Author Topic: Things to do in Provo while waiting to stand in line.  (Read 8374 times)

DoubleTap45

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Things to do in Provo while waiting to stand in line.
« on: July 30, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
My wife and I are hoping to make it to Provo for the WoK release. We are not sure when we will arrive, either Sunday or Monday.

A couple of questions for the locals:

1) Any recommended places to stay? Or to avoid? I know we will need to spend at least one night (or one morning as it were) in a Provo hotel.

2) Any must visit locations? Good restaurants (we like burger joints)? I'm assuming most places are open on Sunday, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope to see you all there.

Ernie

DoubleTap45

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do in Provo while waiting to stand in line.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
Oh yeah, can we get a copy of WoK to start read while standing in line for the release? They can even put it on a long chain so we can't take it out of line. :) Or maybe a printout of Dragonsteel? A boy can dream.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
Well if you're really really lucky, they might have the one and only copy of Dragonsteel in the library literally a few feet from the bookstore.  Um....There's J-dawgs pretty close to campus, if you like hotdogs.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
I've heard Smash Burger up in Orem is really good.  Haven't been there myself though.  It's about a 10 minute drive from BYU and easily found on Google.  J-dawgs at the south end of campus is awesome.  I'll definitely second that one.  There's always the In-N-Out up in Orem too.  Lotta people like 5 Guys as well (President O being one).  There's one of those up in Orem too.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  Why doesn't Provo have more good places to eat?  Sheesh.

And I just looked up Dragonsteel at the BYU library, but the book is missing.  They have some sort of circulation trace on it but I have no idea how long it's been gone.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
You could stay at the Cottontree, where Brandon worked.

I tried to go to an Arby's in Provo around 1:00 p.m. on the day my daughter was born, but it was Sunday and both of the ones I found were closed. There was a Subway open though.

Pirate pizza by the 5-guys in Orem has awesome fresh-made potato chips. The pizza is okay if you like parmesan cheese.

There are a couple good Korean food places in Provo. I've eaten at Sam Hawk with Brandon a couple of times.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
Another option for Pizza is Brick Oven.  I know of quite a few people here on TWG who like it.

As far as things to do, I've always been under the opinion that there's NOTHING to do except see a movie, or go bowling.  Or go to 7 peaks in the summer, but you won't want to do that while waiting in line.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
BYU itself has two museums—the art museum and the Monte L. Bean natural history museum. Then there's the fish tanks in the hallways of the basement of the Widtsoe building. There are ducks in the botany pond, though probably few baby ducks right now. There are some sciency things to play with in the lobby of the Eyring building. There should be a Leading Edge meeting (in the JKB?) on Tuesday evening if you're still there then.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »
I guess you're right about the two museums Peter.  I tend to forget about the art museum and I've been to the bean museum so many times over the years I think I could tell every one of the exhibits with my eyes closed.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

DoubleTap45

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
Thanks guys. I didn't know In-N-Out was outside CA. I love their burgers. That is a definite. Sounds like the J-Dawgs is a stop too. We have Smash Burger and I think 5 guys out here.

I'll check out Cottontree.

I appreciate all the input.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Provo Pool (450 West 500 South) is $5 a person, and there's a couple slides and an adult pool (apart from the kiddies). Or else the Scera Pool (State Street and 600 South) in Orem for the same price is slightly nicer.

Smashburger is definitely good. One of my favorite places in Orem is Terra Mia (north-east of the University Mall off University Parkway in Orem), an Italian food place with gelato and gourmet pizzas. In the same parking lot is the movie theatre that was built just last year, and it's nice.

And if you've never been to Utah you should probably try Cafe Rio (Tex-Mex), which is either 200 North State Street in Orem or else off University Parkway in Provo (by the Reams/ShopKo).

Tne Fat Cat's Bowling Alley off University Avenue (1000 Northish?) is fun. BYU also has its own bowling alley in the Wilkinson Center on the bottom floor.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »
A short walk from the Library (heading East toward the mountains) you'll find the Creamery on 9th.  They have really good ice creams and their burgers are made from scratch.  And they're cheap.  If budget is an issue, then I'd say go there, but I haven't been in ages.

If budget isn't an issue I recommend Tucanos, an all-you-can-eat Brazillian BBQ place.  It is pretty much my favorite restaurant in the world.  Not only is the meat fabulous, but they have all kinds of salads and sides that are delicious.

As to places to go, if you're an outdoors type person, there are a billion places to hike.  I recommend rock canyon (if you're short on time) or Stewart Falls (if you've got a few hours).
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
As to places to go, if you're an outdoors type person, there are a billion places to hike.  I recommend rock canyon (if you're short on time) or Stewart Falls (if you've got a few hours).

Definitely. There's also a nice paved trail that's up Provo Canyon you can start in one of the parks and takes you past Bridal Viel Falls.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
You know what might be fun, since there seems to be a lot more TWGers coming this time, is if we all went out to eat some place?  I dunno who else is planning on being there, and who all would be interested, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 02:55:35 AM »
I'd be interested in a group meal.

I've eaten at Sam Hawk, and it was indeed delicious. I got food poisoning, but I've never met anyone else who has been poisoned there on accident. Then again, I can't guarantee that my poisoning was an accident either...

My brother who lives up there took me to a pretty delicious pizza place near BYU campus last time I visited him. It was delicious Boston-style thin crust, near the Pizza Factory. I don't remember the name, but it was delicious. The cook is a Bostonian, so I imagine it's genuinely delicious or whatever.

The Creamery is a stop I make on most visits to Provo. I think it's Utah famous for being good.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:01:58 AM »
The restaurant you are thinking of is Nicoitalia, and yes, it is awesome.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot