finally gave up, for a little bit. I can't take the nothing happening anymore! Good long break...

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
GRRM posted a followup to someone in one of his blogs that he is more involved in the TV show because:

1. he was not desperate for money so would not sell his books unless he got some authority. I saw an interview with Dianna Gabaldon where she basically said the same thing. The money is nice, but I have money so I won't license this unless I like what I hear.
2. has written TV series before so they trust him more. I believe Goodkind and Jim Butcher were ignored. I don't think anyone from the Tolkein estate were involved either.
3. He is probably making a whole lot of money. If this goes for all 7 books he will get several million dollars.

I get the impression that he is reinvigorated because of the TV series. I think he may have gotten burned out on the books for a while. He made alot of money on these books, lives in a fairly inexpensive area, so didn't really need to work. He also has blogged that the books are very hard for him to write and get alot harder. Sitting down and slogging through something that is incredibly hard and getting hard is not alot of fun.

I think its also because this is his baby and he has really high standards. If he doesn't love what he writes he won't publish it. He could have finished the series already with mediocre books and made alot of money.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:40 AM »
My favourite is Tyrion Lannister. Smart, witty and short.

*Spoiler warning for whole series*

But I hated how GRRM destroyed his reputation at the hight of his power. I was like yes, people are starting to give Tyrion some respect, and then Tywin had to come in and spoil everything.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier