Author Topic: "The Gathering Storm..."  (Read 2827 times)

CarokV

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
"The Gathering Storm..."
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:09:28 PM »
Thank you for writing this book.  I have been an avid fan of sci-fi and fantasy for 40 years.  I got conned into reading "The Wheel of Time" series by some young friends of mine.  Jordan did a good job of swiping some ideas from other stories to come up with a pretty good story line.  But he just seemed to lose track, I got so bored reading the SOS over again that I started skimming or just skipping over entire sections of the books.  In my opinion you are a much better author than Jordan was...

Looking forward to your wrapping up this story finally. 

Would anyone care to recommend some of Brandon's other books to me?  I am a big fan of Michael Moorcock.

Carok

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: "The Gathering Storm..."
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
Thank you for writing this book.  I have been an avid fan of sci-fi and fantasy for 40 years.  I got conned into reading "The Wheel of Time" series by some young friends of mine.  Jordan did a good job of swiping some ideas from other stories to come up with a pretty good story line.  But he just seemed to lose track, I got so bored reading the SOS over again that I started skimming or just skipping over entire sections of the books.  In my opinion you are a much better author than Jordan was...

Looking forward to your wrapping up this story finally. 

Would anyone care to recommend some of Brandon's other books to me?  I am a big fan of Michael Moorcock.

Carok

Good places to start are either elantris or mistborn. Mistborn is a 3-book series, and elantris is (currently) stand-alone. Both very excellent. Brandon has the beginnings of a long series (10-12 book i think they said) coming out later this year, the first book is called the way of kings.

Other than that, there's warbreaker, which i haven't gotten around to reading yet, but i hear is really good.

There's also Alcatraz, which is more young-adult fantasy than the others.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »
Warbreaker is a great place to start, as it's Brandon's newest, and it's standalone. It's a little different from Elantris and Mistborn, and in some ways it's a bit more complicated, but it's a breeze to read and probably my favourite story of Brandon's at the moment.

Really, I think if you liked TGS, you'll probably like any of Brandon's books. If you're unsure though, you can read Warbreaker for free first from Brandon's website.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »
Harriet started with Mistborn and hired Brandon because of it :)  I started with Mistborn and have handed out at least 4 copies of the first book.  Every one that I gave a first book to ended up buying the other two and finishing the trilogy so I would recommend starting there!  :D

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »
Harriet started with Mistborn and hired Brandon because of it :)  I started with Mistborn and have handed out at least 4 copies of the first book.  Every one that I gave a first book to ended up buying the other two and finishing the trilogy so I would recommend starting there!  :D

yeah, mistborn was my first BS novel too.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:45:33 AM »
I started with Mistborn as well, after hearing Brandon on the Dragonpage podcast. My fiancee started with Warbreaker. I'd say either is good.

I like Elantris, but I think his writing has improved a lot since that book, and so I don't know that I recommend it as a first... and of course, we have The Way of Kings hitting the shelves in just over a month now. That's the freshest of the fresh right there.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
I started with Elantris, by the by. :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
I started with Elantris, which was excellent enough to get me hooked on the author. His writing, however, has gotten far better since then.

Mistborn remains my favorite of his novels. It's the tightest plot-wise of these three potential beginning Brandon novels, and has excellent worldbuilding (not to say that the characters aren't good--they are awesome. It's just the magic system outshines them). Its prose isn't as awesome as Warbreaker, however. Though its hard to knock the fact that Mistborn is my favorite.

So, Warbreaker has been usual recommendation, because I think virtually anyone can get into the story. It's lighter in tone, but just as epic as his other epic fantasies. It has the tightest prose of his published novels (that is, until The Way of Kings), which makes it a wonderful read.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.